CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Oct 24, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #4,081 of 31,833
I'm of the opinion that you should be able to find a good portable rig or desktop rig and spend less than $400 total on either one(not including a laptop). Mind you, I'm not saying the be all and end all of audio. I am saying a good listenable, comfortable system that you could be happy with for non-critical listening for a very long time. When you go above that price point you are either hunting a specific feature or you are headed into that diminishing returns territory.
(Desktop - Hifimediy DAC $50 - Magni 2 amp $100 - Sennheiser HD6xx $199)
(Portable - Cayin N3 $150 - Fiio A5 $100 + (Your choice of in ears - $150 buys a lot these days))

Oct 24, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #4,082 of 31,833

I think this guy is getting a "good seal"...if you know what I mean...
Screenshot_2017_10_24_13_58_35.jpg

Oct 24, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #4,085 of 31,833
It's all about the tips, then the file type, then the amp and the state of mind

You mean the special sound damping lotion I bought for my ears and the nose plugs I bought to prevent echos were not necessary?

Oct 26, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #4,088 of 31,833
So i just received the tin audio t2. My initial impressions are quite different from the other headfiers. Initial impressions are that while they are good for accousting music, I find them very anemic in bass. Detail and clarity is average., nothing special. Other than the lacking low end, they sound quite neutral. My source is the xiaomi mi5 and I listen to songs at a lower volume compared to most people.

Oct 26, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #4,090 of 31,833
I agree with more drivers not necessarily meaning better sound. The DM5 is a true hybrid and sound like one. The bass is excellent on these. One of the best bass ends for hybrids that can hit every note and emphasis in the low region. The sound does come cohesive even though the BAs are in the nozzle. They do need a bit of TLC in the form of trying this and trying that as far as sources, tips and cables but in the end comes out as a clear worthy product. Can't say that about a lot of iems I have had that were much more expensive.
More drivers does not always equal to better sound but even a poorly tuned hybrid driver arrangements do have some advantages. If you try playing a bass boosted song on a single dynamic and if the song was recorded with a heavy and wooly bass note in the background you will notice the great reduction in clarity and volume of the high notes. This doesnt occur with even cheap hybrids.

Oct 26, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #4,091 of 31,833
@B9Scrambler can you please tell me how the dm5 sounds when plugging it straight into a laptop or phone? Does it degrade the sound significantly?

I didn't find it particularly source sensitive. Treble was more peaky/edgier through my phone vs. the Shanling M1 or my TEAC. It sounded fine from my laptop. It's more sensitive to file quality imo. Feed it a crappy file and you'll know it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back