CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jul 15, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #11,896 of 31,833
Thank you. I'll check it out

Looking to spend about 50 to 60 bucks.

Any multi-BAs that you could recommend in that range?
If you liked zs6, may be you can check zs10 or the new Kz models described on audiobudget website. KZ has improved their sound, and are avoiding sharp highs now.

PS. 50 bucks is a good price zone for Chinese IEMs, a lot of choice. After that, you go to 100 USD, nearly no middle ground.

Jul 16, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #11,897 of 31,833
If you liked zs6, may be you can check zs10 or the new Kz models described on audiobudget website. KZ has improved their sound, and are avoiding sharp highs now.

PS. 50 bucks is a good price zone for Chinese IEMs, a lot of choice. After that, you go to 100 USD, nearly no middle ground.

I liked the detail and soundstage that the zs6 provided, but at the end I felt that the treble was a bit too much for me. I kept comparing my listening experience to that of the EMI and the EMI felt more comfortable.

I was reading about the zsa from KZ but I'm a bit unsure it'll be an upgrade in terms of sq for the emi.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Jul 16, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #11,898 of 31,833
I liked the detail and soundstage that the zs6 provided, but at the end I felt that the treble was a bit too much for me. I kept comparing my listening experience to that of the EMI and the EMI felt more comfortable.

I was reading about the zsa from KZ but I'm a bit unsure it'll be an upgrade in terms of sq for the emi.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I own several EMI CI-880s, and also have the KZ ZS5, ZS6, ZS10, ED15 and ED16. I personally do not have the same problem with the ZS6 that you have, though I know that some people do. I would actually recommend the ED16 out of all of these. You will not have quite the detail retrieval of the ZS6, but close. Good soundstage, much better low end than the EMI, and to me, better overall sound. Oh, on your EMI, have you tried removing the black screens? Search for this mod. To me, it improves the EMI.

Jul 16, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #11,899 of 31,833
I own several EMI CI-880s, and also have the KZ ZS5, ZS6, ZS10, ED15 and ED16. I personally do not have the same problem with the ZS6 that you have, though I know that some people do. I would actually recommend the ED16 out of all of these. You will not have quite the detail retrieval of the ZS6, but close. Good soundstage, much better low end than the EMI, and to me, better overall sound. Oh, on your EMI, have you tried removing the black screens? Search for this mod. To me, it improves the EMI.

That sounds interesting.
Would you consider the ED16 to be an upgrade of the EMI (for someone who enjoys it but may be looking for a bit more)in terms of say soundstage, detail retrieval, instrument separation and maybe highs?

Did not know about the EMIs having a mod. I'll Iook it up for sure.

Jul 16, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #11,900 of 31,833
Guys i got a question i need to get a real good pair of foam which is really soft and melt in ear and provide good seal .. Does anyone have experience with such foam tips, .. I have lot of foam tips but i fine it a bit hard in the ears.. ?

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #11,901 of 31,833
Going back home after a while so I am thinking of gifting earphones to my sister and cousins. It’ll be an upgrade from the EarPods they are used to. Under 25usd , what are the best options for something that’s warm and musical sounding yet has a decent amount of details in highs ?

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #11,902 of 31,833
That sounds interesting.
Would you consider the ED16 to be an upgrade of the EMI (for someone who enjoys it but may be looking for a bit more)in terms of say soundstage, detail retrieval, instrument separation and maybe highs?

Did not know about the EMIs having a mod. I'll Iook it up for sure.
the ed16 definitely has a bigger stage and more space between instruments than the e-mi; highs are thicker-textured (though not necessarily superior) on the ed16. i would defintiely remove the cloth screens on the e-mi nozzle, which get gunked up and veil the sound--just crimp the edge with a needle and peel 'em off.

Jul 16, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #11,903 of 31,833
Going back home after a while so I am thinking of gifting earphones to my sister and cousins. It’ll be an upgrade from the EarPods they are used to. Under 25usd , what are the best options for something that’s warm and musical sounding yet has a decent amount of details in highs ?
http://www.thephonograph.net/coupons-discounts-deals-promo-codes-sales/gearbest/

see for kz es4 only for 10$

kz zsa (metal build) for 14.50$

if looking for ear down look at xiaomi pro hd 2 (first deal)

they all sound great and all of them will be a upgrade from apple earpods

Jul 16, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #11,904 of 31,833
I highly recommend these (Adax HT06): https://www.aproear.co.uk/adax-ht06/
Screen-Shot-2017-08-08-at-21.16.25-272x300.png

Cheap look (in line with the price) but at the same time solid build and most importantly have superb warmish sound with very good detail and instrument separation.

Jul 16, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #11,905 of 31,833
Jul 16, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #11,907 of 31,833
There might be some fit issues with KZ earphones. So i will give them a pass.

How’s the build quality of mi pro hd ?

KZ makes dozens of different models, all with different fits.

That's like saying there might be some fit issues with Nike shoes so I will give them a pass. There's tens of thousands of Nike shoes with different shapes, designs, and sizes. You can easily find a Nike shoe that will fit you, just like you can easily find a KZ earphone to fit you.

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #11,908 of 31,833
KZ makes dozens of different models, all with different fits.

That's like saying there might be some fit issues with Nike shoes so I will give them a pass. There's tens of thousands of Nike shoes with different shapes, designs, and sizes. You can easily find a Nike shoe that will fit you, just like you can easily find a KZ earphone to fit you.

I was referring to the two pairs recommended in the comment which have a similar style of housing and might not be suitable for someone who’s only used EarPods or conventionally styled IEMs.

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #11,909 of 31,833
I was referring to the two pairs recommended in the comment which have a similar style of housing and might not be suitable for someone who’s only used EarPods or conventionally styled IEMs.

Gotcha.

If you want a more traditional piston-style IEM, you try the KZ ED15, EDR1, EDR2, HDS1, or HDS3. All good choices.

Also, the MEMT T5 is an EarPod style headphone. Metal shell and excellent sound.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #11,910 of 31,833
I highly recommend these (Adax HT06): https://www.aproear.co.uk/adax-ht06/
Screen-Shot-2017-08-08-at-21.16.25-272x300.png

Cheap look (in line with the price) but at the same time solid build and most importantly have superb warmish sound with very good detail and instrument separation.

I'm past the honeymoon phase with these. And still really like how they sound. Like mentioned previously, the only thing I don't like is to get the perfect seal these need to be worn over the ear (likely varies person to person). Also don't like the cable. Imo the cable is the worst thing about these.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back