CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Oct 20, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #30,601 of 31,867
Oh....didn't expect that in fact. MAIL CALL!
Dunu TALOS in da house! So excited to try these.
its my 8th Planar IEM to test.
I'm not that upper treble sensitive, so it will be interesting to try both tuning mode.
Ok, let's begin with Planar only mode, which is my fav since it's smoother and more laid back yet doesnt feel too dark and have nice treble energy and snap. We can say its smooth neutral with slight bass punch boost, clean open mids and dark treble with extra snap and sharp brilliance to add sens of air and openess.

The Talos aren't V shape or basshead, their a slight U shape feel to it since mid bass and lower mids are a bit leaner and upper mids are emphasize smoothed way so female vocal are more upfront, quite clear and detailed, just a hint bright. Bass presentation is very versatile, and separation is clean but the slam isn't super heavy, bass line are well textured with good grip, making cello sound full bodied and realist, kick drum is well define and separate too, but not ultra punchy. Mids tone is realist too, timbre isn't thin and note weight is good. Resolution is a hint warm, but very well layered. Their enough upper mids bit to make the presence dynamic enough.

Treble is where BA mode will act, so in Planar mode its notably darker yet not feeling lacking in sound info, in fact, percussions are rather highlight with the Talos, super snappy and fast in attack, resonance and sparkle cut short, keeping the top clean. In BA mode, sound info go in your face and very generous. Timbre is more organic and natural planar way, while more bright and saturated with BA. I feel sens of openess is better preserve planar mode way too, and more fowards with BA. Balance in BA mode is notably more W shape, treble sensitive people might find it too much but i was expecting splashyness and shoutyness which isn't the case here, its just super bright. Sound in BA mode is more vivid in dynamic too.
1666288361054.png
1666288373375.png

Oct 20, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #30,602 of 31,867
They're multiplyin', I'm tellin' ya.

These are articulate as hell. Let's you see right into the music, like looking through a freshly cleaned glass window. Oh, but the way they portray acoustic music. Stellar. Can't say enough - all for $60. Damn, this company does it righteously right. Great change-up from my dynamic drivers. The BAs are so smooooooth. There is a touch/smidge of congestion in the lower mids when it gets busy which should clear up as they loosen up. It isn't tuning, its just newness. Most of my IEMs have loosened up (for lack of a more technical term) after use.

I'm groovin' on them now and wow - just wow. I'm gonna put them on the tubes in a bit. They deserve it. Will compare them with the KZ ZS10s which have a similar configuration. They and the ZEXs were the first ones I bought. Will be an interesting comparison. Will post up.

IMG_0089.jpg
Yes, absolutely agree. Just the kind of profile I prefer. I love mine, they are my current favourites. Wonderful balanced out of my Xduoo X20.

Oct 20, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #30,603 of 31,867
The new CCA HM20 is out and sell for 48$ with coupon on ALI.
This is the first KZ iem ever with drivers tubing.
Graph seem decent, quite bassy as expected...
anybody have one on the way?
(i dont....since Tyvan KZ boss make too much dramas on FB so....i cut contacts with him)

1666295921836.png

1666295940182.png
1666295964795.png

1666296089020.png

Oct 20, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #30,604 of 31,867
(i dont....since Tyvan KZ boss make too much dramas on FB so....i cut contacts with him)

KZ used tubing/channels in many all-BAs starting from AS16 (or actually CCA C16)*. E.g. recent AS16 pro: https://kz-audio.com/kz-as16-pro.html
* addition on editing

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #30,605 of 31,867

1666295921836.png
1666295940182.png1666295964795.png
1666296089020.png
I'm going to wait for comparisons to the KZ AS16 Pro and take it from there for which one I want, but I'm leaning towards Pro right now because I'm an all-BA guy. Ali 11.11 sale is coming up.

I'm getting the impression KZ made these to appeal to the "BA bass is too low" crowd.

Oct 20, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #30,606 of 31,867

KZ has used sound channels in the past. KZ ASF, ASX and AST used three sound channels in what appeared to be a 3D printed insert. The current AS16 Pro uses the same system. I am not as familiar with the CCA models, but I suspect more recent all BA models like the CA10 and CA24, would be the same. :L3000:

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #30,609 of 31,867
KZ has used sound channels in the past. KZ ASF, ASX and ASF used three sound channels in what appeared to be a 3D printed insert. The current AS16 Pro uses the same system. I am not as familiar with the CCA models, but I suspect more recent all BA models like the CA10 and CA24, would be the same. :L3000:
oh, i see....i wasnt aware of this since i didnt test-check all KZs....but it seem a bit different this time...tubing being 3D printed with same resin plastic more complex tubing perhaps? Even DD seem to have its tube...intriguing.
yes, CCA CA10 have similar package tubing. not sure HM20 is similar ''package tubing''...will see once more pics available!
1666312081320.png
1666312267742.png

i own these in the past....kinda dry shouty fest....didnt like at all.

AS16pro seem interesting tough...have you try them?

Oct 20, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #30,610 of 31,867
oh, i see....i wasnt aware of this since i didnt test-check all KZs....but it seem a bit different this time...tubing being 3D printed with same resin plastic more complex tubing perhaps? Even DD seem to have its tube...intriguing.
yes, CCA CA10 have similar package tubing. not sure HM20 is similar ''package tubing''...will see once more pics available!
1666312081320.png1666312267742.png
i own these in the past....kinda dry shouty fest....didnt like at all.

AS16pro seem interesting tough...have you try them?
I have the AS16 Pro, I passed on the initial hype train, but picked them up after the good reviews had stacked up and another discounted offer appeared. They are certainly a huge improvement over ASF. I do wish they had retained a semi-custom shell, but with the fit of something like the KZ ZEX Pro or the CCA CA16 (ASF isn't so comfortable). Tuning is much improved, it's pretty transparent and the bass impact is present but controlled. Tuning is slightly warm and the treble smooth rather than sparkly. So not for bass-heads or treble-heads. If it was less bulky it would work well for a daily driver, but these are not something you forget you are wearing. Don't even think about trying to sleep with these in! Imaging, stage and details are surprisingly good considering this isn't a bright tuning. Tone is good too, vocals and acoustic instruments sound natural. Easy to recommend! :L3000:

Oct 21, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #30,611 of 31,867
1666336170801..jpg

I've open the Xduoo X2S to understand which components has inside...I was to much courious.😁

The main chip is an ATJ2167 and the opam an RE6863 (the same in the Shanling dongles UA2/3/5).
Battery 900mAh.

I'm to weak in electronic...where Is the DAC?

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #30,613 of 31,867
a bit blurry to make out the chip text marking
Yes I know, but it Is the best I can do with my phone...

I've used a magnifly glass with torch to read the components name.

There is a programmable 25L12835F 128Mb bits serial Flash memory too if it may help.

Oct 21, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #30,615 of 31,867
Hum, for me Tripowin Lea (punchy DF neutral), CCA CRA+ (smooth V shape with wide open spatiality and among most natural timbre for a KZ), CCZ Emerald (dark W shape with impressive imaging).
Saltnotes Zero get alot of praise too, but havent try them.
So glad it's not just me that loves the Emerald.

CCZ have a new release coming (Warrior) apparently

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back