CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Apr 24, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #29,971 of 31,849
I’m looking for something that fits better and has a smaller shell than the KZ ZS10 pros. They won’t stay in my ears no matter what tips I use. They always loosen every few minutes.

Any suggestions under $75?
Small shell that is in ZS10 Pro direction that i could think of is CCA CKX.
It have pretty good review so far, considered step up in bass and vocals compared to KZ ZAX (which is successor of ZSX which is successor ZS10 Pro).
ZAX still have better soundstage, air and apparently treble possibly due to its semi open shell.

Comparison Image,
1650850531776.png

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #29,972 of 31,849
Apr 25, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #29,973 of 31,849
Are you a guitarist mate? 😃

Which use do you do of an iem and what kind of music do you ear?

The forumers here will shurely help you.
Yes I am! I use them mostly for monitoring when playing live. I think the ZS10’s sound ok, but are too big for my ears.
Try something with a semi-custom shell, they tend to stay put better. Some people find them annoying if they aren't a good fit though!
A tighter curve on the earhooks of cable can help too. You can reform some of those by heating with a hairdryer and bending to change the curve.
Ok, what iems have that type of semi custom shell?
Small shell that is in ZS10 Pro direction that i could think of is CCA CKX.
It have pretty good review so far, considered step up in bass and vocals compared to KZ ZAX (which is successor of ZSX which is successor ZS10 Pro).
ZAX still have better soundstage, air and apparently treble possibly due to its semi open shell.

Comparison Image,
1650850531776.png
Great, I’ll check those out. Thanks!

Apr 25, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #29,974 of 31,849
Yes I am! I use them mostly for monitoring when playing live. I think the ZS10’s sound ok, but are too big for my ears.

You are welcome friend...me too! 😉😃👍

Stupid I ask this but...have you try with foam tips?

You find right the KS10 pro sound signature for monitoring a guitar?

It is V shaped with a lot of bass...maybe someting more neutral could be better and I think you need more mids playing with a band.

The only one more little I've is the KBear KB04 more fast and detailed then the Ks10 pro but a little piercing in the highs, if you are sensible to trebbles it needs a little mod by adding an adesive filter on the noze and foam tips, not absolutely necessary but with fuzz/distortion boosted could be helpfull, I forget to say...it is very cheap.😉

Maybe more experienced forumers may suggest you something better.

Good music! 👍

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #29,975 of 31,849
You are welcome friend...me too! 😉😃👍

Stupid I ask this but...have you try with foam tips?

You find right the KS10 pro sound signature for monitoring a guitar?

It is V shaped with a lot of bass...maybe someting more neutral could be better and I think you need more mids playing with a band.

The only one more little I've is the KBear KB04 more fast and detailed then the Ks10 pro but a little piercing in the highs, if you are sensible to trebbles it needs a little mod by adding an adesive filter on the noze and foam tips, not absolutely necessary but with fuzz/distortion boosted could be helpfull, I forget to say...it is very cheap.😉

Maybe more experienced forumers may suggest you something better.

Good music! 👍
You may find an all-BA model better for monitoring. The KZ AS12, AS16 and BA10 are very good and they have good isolation. AS12 and AS16 are very affordable at the moment at Ali Express.

Apr 25, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #29,976 of 31,849
I need your help as I want to buy a "bullet" earphones to listen classical and ambient music. Any suggestion?
Etymotic and Final Audio are the two most positively rated bullet shaped IEMs.

Ety has two kinds of tuning; the XR add a little bass, which to me makes them less clinical sounding (and still doesn't turn them into basshead IEMS). The ER2 models have dynamic drivers; the ER3 and ER4 have balanced armatures.

I like my ER3XR, but they do have a two-dimensional soundstage -- widescreen and accurate but not 3D.

If you have a friend in the US who could ship them to Portugal, they could pick up the ER3XR for $69.
https://www.adorama.com/etyer3xr.html?emailprice=t

Apr 25, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #29,977 of 31,849
I need your help as I want to buy a "bullet" earphones to listen classical and ambient music. Any suggestion?
Smabat NCO 2 is a possibility. The original NCO was excellent, very compact bullet shape and very good for Ambient and classical genres.

Apr 25, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #29,978 of 31,849
All you mates drove me in the rabbit hole. 😂😂😂

HZsound Heart Mirror on the way with Jcally JM10. :)

Now I've only to wait AE a month.....😓😂

And no No I don't want to buy Smabat NCO 2, absolutely not a basshead iem no no never....It is in my whish list too...😊😎🤣

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #29,979 of 31,849
You may find an all-BA model better for monitoring. The KZ AS12, AS16 and BA10 are very good and they have good isolation. AS12 and AS16 are very affordable at the moment at Ali Express.
Hi Nimweth our friend Fenderbender ask for an iem smaller then his ZS10 pro 'cos don't fit well his ears.
I'm not shure this meet this requirement.
In your experience may you suggest him something smaller?

Apr 25, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #29,980 of 31,849
Hi Nimweth our friend Fenderbender ask for an iem smaller then his ZS10 pro 'cos don't fit well his ears.
They should consider bullet iems.

Like the Final Audio E series (500,1-4k)
Tanchjim Tanya
Intime Sora

Apr 25, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #29,981 of 31,849
Yes you are right, the IEMs I mentioned would not be suitable in that respect. I find the Moondrop Aria very comfortable and it is more compact than the ZS10 Pro. It has a classic Harman type tuning though and would not be regarded as neutral. The HZ Heart Mirror may suit, it is compact and has a neutral/bright tonality with good technicalities so may be good as a monitor.

Apr 25, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #29,982 of 31,849

Just my 2 cents, i've been using IEMs for stage monitoring for piano/guitar for almost 2 decades.

For stage monitoring and especially guitars, the midrange is the most essential. V-shaped IEMs eg most KZs are a no-go for stage monitoring as the music is too coloured and you won't know what you play may be different from the house. V-shaped by definition boosts the bass and treble. Well if you have EQ on stage, then that's no issue to make a V-shaped set become neutralish, so that's an option, though some budget drivers can't take too robust EQ and will distort.

After getting a neturalish monitor, the next few stuff here are important;
1) Isolation - to protect hearing
2) Technical performance - to hear the details of what you are playing. This includes soundstage, instrument separation, clarity, transients, micro-detials.
3) Comfort - no point having an IEM that causes pain and you cannot tolerate it for more than a few minutes.

At the budget segment, I think the HZSound Heart Mirror can fulfil most of these criteria.

Apr 26, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #29,983 of 31,849

I think gs audio provide ciem options, you might want to check out

Apr 26, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #29,984 of 31,849
I think gs audio provide ciem options, you might want to check out
They are a semi-custom shape, GD3C is very stable fit for me.

Actual custom IEMs fitted to your own specific ear shape, are way more expensive to have made (usually only for professionals using IEMs for stage monitoring etc.). They apparently provide improved isolation due to improved fit.

Apr 26, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #29,985 of 31,849
Their you go for my TRIPOWIN OLINA Review.
Here for headfi.
Here for No borders Audiophile.

I compare them to Moondrop Kato and Aria and HZsound Mirror.

Technical performance are above average their no doubt, hype was and still is legit if the slightly bright tonality fit your taste!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back