CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jun 8, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #11,311 of 31,867
And now that I think about it, you're onto a really good idea. I just received a 2nd Xiaomi adapter today (it's charging now). Instead of clipping it to my shorts and running the long cable inside of my shirt and coiling the excess in my pocket (like I've been doing), I can just shorten a dedicated IEM to like 10-12", and clip the Xiaomi right to my shirt collar!

That's exactly what I'm intending to do. Makes more sense than having a big ass cable. I'm still pretty worried about soldering or getting into that. I totally appreciate what you are saying though, good skill to have.

I'll keep my hunt going for some headphones with smaller cables :)

Jun 8, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #11,312 of 31,867
I used z5000 with the kz ate foam tips with eq it expanded the soundstage like crazy.. its crazy how big the soundstage is now ... its insane like a full live concert this are really gems... disadvantage it doesnt have bass now.,..

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #11,313 of 31,867
I used z5000 with the kz ate foam tips with eq it expanded the soundstage like crazy.. its crazy how big the soundstage is now ... its insane like a full live concert this are really gems... disadvantage it doesnt have bass now.,..
bass loss is not major right?

Jun 8, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #11,315 of 31,867
So let's do a little saturday question. :D

What is your guilty pleasure IEM?
An IEM you keep on coming back to, even though it's technically or pricewise not the best or most impressive IEM you have? You know it's not the greatest, but you keep on coming back to it once in a while.

For me, it's the KZ ATE. It was my first and only chi-fi from the beginning of 2017 to mid 2017, and I loved every damn song I played on them. Their bassy, nightlike sound, with warm notes just as loud as the vocals: everything sounded great on them. Now I know the mids and highs can be much better and natural, and there's such a thing as great instrument placement and soundstage. I didn't back then - but I still enjoy the ATE when I pick it up again.

And yours? :)

It's a tie and it's all about entertainment!

10124927.jpg

20160727_131137-1.jpg

party_4.gif

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #11,316 of 31,867
They are here, the mids are spectacular, forward and creamy

You mentioned this has the same treble resolution as the ER4S? How about the bass amount and speed, soundstage, and overall sound resolution compared to the ER4S?

Jun 9, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #11,317 of 31,867

Damn, I hate the KZ "foam" tips with a passion

Like, it doesn't change form anymore than silicone, and seals horribly for me

Jun 9, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #11,318 of 31,867
Damn, I hate the KZ "foam" tips with a passion

Like, it doesn't change form anymore than silicone, and seals horribly for me

Totally agree. In my experience, the KZ ones are hard as a rock, uncomfortable, seal poorly, and fall off most IEMs because they don't have an inner core like most Comply-type foam tips.

They sell MUCH softer ones that are a similar style: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...rbud-Bud-Tips-Earbuds-eartips/1052204391.html

I call the above linked ones "marshmallow" tips, because the foam looks and feels just like a marshmallow. Nothing like the rock hard KZ ones.

The marshmallow tips work great for inserting into silicone tips to make your own hybrid tips:

IMG_20180420_231232.jpg
IMG_20180420_215458.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #11,319 of 31,867
I have this Huawei CM-33 semi open IEM that i've bought it for $29 and i admit it sounds a lot better than a Xiaomi Piston II, especially when it comes to bass response and clarity. Definately one of the best sounding budget IEMs that you can get.

Jun 9, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #11,320 of 31,867
You mentioned this has the same treble resolution as the ER4S? How about the bass amount and speed, soundstage, and overall sound resolution compared to the ER4S?
the treble is similar when you use them with the 75 ohm resistor, they are a little bit roll off in the sub bass and upper treble, small mid bass bump, forward lower and middle mids, neutral upper mids and treble, the er4s has a lot of upper treble but the mids are very forward and only the upper mids, that makes them dry sounding in comparison to the 5+, 5+ sound a lot more musical and organic compared to er4s, the soundstage is also very nice and accurate, I hope that helps

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #11,323 of 31,867
Jun 9, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #11,325 of 31,867
that is my EQ curve for them, with that curve they sound absolutely amazing
you should decrease the preamp by 5 dbs and use an amplifier rather than putting gain in software eq
this is equalizer apo with peace gui

Users who are viewing this thread

Back