CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Nov 16, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #30,886 of 31,864
I guess the EN1000 are perfect IEM for cable sceptic.

Why would this be? The cable doesn't change. Change of sound is due to passive signal processing in the plugs. Marshall Mode EQ also does this but has only two settings through a switch on one of the cables.

This being said, the EN1000 is the only affordable IEM that caught my interest lately. I would have bought one on 11/11 if there was some rebate but there was none unfortunately.

Nov 16, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #30,887 of 31,864
Why would this be? The cable doesn't change. Change of sound is due to passive signal processing in the plugs. Marshall Mode EQ also does this but has only two settings through a switch on one of the cables.

This being said, the EN1000 is the only affordable IEM that caught my interest lately. I would have bought one on 11/11 if there was some rebate but there was none unfortunately.
It would be bcs it can perhaps trigger interest to analyze more the interaction of impedance-resistance etc of cable to some extend, which alas rarely have any specs. how the cable impedance plug inflict on sound is similar to dynamic-tonal different we can sometime perceive btw some cables type....at least, to my ears.

yes, EN1000 are good, listen to them all day....now paired with Hiby RS2.
Open sounding near neutral with punchy bass and impressive technicalities.

Nov 16, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #30,888 of 31,864
It would be bcs it can perhaps trigger interest to analyze more the interaction of impedance-resistance etc of cable to some extend, which alas rarely have any specs. how the cable impedance plug inflict on sound is similar to dynamic-tonal different we can sometime perceive btw some cables type....at least, to my ears.

yes, EN1000 are good, listen to them all day....now paired with Hiby RS2.
Open sounding near neutral with punchy bass and impressive technicalities.

These plugs do more than just changing impedance, there are passive signal processing components in them. They are small hardware EQs with just one setting each and they are powered by a small portion of the signal itself.

You could all sorts of processing this way but the only other example I know (and have) is the Bard's Headspace which implements some HRTF voodoo I believe. It's a small dongle that is also powered by the audio signal only and it makes your IEMs feel like they have more soundstage basically.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/the-bard’s-headspace-by-sonneteer.23633/

I'll probably get the EN1000 before the end of the year, haven't gotten anything for quite a long while.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #30,890 of 31,864
Seriously consider buying a couple of $20 IEMs to find out what signatures he/she prefers. Alternatively loan them a couple of sets. Then once they have listened to their own music, they may want different sets for different genres or find that they prefer one more versatile tuning. Detail, seperation and imaging tend to be better on brighter IEMs but if that type of tuning doesn't sit well with them, it may be a poor choice. Even better, being able to try something in person lets them find out if fit is an issue. As I recall B2 Dusk has a larger nozzle and shell that could cause fit issues for some people. Half the fun is figuring out what you like after experimenting. Douglas Adams summed it up with the philosophers response to Deep Thought "What's the point of arguing the existance or non-existance of God? If this machine just gives you his phone number in the morning!" :thinking:

Edit: Wu Zetian is pretty solid for a versatile set. Planars do well at all of your requirements and this one shines for it's tuning.
Truthear HEXA is a new release that is similar tuning to B2 . You could buy both and still be well under your budget
Bad idea only introduce Shure SE215 Westone 1...

At least Westone got new terminology i dont keep up good enough

Nov 17, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #30,891 of 31,864
Bad idea only introduce Shure SE215 Westone 1...

At least Westone got new terminology i dont keep up good enough

I first used the Shure SE215 around 9 - 10 years ago for stage monitoring. Back then I already felt it was quite muddy and veiled, and I think it was $100ish USD at retail.

I am amazed Shure is still selling it today, at a similar pricing! The only good thing I can say about it, is the good fit and small profile, but the sound is not competitive against many modern day budget CHIFI sets which are multiples cheaper.

Westone is another one that isn't too competitive, I have 3 of their IEMs and all are overpriced compared to budget IEM releases nowadays (which are way cheaper but have equivalent or better sound). I think Westone was bought over by the same company that owns Etymotics, but Westone/Shure haven't really innovated much the past few years, and have been overtaken by CHIFI.

Nov 17, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #30,892 of 31,864
Tripowin’s Lea arrived. Hey! The cable is pretty! I was expecting GK10 class cheap one, but great job tripowin.

Note: the L/R 2 pin indicator did not tell which one is the front, so I tested both ways:
-the letter of R and L facing outside of the IEM: off phase, imaging center will be into-your-head, and get blurred
-the letter of R and L facing inside (toward your head): sounds correct, imaging moved forward, and positioning sounds properly done

OOTB, a few seconds of first intro of Mussorgsky, great gate of Kiev, “hmm not bad! As a $19 IEM this is a gamer changer! But not as detailed as Aria, both similar tuning.”

By second song Hiromi’s Warrior, the acoustic jazz session, when floor tom start to rumble:
“Yes, now I can confirm. This is a proper LCP, bass transient is smooth and natural”

Vs Tripowin Mele $50-60? I forgot.:
Forget about Mele, Lea is better in every aspect with $19. It’s a straight upgrade to me.

Vs Aria OG(metal filter removed):
Aria is a better player but it cost 3x more, with more airy wider sound stage. But that is hard to push 3x price tag, as an entry to the rabbit hole, if we are talking about IEM itself.

Packaging meanwhile, Tripowin Lea is a minimalist: “you only need IEM, nothing else”, Aria consider box openening as a part of leisurely experience, so Moondrop is a better player here, Aria’s packaging (unless someone is not anime/waifu phobia) is a very pleasant and is at stage of high-end.

For moondrop’s packaging, I’d find Starfield’s one as one of the best one over all IEMs package I had before. Good balance or waifu / art. Outer cover is a waifu silhouette with beautiful (Shinkai Makoto style) star field, which goes all the way to the back. Then the actual packaging container is a minimalistic yet high-end feeling and touching paper. This particular package is a good gift to girl to my impression.

Anyway! Lea is good counteroffer from Linsoul, to A-Ria.

And I totally forgot Chu! It’s hard to pull whether Chu or Lea is better, Chu’s note is thinner, Lea is thicker. But Chu’s cable is not swappable, while Lea left a choice for users. I’d pick Lea over Chu for rock/billboard hit chats, and Chu for J-pop/classical over Lea.

Attachments

• D410306C-B21D-450F-9FA3-167650FC103F.jpeg
    D410306C-B21D-450F-9FA3-167650FC103F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 7E210501-280D-4748-A26E-944CDF1AF33C.jpeg
    7E210501-280D-4748-A26E-944CDF1AF33C.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • B2C477DD-D720-4C20-A4BD-3511C0574FF6.jpeg
    B2C477DD-D720-4C20-A4BD-3511C0574FF6.jpeg
    1,023.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 5B1A3413-1BDC-436D-9C95-133A230EB67B.png
    5B1A3413-1BDC-436D-9C95-133A230EB67B.png
    7.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 7DEC2541-12EC-4417-AA75-663658A2672F.png
    7DEC2541-12EC-4417-AA75-663658A2672F.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 5411292B-9579-4F53-A71E-D8A45C8277D1.png
    5411292B-9579-4F53-A71E-D8A45C8277D1.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #30,893 of 31,864
I first used the Shure SE215 around 9 - 10 years ago for stage monitoring. Back then I already felt it was quite muddy and veiled, and I think it was $100ish USD at retail.

I am amazed Shure is still selling it today, at a similar pricing! The only good thing I can say about it, is the good fit and small profile, but the sound is not competitive against many modern day budget CHIFI sets which are multiples cheaper.

Westone is another one that isn't too competitive, I have 3 of their IEMs and all are overpriced compared to budget IEM releases nowadays (which are way cheaper but have equivalent or better sound). I think Westone was bought over by the same company that owns Etymotics, but Westone/Shure haven't really innovated much the past few years, and have been overtaken by CHIFI.
Same experience and view here.

Well, My take on how Shure/Westone kept their popularity for decades as a good Harvard Business School case study of modeling and maintaining a brand value and goodwill intangible.
Despite their merchandise’s inferiority, brand name and legacy, practice /presence on a professional field(studio field), do form a reputation and value-addition.

Senn took same approach IMO, kept their core business value in brand-generating professional field (Neumann), and left consumer market.

Nov 17, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #30,894 of 31,864
Aria OG(metal filter removed
Have you removed the metal filter and not the plastic one that stay under?

Without the plastic filter and with the sponge and metal filter Aria is on pair with the OH1 and more clear and open sounding then I3 pro.

Pratically modded the Aria become another iem. :beyersmile:

Nov 17, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #30,895 of 31,864

Without the plastic filter and with the sponge and metal filter Aria is on pair with the OH1 and more clear and open sounding then I3 pro.

Yea it’s kept under my todo list👍 Also Lea could also gain benefit. I feel Lea’s lower mid could use some improvement it’s a bit blurred

Nov 17, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #30,896 of 31,864
Tripowin’s Lea arrived. Hey! The cable is pretty! I was expecting GK10 class cheap one, but great job tripowin.

Note: the L/R 2 pin indicator did not tell which one is the front, so I tested both ways:
-the letter of R and L facing outside of the IEM: off phase, imaging center will be into-your-head, and get blurred
-the letter of R and L facing inside (toward your head): sounds correct, imaging moved forward, and positioning sounds properly done

OOTB, a few seconds of first intro of Mussorgsky, great gate of Kiev, “hmm not bad! As a $19 IEM this is a gamer changer! But not as detailed as Aria, both similar tuning.”

By second song Hiromi’s Warrior, the acoustic jazz session, when floor tom start to rumble:
“Yes, now I can confirm. This is a proper LCP, bass transient is smooth and natural”

Vs Tripowin Mele $50-60? I forgot.:
Forget about Mele, Lea is better in every aspect with $19. It’s a straight upgrade to me.

Vs Aria OG(metal filter removed):
Aria is a better player but it cost 3x more, with more airy wider sound stage. But that is hard to push 3x price tag, as an entry to the rabbit hole, if we are talking about IEM itself.

Packaging meanwhile, Tripowin Lea is a minimalist: “you only need IEM, nothing else”, Aria consider box openening as a part of leisurely experience, so Moondrop is a better player here, Aria’s packaging (unless someone is not anime/waifu phobia) is a very pleasant and is at stage of high-end.

For moondrop’s packaging, I’d find Starfield’s one as one of the best one over all IEMs package I had before. Good balance or waifu / art. Outer cover is a waifu silhouette with beautiful (Shinkai Makoto style) star field, which goes all the way to the back. Then the actual packaging container is a minimalistic yet high-end feeling and touching paper. This particular package is a good gift to girl to my impression.

Anyway! Lea is good counteroffer from Linsoul, to A-Ria.

And I totally forgot Chu! It’s hard to pull whether Chu or Lea is better, Chu’s note is thinner, Lea is thicker. But Chu’s cable is not swappable, while Lea left a choice for users. I’d pick Lea over Chu for rock/billboard hit chats, and Chu for J-pop/classical over Lea.
so so SO underatted! way better than Cencibel and RHombus imo...
happy you enjoy them mate, love Mussorgsky and Jazz
ps: +1 for gettin rid of absurd metal thing of Aria, i do it the very day i got them.

Nov 17, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #30,897 of 31,864

wth....why i havent try this?
well, cause i like it without metal ''filter''

will do this asap and share impression.

nice idea mate

Nov 17, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #30,898 of 31,864
Letshuoer S12 Pro

Hey I just wanted to share my review of one of the better Planar sets to come out of the "Planar Madness". At least of those I've tried. Really a gorgeous iem, well built and very well tuned. Thanks for checking it out and take it easy guys. Full review at the link:
Letshuoer S12 Pro Review

20221112_142232.jpg

Nov 18, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #30,900 of 31,864
so so SO underatted! way better than Cencibel and RHombus imo...
happy you enjoy them mate, love Mussorgsky and Jazz
ps: +1 for gettin rid of absurd metal thing of Aria, i do it the very day i got them.
Yes, Lea / Chu plays better than most of CNT single DD out there. Both got very good tuning, Lea slightly spiced up U-shape but pretty neutral, and Chu with lean and cleaner tone.

The design and material of lea makes it looks not like a $20 IEM, meanwhile the cencibel/rhombus/HBB mele does look “you get what you paid for” kinda cheaply made quality… good example of don’t judge book by its cover haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back