CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Oct 31, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #29,132 of 31,834
The ol CCA CA16 is pretty well recieved.
If i recalled right, its the start of KZ/CCA new smoother treble sig. No BA in the nozzle, good warm sounding IEMs.
KZ/CCA went back to harshness a bit with CCA CS16 and CCA C10 Pro, but then produce CCA CKX, KZ AST and KZ ZAS where the last three retain the smoother treble.

This CCA CA16 Pro is CCA CA16 set-up with all new housing, new gen smoother black BAs, and XUN Dynamic driver.

Nov 1, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #29,133 of 31,834

KB Ear Aurora / TKZK Wave / BGVP DH5 - Unboxing & First Look​

Hey guys, just received a few new IEMs not long ago. Here are my first impressions:

KB Ear Aurora - $169usd, 1DD. Warm Harman, amazing bass quantity and quality, smooth. Reminds me of the BLON BL-03, but much better in terms of technicalities. If you are looking for a huge BL03 upgrade, maybe this might be it?

Aurora review done! Review link here - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kbear-aurora.25392/review/27119/

TKZK Wave - $39usd, 1DD+1BA. neutral to neutral bright tuning, pretty lean bass and mids, treble can be a bit bright. Reminds me of the HM, but with metallic BA timbre and the usual BA/hybrid characteristics.

TKZK Wave review done! Review link here - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tkzk-wave.25480/review/27146/

BGVP DH5 - $85usd, 1DD+4BA. A pretty analogue U-shaped sounding IEM, albeit haunted with its 5kHz treble peak... which might be an issue to some. To my ears, I do not find it much of an issue as I find it to add a bit of excitement to an otherwise smooth sounding treble.

BGVP DH5 review done! Review link here - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/bgvp-dh5.25524/review/27175/

Frequency Response graphs for all 3 IEMs are shown below. If you have any questions regarding any of these IEMs, feel free to let me know and I'll get back to you asap.

Full reviews for all 3 IEMs will be out soon. Stay tuned.

20211022_080533.jpg

BGVP DH5.jpegKB Ear Aurora.jpegTKZK Wave.jpeg

BGVP DH5 review done. A "decent" hybrid IMO, but YMMW (thanks to the 5kHz peak).

Do check it out if you guys are interested - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/bgvp-dh5.25524/review/27175/

Nov 2, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #29,134 of 31,834
Has anyone spent time with the Vankyo C751? I really think they are a good value Chifi ANC wireless headphones. During the 11/11 sale on Ali, you can pick up a set with a free gift of a set of Vankyo X400 TWS, which sound quite nice as well, for $31.24 AUD ($23.50 US) shipped. Not sure there is a better deal at the moment for those that love bang for the buck.

Nov 2, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #29,135 of 31,834
Nov 2, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #29,136 of 31,834
Nov 5, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #29,137 of 31,834
Anyone here tried the Reecho SG-01? There isnt much info or reviews online, just a few on this site and a couple youtube videos. Some of them put it next to the Heart Mirror in terms of quality and detail but with a slight more bass. They claim it to be a "w" shape sound.
I'm kinda curious about them, they are like 8€ less than the Heart Mirror on the 11.11 sale.

So far after all your replys, recommendations and some extra research I've discarded the CCZ & Quarks and narrowed it down to:
- KZ DQ6 (22€)
- Heart Mirror (43€)
- Reecho SG-01? (35€)

I'll pair the one I get with the "Abigail/Avani dongle" from Venture Electronics, as I'm currently using the Sonata HD Pro on my computer and dont feel like plugging/unplugging it everytime.

Nov 7, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #29,138 of 31,834

KZ ZEX / TRN VX Pro / Cat Ear HITAM / Smabat Proto 1.0 - Unboxing and First Look​

Just received a few new IEMs. Here are my first impressions:

KZ Zex - $22usd, 1DD+1EST. Fun sounding. Thick punchy boomy bass, splashy thin treble. Coherency isn't the best (very noticeable separation from the DD and "EST" driver), timbre isn't the best, and technicalities are below-average. I also doubt that the "EST" driver used is real. Nonetheless, I find it fun-sounding and enjoyable for Hip Hop.

CatEar HITAM - $25usd, 1DD. Quite bad. lo-fi, boomy, hazy... eww. Left unit has driver flex. Packaging and accessories are cute though.

TRN VX Pro - $88usd, 1DD+8BA. V-shaped sound signature. Full-bodied punchy bass, forward intimate vocals, energetic treble, decent soundstage width, above-average technicalities (for the price). Not bad for $80usd. However, bass is slightly slow and bleeds into the mids, treble can come off as sharp and splashy, BA timbre, incoherencies between drivers.

VX Pro review done! Link to review here - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/trn-vx-pro-1dd-8bas.25493/review/27336/

Smabat Proto 1.0 - $88usd, modular 1DD. I am a MASSIVE fan of this. Interchangeable bass filter, interchangeable nozzle filter, interchangeable drivers. This IEM is FULLY Modular and you can customize it to your liking. With one driver, you get a total of 6 different sound configurations. I have a total of 2 different drivers here so it means that I get a whopping 12 different sound configurations. For $88usd (+$15usd for another driver), IMO this is a major steal. No matter what your sound preferences are, you will be able to find a configuration that suits your taste and needs. A separate post for Smabat Proto 1.0 will be made to showcase the different filters and driver configurations.

Frequency Response graphs for all 4 IEMs are shown below. If you have any questions regarding any of these IEMs, feel free to let me know and I'll get back to you asap.

Full reviews for all 4 IEMs will be out soon. Stay tuned.

bryaudioreviews.jpg
KZ ZEX.jpg
Cat Ear HITAM.jpg
Smabat Proto 1.0 (stock driver (green), gold bass port, no nozzle filter).jpg
TRN VX Pro.jpg
Smabat Proto 1.0 (Red driver, gold bass port, no nozzle filter).jpg

Attachments

• 20211023_205152.jpg
    20211023_205152.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211023_205207.jpg
    20211023_205207.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211023_205234.jpg
    20211023_205234.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211026_014653.jpg
    20211026_014653.jpg
    586 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211026_014704.jpg
    20211026_014704.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211105_165453.jpg
    20211105_165453.jpg
    631.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211105_165506.jpg
    20211105_165506.jpg
    924.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211105_165601.jpg
    20211105_165601.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #29,139 of 31,834

KZ ZEX / TRN VX Pro / Cat Ear HITAM / Smabat Proto 1.0 - Unboxing and First Look​

Just received a few new IEMs. Here are my first impressions:

KZ Zex - $22usd, 1DD+1EST. Fun sounding. Thick punchy boomy bass, splashy thin treble. Coherency isn't the best (very noticeable separation from the DD and "EST" driver), timbre isn't the best, and technicalities are below-average. I also doubt that the "EST" driver used is real. Nonetheless, I find it fun-sounding and enjoyable for Hip Hop.

CatEar HITAM - $25usd, 1DD. Quite bad. lo-fi, boomy, hazy... eww. Left unit has driver flex. Packaging and accessories are cute though.

TRN VX Pro - $88usd, 1DD+8BA. V-shaped sound signature. Full-bodied punchy bass, forward intimate vocals, energetic treble, decent soundstage width, above-average technicalities (for the price). Not bad for $80usd. However, bass is slightly slow and bleeds into the mids, treble can come off as sharp and splashy, BA timbre, incoherencies between drivers.

Smabat Proto 1.0 - $88usd, modular 1DD. I am a MASSIVE fan of this. Interchangeable bass filter, interchangeable nozzle filter, interchangeable drivers. This IEM is FULLY Modular and you can customize it to your liking. With one driver, you get a total of 6 different sound configurations. I have a total of 2 different drivers here so it means that I get a whopping 12 different sound configurations. For $88usd (+$15usd for another driver), IMO this is a major steal. No matter what your sound preferences are, you will be able to find a configuration that suits your taste and needs. A separate post for Smabat Proto 1.0 will be made to showcase the different filters and driver configurations.

Frequency Response graphs for all 4 IEMs are shown below. If you have any questions regarding any of these IEMs, feel free to let me know and I'll get back to you asap.

Full reviews for all 4 IEMs will be out soon. Stay tuned.

bryaudioreviews.jpg
KZ ZEX.jpgCat Ear HITAM.jpgSmabat Proto 1.0 (stock driver (green), gold bass port, no nozzle filter).jpgTRN VX Pro.jpgSmabat Proto 1.0 (Red driver, gold bass port, no nozzle filter).jpg
Thank you very much for sharing. I've particularly been eyeing the Proto 1.0 lately as 11.11 approaches for the potential versatility/value, even without buying any extra drivers. Looking forward to that extra post for the different configurations!

Nov 7, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #29,140 of 31,834
Thank you very much for sharing. I've particularly been eyeing the Proto 1.0 lately as 11.11 approaches for the potential versatility/value, even without buying any extra drivers. Looking forward to that extra post for the different configurations!
Welcome. I'll start writing about the Smabat Proto 1.0 later tonight or tmrw. It'll be a hard one to review for sure, with 12 different sound configurations.

Nov 7, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #29,141 of 31,834
Your right, lowest price I see for HZM is 40$....but perhaps they're a way to get extra discount and coupons...
Other good bargain imo are:
BQEYZ KC2 for 30$
BLON BL03 for 20$
KBear KB04 for 18$
Tanchjim Tanya for 18$
Whizzer HE01 for 65$
Tinhifi T2 for 30$
Seeaudio Yume for 150$
Moondrop Aria for 68$
Tri I3Pro for 148$
KBear Aurora for 130$

(again, you can surely lower the price with coupons and stuffs!)
Surprised to see not much has changed compared to usual suspects from last year. I'm trying to resist buying more IEMs for obvious reasons. Though I'll recommend everyone getting TRN BT20s Pro. Their price will be less than $25 (prior coupon) on 11.11, which is why I'm getting a second pair. They were pretty good, except their ear hooks were too soft for my liking YMMV. It's a steal.

What is your take on getting sets like KZ BA10 nowadays? We all know the best value often comes from the items once priced. Is it a good time to shot on them for 20 bucks. I enjoyed ZS7 BTW, but the size of BA10 raised concerns on fits. I actually like boxy design on everything lol. (For audio reference, I found Galaxy buds+, Tin T-series Bass light, mt300 could used more depth, and Blon lacking technicality.)

Nov 7, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #29,142 of 31,834
Surprised to see not much has changed compared to usual suspects from last year. I'm trying to resist buying more IEMs for obvious reasons. Though I'll recommend everyone getting TRN BT20s Pro. Their price will be less than $25 (prior coupon) on 11.11, which is why I'm getting a second pair. They were pretty good, except their ear hooks were too soft for my liking YMMV. It's a steal.

What is your take on getting sets like KZ BA10 nowadays? We all know the best value often comes from the items once priced. Is it a good time to shot on them for 20 bucks. I enjoyed ZS7 BTW, but the size of BA10 raised concerns on fits. I actually like boxy design on everything lol. (For audio reference, I found Galaxy buds+, Tin T-series Bass light, mt300 could used more depth, and Blon lacking technicality.)
I simply haven't heard a better KZ with no EQ than the BA10, or the identical sounding, but better fitting, AS10. And I have a basket full of KZ/CCA.

Nov 7, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #29,143 of 31,834
I simply haven't heard a better KZ with no EQ than the BA10, or the identical sounding, but better fitting, AS10. And I have a basket full of KZ/CCA.

Does the BA10 have typical BA timbral accuracy? Like for acoustic instruments?

Nov 7, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #29,144 of 31,834
I was just A/B-ing against my ER4SR while listening to "Spain" by Kaori Muraji, a classical guitarist. The KZ AS10 absolutely trades blows with the much higher priced Etymotic. The ER4SR has a noticeably faster attack and decay with respect to string plucks and strums, and seemingly a bit more accuracy when it comes to distance from the microphone. But the performance of the ER4SR is much tighter and "drier," if that makes any sense. Many might even prefer the AS10's looser, more intimate presentation. They both sound quite natural to my ears. What you get from the AS10, and its fancier looking twin the BA10, is absolutely ridiculous for the money invested. I recommend Final Audio E-type tips.

Nov 8, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #29,145 of 31,834
Does the BA10 have typical BA timbral accuracy? Like for acoustic instruments?
A very good question.

I think preferrences and preconditions are very influential here, and that is a long story to go there. (Still, could not help dwelling - I was exposed very little to speakers and their membranes, listening more to acoustic instruments live (the bonus of trying to educate kids), so for me BAs were a revelation and the way to go. Then I am not any refined and discerning listener by any means, and I would have really hard time to answer definitively about "natural timbre" - violin sound very closely and few meters away are so different in timbre to my ears. What would be "natural", for instance more common to listeners DD reproduction? Then I have not yet met a DD that can reproduce the sounds of the bowing, especially the initial attack...)

Back to BA10 - still most/more natural of all KZs. Then I have HiSenior U4 (beatiful implementation of Knowles 29689, my reference for the refined mids) and VG4 (nothing wrong about it per se, do not particularly like Sonion bass, not the best treble, 12 Ohm sucks, MMCX - why(?). Then my overall experience with that 4-letter company was the worst (not touching their products, sorry for digression again)).

So BA10 stand well in all comparisons, while grainy and some V (more refined) - punchy and engaging. Then the brick shape more or less fits my larger ears, but the ridges inside do the job not to make it very comfortable.

AS10 are close to BA10, they are warmer, e.g. cellos sound like double basses, and I love it, so I am grabbing AS10 more. AS10 were my first all BAs, and I do wonder time to time listening to them, why did I got 50+ more IEMs after (??) :) :wink: :) (No more, I just resolutely got my last sources, Z4 and SG3)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back