CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Sep 25, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #13,351 of 31,833
Sep 25, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #13,352 of 31,833
as I usually agree with your opinions!

I noticed in your list that you have both versions of the KZ ZST... the colorful and the carbon. I only have the carbon and at first I did not like it because it seemed harsh in the vocals to me. After rejecting the A7 for a similar reason (Leonard Cohens voice and some others did not sound right to me and I am very familiar with his voice), I got out my ZST and discovered that it had large Starline tips on it. I usually use medium. Rather than put on medium Starlines, I decided to treat it to my last pair of medium Auvio tips. Hope I can get more. Anyway, now I am enjoying them and am currently burning them in. My question for you is, do you find a difference in sound between your two versions of ZSTs? Have you done the mod to either of them?

I probably would have given more of a chance to the A7 if I had not just missed out on the extra $25 off. I do believe state of mind can play a part in our perceptions. I could even reorder them next week with the discount after my refund goes through but I am not going to. I have too many others that I prefer so it is not worth the trouble for me. I am actually liking the ZST now more than I did them (that one night). When I was listening to them Friday night I had most recently been using the A8 (GK3) clone and much preferred the A8. I think the huge difference in sound signature was too much of a shock.

Sep 25, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #13,353 of 31,833
I am happy you said this because I have the A8 (but not the GK3). I like the sound of the A8. I find it comfortable and enjoyable. I will be interested to see your review. Maybe something was changed when they were rebranded? Someone has said there were production flaws in the earlier GK3s but I have not heard a GK3.

Y**** A8 | 3*DD | Rating: 6.9

Intro
The Y**** are constructionally identical with the GEEK WORLD GK3. If the tuning is the same as the in-ear I can't judge yet, because I haven't received a flawless GK3 yet, but I will update the review if this is the case.

Handling
The A8 are very comfortable to wear. The cables are unfortunately not detachable, which is meanwhile quite good form in the price class (15 €) (TRN, KZ lead the way) and somewhat stiff.
The finish is quite solid and they don't look bad either. Unfortunately, the remote is a bit too high, but the functionality due to the three keys is to be mentioned positively.

Sound
Here I would like to keep myself a bit shorter, as there is also a lot better in the price segment.

The bass is basically pleasant due to its warm character and depth. But this should not deceive about its weaknesses. The higher basses are not very clean and go well into the midrange. It really booms in a negative sense and tends to overdrive.

The mids are a bit unpleasant because he simply lacks substance. They sound unnatural and hollow. The voices come to the front quite well, but the tonality doesn't fit.

The highs are indeed the best of the A8. They are very relaxed, have a pleasant presence without ever becoming hard or sharp. They ensure that the A8 doesn't drift completely into the dark.
Also details can be recognized here, as well as a separation. But that only applies to the heights.
The stage is not bad at all and lies in the good average. However, everything takes place on a horizontal plane.

Outro
I don't want to tear the A8 apart! I'm not entitled to do that either, because there are certainly some who get along with them and they are certainly better than some mobile phone inserts. Nevertheless, three dynamic drivers seem to have been wasted here. The only in-ears where this already worked for me were the I-Into 8.
These headphones are for those who like bass, don't care much about details and are treble sensitive.
You have to keep in mind that at very low volumes the weaknesses aren't too present, but that's not the solution either.
It's certainly not my case, especially when compared to the possibilities and the competition (TRN V20, several KZ models, MAGAOSI HLSX-808 etc.).

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #13,354 of 31,833
These headphones are for those who like bass, don't care much about details and are height sensitive.
You have to keep in mind that at very low volumes the weaknesses aren't too present, but that's not the solution either.

I do not like bloated bass and I do care about details. I am a bit treble sensitve. I never listen at loud volume but I certainly do not listen at very low volume either.

I am using some Sony type wide bore tips. Mids are very important to me because I listen to a lot of singer songwriters. Voices are sounding very natural to me and nothing sounds hollow. We probably have very different ears. Also mine have been burned in for several days. I agree on the comfort and the cable has relaxed a bit. Just looks a bit wrinkly still. Mine were free. They were included for no reason in the box with the BQ3 that my husband ordered. We were surprised and confused when we opened the box. Because he received too much that day, these are mine:)

Sep 25, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #13,355 of 31,833
I feel bad being the odd one out. My Hifi Walker A7 is boxed up and ready to send back to Amazon :frowning2: They are beautiful and super comfy and the cable is decent... but the sound was not for me. They seemed too bright and there was something off with the vocals of some of my favorite singer/songwriters. Burn in or different tips might have helped but I did not have the patience to do all that as I am currently enjoying other iems much more. I think the deal breaker was that they arrived on the day that the 25% discount began. Meanwhile I have the TFZ Exclusive 3 coming that I expect will be more to my taste. I waited until toddy got his before writing this...I did not want to cause worry.
Hey well you're not the only one. After all I can't stand the Artiste and everyone else seems to. Lol

Sep 25, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #13,356 of 31,833
I do not like bloated bass and I do care about details. I am a bit treble sensitve. I never listen at loud volume but I certainly do not listen at very low volume either.

I am using some Sony type wide bore tips. Mids are very important to me because I listen to a lot of singer songwriters. Voices are sounding very natural to me and nothing sounds hollow. We probably have very different ears. Also mine have been burned in for several days. I agree on the comfort and the cable has relaxed a bit. Just looks a bit wrinkly still. Mine were free. They were included for no reason in the box with the BQ3 that my husband ordered. We were surprised and confused when we opened the box. Because he received too much that day, these are mine:)

That can be for sure, or we simply like different frequency responses. Have you ever heard the A8 compared to the BQ3?
What always strikes me is that you get used to "worse" in-ears and adjust your hearing sensation. That's why it's always important to me not to run around with the same earphone every day for a week and then review it, instead of having a change in between. Otherwise, the rating is usually better than it should be and the difference to "better" products is huge when you change again.

Edit: mine were also part of the BQ3, by the way.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #13,357 of 31,833
I received several that I have been waiting for last night and started playing a bit. The BQEYZ KB1 with their new AptX cable came in, as did the NiceHCK EB2 and EBX. I am still finishing up my FH5 notes and got the Dekoni Blue over the weekend so may be a day or two before I get all reviewed but initial listens to all 3 of the newbies show promise.

Sep 25, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #13,358 of 31,833
I noticed in your list that you have both versions of the KZ ZST... the colorful and the carbon. I only have the carbon and at first I did not like it because it seemed harsh in the vocals to me. After rejecting the A7 for a similar reason (Leonard Cohens voice and some others did not sound right to me and I am very familiar with his voice), I got out my ZST and discovered that it had large Starline tips on it. I usually use medium. Rather than put on medium Starlines, I decided to treat it to my last pair of medium Auvio tips. Hope I can get more. Anyway, now I am enjoying them and am currently burning them in. My question for you is, do you find a difference in sound between your two versions of ZSTs? Have you done the mod to either of them?

I probably would have given more of a chance to the A7 if I had not just missed out on the extra $25 off. I do believe state of mind can play a part in our perceptions. I could even reorder them next week with the discount after my refund goes through but I am not going to. I have too many others that I prefer so it is not worth the trouble for me. I am actually liking the ZST now more than I did them (that one night). When I was listening to them Friday night I had most recently been using the A8 (GK3) clone and much preferred the A8. I think the huge difference in sound signature was too much of a shock.

Haven't listened to the ZSTs in a while, but I was one of the camp that didn't mind their bright signature (more evidence that I'm either a treble head or hearing impaired!). From memory there was zero difference apart from the colour, and I think the sound difference theory was just one of those KZ myths that was doing the rounds at the time.

I didn't mod them (as I'm lazy) as I've plenty of other gear that out performs them now, but i may do one these days, just for the hell of it!

Good luck with not buying any more iems by the way, I think we've all been there!

Sep 25, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #13,359 of 31,833
The BQEYZ KB1 with their new AptX cable came in
Are you talking about the TRN BT10 cable? I look forward to hearing some impressions!

Sep 25, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #13,360 of 31,833
Y**** A8 | 3*DD | Rating: 6.9

Intro
The Y**** are constructionally identical with the GEEK WORLD GK3. If the tuning is the same as the in-ear I can't judge yet, because I haven't received a flawless GK3 yet, but I will update the review if this is the case.

Handling
The A8 are very comfortable to wear. The cables are unfortunately not detachable, which is meanwhile quite good form in the price class (15 €) (TRN, KZ lead the way) and somewhat stiff.
The finish is quite solid and they don't look bad either. Unfortunately, the remote is a bit too high, but the functionality due to the three keys is to be mentioned positively.

Sound
Here I would like to keep myself a bit shorter, as there is also a lot better in the price segment.

The bass is basically pleasant due to its warm character and depth. But this should not deceive about its weaknesses. The higher basses are not very clean and go well into the midrange. It really booms in a negative sense and tends to overdrive.

The mids are a bit unpleasant because he simply lacks substance. They sound unnatural and hollow. The voices come to the front quite well, but the tonality doesn't fit.

The highs are indeed the best of the A8. They are very relaxed, have a pleasant presence without ever becoming hard or sharp. They ensure that the A8 doesn't drift completely into the dark.
Also details can be recognized here, as well as a separation. But that only applies to the heights.
The stage is not bad at all and lies in the good average. However, everything takes place on a horizontal plane.

Outro
I don't want to tear the A8 apart! I'm not entitled to do that either, because there are certainly some who get along with them and they are certainly better than some mobile phone inserts. Nevertheless, three dynamic drivers seem to have been wasted here. The only in-ears where this already worked for me were the I-Into 8.
These headphones are for those who like bass, don't care much about details and are treble sensitive.
It's certainly not my case, especially when compared to the possibilities and the competition (TRN V20, several KZ models, MAGAOSI HLSX-808 etc.).
Is it actually confirmed somewhere that the A8 is in fact a 3DD setup? I don't see it listed in the item details on AliExpress, nor do I see it listed on the (rather bland) packaging. I don't actually own these, I was just curious. I don't know how much I trust the item details anyways, since it mentions that it's a 2pin interface, but in reality it's a fixed cable.

Sep 25, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #13,361 of 31,833
Is it actually confirmed somewhere that the A8 is in fact a 3DD setup? I don't see it listed in the item details on AliExpress, nor do I see it listed on the (rather bland) packaging. I don't actually own these, I was just curious. I don't know how much I trust the item details anyways, since it mentions that it's a 2pin interface, but in reality it's a fixed cable.

I am curous too and I do own the A8. I can't find any info about the driver(s). The info for the GK3 does say it has three dynamic drivers. I am not going to open my A8 to find out... I know Slater would open the shell if he had them:)

Sep 25, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #13,363 of 31,833
Are you talking about the TRN BT10 cable? I look forward to hearing some impressions!

Nope - Bqeyz bt cable - just released it last week.

Sep 25, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #13,364 of 31,833
So, the little Morpilot I just got http://a.co/d/aqAJVg6, it's a home run at $10. Crisp, punchy, full sound with great space and separation. Phenomenal bass for such a tiny thing. It's very comfortable for me - small, light, and easy to get good seal. But because the nozzle is angled forward, the total length might make it not a good fit for people with small ears. Much more comfortable than the vertical dual/triple drivers I got - Ailihen X7 and I-INTO i8. The only thing I don't like is the lack of front vent, which is a common trait with many of my IEMs. It causes ear pressure and driver flex with silicon tips. At least foam tips don't seem to degrade the sound quality of this gem.

Sep 25, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #13,365 of 31,833

Users who are viewing this thread

Back