CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Oct 6, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #28,906 of 31,833
Tips, cable, and source. Too many variables (!), but V90 definitely looks less neutral than the NRA.

v90_vs_nra.png

speaking of V90 ... I've been looking at the TRN VX Pro: two 4 count arrays of two drivers: 30095 and 50060.

Two of those 30095's are in the nozzle, and the other two are in the shell ... I don't see a crossover circuit :sweat: and the DD looks like a KZ parts bin special. ZAX has a single nozzle mounted 30095, as comparison.

At 90 euros I'm not sure the math adds up, but I'm curious - has anybody rolled the dice yet with TRN VX Pro? Looks pretty similar specs wise to the ZAS, actually, but my guess is that the ZAS has a better bottom end in its newer design DD.

v90_pro_twin-ba-ear-tube-drivers.jpg
Thank's SpaceOperaVillain.👍

Mine V90 must have something wrong I'll write to TRN (I've buyed mine fron them) and I'll ask explanations.

Oct 6, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #28,907 of 31,833
Mine V90 must have something wrong I'll write to TRN (I've buyed mine fron them) and I'll ask explanations.

Try using some of those crappy wide shallow bore tips from the NRA on the V90 and see if it doesn't sound a bit brighter and less warm.

The GK10 had me convinced that I had a defective unit, and this IEM in particular had a lot of returns. There was a ton of midbass bloat and virtually no treble detail up top ... but the problems were equally balanced. Usually 1 of 2 units is bad, not both equally. I got around eventually to changing out tips to wide shallow bore and the GK10 are like a different pair of IEM altogether. None of my other KZ based sets are that tip sensitive, but it can happen. Trial and error is a big part of getting the right sound out of them.

Oct 6, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #28,908 of 31,833
Hi all, I've a strange answer about the V90.

All the reviews describe this iem as V shaped with deep bass and extended trebles sometime sibilant.

To my ear are quiet...neutral....warmish!

I use foam tips and silver plated 8 core cable.
What's wrong?
Nah, variables aside... It's not neutral, Def v- shape. Bass and treble way too prominent competed to mids. Mids are still quite clear and it's an iem I've always liked.

Oct 6, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #28,909 of 31,833
Try using some of those crappy wide shallow bore tips from the NRA on the V90 and see if it doesn't sound a bit brighter and less warm.

The GK10 had me convinced that I had a defective unit, and this IEM in particular had a lot of returns. There was a ton of midbass bloat and virtually no treble detail up top ... but the problems were equally balanced. Usually 1 of 2 units is bad, not both equally. I got around eventually to changing out tips to wide shallow bore and the GK10 are like a different pair of IEM altogether. None of my other KZ based sets are that tip sensitive, but it can happen. Trial and error is a big part of getting the right sound out of them.
When I'll be at home I'll try to change the tips! 😉👍

Some babies are more sensitive then others 😂😂
Nah, variables aside... It's not neutral, Def v- shape. Bass and treble way too prominent competed to mids. Mids are still quite clear and it's an iem I've always liked.
Exactly harry501501 this Is my complain...my V90 plays similar to Tanya...with less pronunced bass 😱

Oct 6, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #28,910 of 31,833
When I'll be at home I'll try to change the tips! 😉👍

Some babies are more sensitive then others 😂😂

Exactly harry501501 this Is my complain...my V90 plays similar to Tanya...with less pronunced bass 😱
Today I've learned an hard lesson....

I've try on the V90 every kind of tips without any result...when I've decide to vs them with the MT1: much more bass ad energy, less body and warmness.

Uhmmm.....🤔🤔

Look...look...🧐🧐
mumble...mumble....🤔🤔

I've try to change the 8 core cable with a stock KZ 4 core cable (the new one) and the magic appens....

Now my V90 has her bass!! (But loose body and warmness)

Chapeau to everyone that don't believe more expensive cables are always an upgrade! 👍 :)

Oct 6, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #28,911 of 31,833
Today I've learned an hard lesson....

I've try on the V90 every kind of tips without any result...when I've decide to vs them with the MT1: much more bass ad energy, less body and warmness.

Uhmmm.....🤔🤔

Look...look...🧐🧐
mumble...mumble....🤔🤔

I've try to change the 8 core cable with a stock KZ 4 core cable (the new one) and the magic appens....

Now my V90 has her bass!! (But loose body and warmness)

Chapeau to everyone that don't believe more expensive cables are always an upgrade! 👍 :)
Changes in sound with cables are based on their resistance values not cost.

Thin stock cables, especially old KZ and TRN ones with 1.5-2 Ohm total resistance do effectivrly serve as impedance adaptors, and some people like "more bass" while adding the extra load - what happens is that their source can't do highs as good any more with the load, so bass becomes more dominant (and often loose) in this poor (in my limited opinion) form of the treble attenuation.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #28,912 of 31,833
Hi Headfiers and budget minded audiophile! This thread is open to anybody that seek the highest sound value possible. Please share your serious discoveries and avoid hyping mediocre IEM. For example, an IEM that need to be EQ to sound good isn't worth the attention.
A great IEM should pass test of time, so their plenty of exceptional earphones still hiding in the shadow of over hyped ones. To judge greatness of an IEM, we most be extremely critical about it's TECHNICAL talent because this is the so called ''benefit return'' audiophile seek in kilobucks TOTL earphones. Sure, if tonality is disastrous, it's a pass, but we can find perfect tonality even in sub-20$ price range.

This is why i decide to work on a more severe BEST BUDGET IEM list. The old one was full of IEM that aren't for sale anymore....it was too permissive too. So....

THIS LIST only include the BEST Earphones I personally test and find excellent for their price from the more than 200 iem I’ve tested.
As well, it will be limited to sub-500$ price range and will be regularly updated.
I decide to take a more severe approach that favorise exceptional audio quality over decent sounding quantity. The goal is to only put what stand appart in term of AUDIOPHILE SOUND VALUE. While this can seem subjective, my experience is concentrate on this highest sound benefit quest since 10 years so i’m very aware and sensible about this type of value. Sure, this is subjective to some part, but I try my best to forget my personal tuning preference taste and focus on critical listening; grumpy, no bs way.

You can press on the earphones name to read full review when available.

About scoring:

Tone
=Tonal balance cohesion & Individual tone-timbre of instruments
Tech= Technicalities like attack speed-sustain-decay, resolution, precision, imaging, dynamic(etc)
V=Value which take the price in account and A=Absolute which doesn’t take the price in account.
SoundSig= Soundsignature. Overall kind of sound it deliver.

——-
1-30$

-SONY MH750 (1DD)-
Tone : 8/10
Tech: V=7.5/10 A=6.5
SoundSig : Harman Balanced U shape with boosted sub bass recessed upper treble

-KZ EDX (1DD)-
Tone : 7.6/10
Tech : V=8/10 A=6.6/10
SoundSig : Bright W shape with upper mids boost

-EZAUDIO ED4 (1DD)-
Tone :
7.5/10
Tech: V=8.2/10 A=7/10
SoundSig : Neutral to slight W shape with treble boost

-FINAL E1000 (1DD)-
Tone : 8.5/10
Tech: V=8.2/10 A=7.5/10
SoundSig : Neutral to warm W shape with mids boost

-**** **** (1DD+1BA+1piezo driver)-
Tone:
7.4/10
Tech: V=9.5/10 A=7.8/10
Soundsig: Vivid L shape to W shape with boosted sub bass-mids-upper treble, and unique holographic imaging.

-HIFIMAN RE400 (single micro-DD, 20-40$ now)
Tone:
7.8/10
Tech: V=8.5/10 A=7.5/10
Soundsig: Bright neutral with light bass and boosted upper mids and treble.

-TANCHJIM TANYA (1DD)-
Tone : 8.4/10
Tech : V=7.5/10 A=7/10
SoundSig : Harman W shape with sub bass boost and upper highs boost

-KBEAR KB04 (1DD+1BA)-
Tech : V=8.5/10 A=7.5/10
SoundSig :Crisp bright balanced W shape with boosted bass+lower&upper treble

-KBEAR LARK (1DD+1BA)-
Tone :
7.5/10
Tech : V=7.8/10 A=7/10
SoundSig : Warmish W shape to U shape with very boosted bass

-BLON BL-03 (1DD)-
Tone : 8.2/10
Tech : V=8.2/10 A=7.5/10
SoundSig : Warmish well balanced W shape with boosted bass and mid treble

-DQSM Hermit (1DD)-
Tone : 7.5/10
Tech : V=8.3/10 A=7.7/10
SoundSig : Crisp W shape with recessed lower mids+boosted treble

-JADE AUDIO ED3 (1DD+1 Knowles BA)
Tone: 7.5/10
Tech: V=8/10 A=7.5/10
Soundsig: Excited V to W shape with big bass boost and slight upper mids boost.

30-60$

-TINHIFI T2 (Dual DD)-
Tone :
8/10
Tech : V=8.2/10 A=7.4/10
Timbre: Lush to brightish with boosted texture
SoundSig : Neutral to warmish W shape with recessed sub bass

-TINHIFI T2+ (1DD)-
Tech: V=7.5/10 A=7.3/10
Timbre: Warm organic with good density
SoundSig : Warm neutral to mid centric

-AUDIOSENSE T180 (1 knowles BA)-
Tone : 7.5/10
Tech: V=8/10 A=7.2/10
Timbre: realist-bright with boosted texture
Soundsig : Crisp neutral to mid+lower treble centric

-KBEAR NEON (1 knowles BA)-
Tone : 7.8/10
Tech: V=8.5/10 A=7.8/10
Timbre: realist-cold-clean with great transparency
SoundSig : Crisp neutral to smooth W shape with treble emphasis

-BLON BL05S (1DD)-
Tone :
7.6/10
Tech : V=8/10 A=7.5/10
Timbre: Bright-rubbery-a bit artificial
SoundSig : Bright W shape with boosted bass

-BQEYZ KC2 (1DD+2BA)-
Tone :
8/10
Tech: V=8.4/10 A=7.7/10
Timbre: natural-organic to brightish
Soundsig : Warmish W shape with boosted mids-lower treble

-BQEYZ K1 (1DD+1BA)-
Tone :
8/10
Tech : V=8/10 A=7.4/10
Timbre: natural-organic
Soundsig : Warmish W to V shape with boosted bass and mids and recessed upper treble

-BQEYZ KB100 (1DD+2BA)-
Tech : V=8.5/10 A=8/10
Timbre: Realist-organic
Soundsig : Smooth neutral to warm balanced W shape with recessed upper treble

-FINAL E2000 (1DD)-
Tech : V=8/10 A=7.6/10
Timbre: Bright realist
Soundsig : Balanced brightish W shape with mid bass + slight upper mids and treble boost

-FINAL E3000 (1DD)-
Tone : 8.2/10
Tech : V=7.8/10 A=7.4/10
Timbre: warm organic, natural, good density
Soundsig : Warm Harman to V shape with very boosted mid bass and slightly boosted mids-lower treble

-MOONDROP SSP (1DD)-
Tech : V=7.5/10 A=7/10
Timbre: warm and organic, hint lush, good density
SoundSig : Brightish harman to V shape with boosted mids+lowerr treble and warm bass

-FIIO FD1 (1 Bery plated DD)-
Tech : V=8/10 A=7.6/10
Timbre: dense, textured, slightly bright
Soundsig : Brightish W shape with extended upper treble boost

-HZSOUND HEART MIRROR (1 DLC DD)-
Tone :
8.4/10
Tech: V=10/10 A=8.8/10 Highlight=Clean Clarity, Imaging, details, transparency, attack speed,
Timbre:
Cold bright, slightly thin, very realist and nuanced (not too boosted) in texture
Soundsig : Crisp neutral to balanced W shape with lean extended bass, plus slight full treble boost and extension

-GEEK WOLD GK10 (2xDD, 1xBA, 2xPiezo)-
Tone: 7.8/10
Tech: V=9.2/10 A=8.5/10 Highlight= Imaging, Attack speed, Resolution
Timbre:
Bright, just a hint grainy, realistic, abrasive, textured and slightly thin in lower mids.
Soundsig: Energic yet non shouty W shape to vivid L shape, unforced analytical, bright but non sibilant with thumpy bass, very extended in treble

60-100$

-HISENIOR T2U (2 Knowles BA/80$ at the time)-
Tone :
8.4/10
Tech : V=9/10 A=8.4/10
Timbre: Dry to slightly bright-cold, very realist, very transparent, clean
Soundsig : Crisp neutral to smooth W shape

-MOONDROP ARIA (1 LCP DD/80$)-
Tone :
8.4/10
Tech: V=8.2/10 A= 8/10
Timbre: Thin, dry, realist with great transparency
Soundsig : Crisp Harman neutral to U shape with extra upper treble boost extension

-BQEYZ SPRING 1 (1DD+2BA+1piezo drive/ can now be found for 105$)-
Timbre: bright and very textured, cold-realist with low transparency
Soundsig : Bright W shape to analytical with boosted mid bass and treble

-IKKO OH1 (1DD+1knowles BA / now selling 100$ in official store)-
Timbre: Thin bright textured, hint artificial
Soundsig : Balanced V shape with slightly boosted upper mids and extended sub bass

-WHIZZER HE01 (1DD)-
Tone:
8/10
Tech: V=7.5/10 A=7.2/10
Timbre: Thick, warm, lush and natural
Soundsig: Warm energic W shape with boosted mid bass.

-THIEAUDIO LEGACY 2 (1 Bery Plated DD+1 Knowle BA)-
Tone: 7.8/10
Tech: V=8/10 A=7.5/10
Timbre: Dry realist, slightly thin
Soundsig: Smooth L shape to neutral with detailed lower and mid treble.

100-200$

-BQEYZ SPRING2 (1dual DD-piezo+1BA)-
Tone: 8.5/10
Tech: V=8.8 A=8.5/10
Timbre: brightish to natural with great texture and good density
Soundsig: warm energic W shape with thumpy mid bass, and equivalent mids-treble boost

-ORIOLUS FINSCHI (1DD+1knowles BA)-
Tone: 8.4/10
Tech: V=8.6/10 A=8.2/10
Timbre: organic clean and transparent, a bit thin and cold
Soundsig: L shape to U shape with full lean mids and crisp treble

-FIIO FH3 (1DD+2 knowles BA)-
Tone: 8.2/10
Tech: V=8.7/10 A=8.4/10
Timbre: clean dry with good transparency, a bit thin and cold
Soundsig: Slight L shape to neutral with boosted sub bass and extra treble presence

-IKKO OH10 (1DD+1knowles BA)-
Tone: 8/10
Tech: V=8.5/10 A=8.3/10
Timbre: Thin bright textured, realist but a bit cold
Soundsig : Balanced V shape with slightly boosted upper mids and extended sub bass

-SEEAUDIO YUME (1DD+2Knowles BA)-
Tone: 8.3/10
Tech: V=8.6/10 A=8.4/10
Timbre: Smooth, natural, hint cold, transparent but slightly thin
Soundsig: U shape to harman neutral, lean mids and treble and boosted sub-bass, smooth and organic

-TRI I3PRO (1D+1PLANAR+1BA)-
Tone:
8.2/10
Tech: V=8.8/10 A=8.5/10
Timbre: Dark, smoothen in texture, natural warm, good transparency but a bit heterogeneous.
Soundsig: U shape to harman neutral, boosted sub-bass that warm the mids, unique tonality.

-TFORCE YUAN LI (1DD)-
Tone: 8.5/10
Tech: V=8.4/10 A=8.2/10
Timbre: Full and natural, nuanced but smooth in texture, hint warm.
Soundsig: Harman neutral to W shape with boosted sub bass and gently boosted mids and relaxed but crisp treble.

200-300$

-AUDIOSENSE T800 (8 knowles BA)-
Tone: 8.4/10
Tech: V=10/10 A=9/10
Timbre: warmish but saturated with texture, thick and natural-lush-euphonic
Soundsig: agressive warrm W to V shape with big bass boost, big mids boost, smooth treble boost

-DUNU DK2001 (1DD+2 Knowles BA)-
Tone: 8.6/10
Tech: V=8.6/10 A=8.5/10
Timbre: warm, thick, natural to lush
Soundsig: warrm W shape to energic L shape with bass boost and rolled off upper treble

-AUNE JASPER (1DD)-
Tone: 8.6/10
Tech: V=8.7/10 A=8.6/10
Timbre: Natural, transparent, organic, smooth and gently textured
Soundsig: Harman target to crisp U shape, slight sub bass boost, airy mids, clean treble

-SONY MDR-EX1000 (1DD)-
Tone:
8.8/10
Tech: V= 8.5/10 A=8.2/10
Timbre: Bright to lush with great texture and dense body
Soundsig: Energic neutral to bright mid centric with slightly punchy bass

AUDIOSENSE DT600 (6BA)-
Tone:
8.5/10
Tech: V=8.8/10 A=8.7/10
Timbre: Warm but nuanced in texture, natural, transparent
Soundsig: Smooth W to L shape with boosted sub bass-mids and lower treble+vivid upper highs

300-500$

-FIIO FH7 (1DD+4Knowles BA)-
Tone: 8.7/10
Tech: V=8.8/10 A=8.8/10
Timbre: Lush, natural, dense yet transparent, well textured without being bright
Soundsig: W shape with tight punchy bass, thick mids and full&crisp treble. ”Fun neutral”

-UNIQUE MELODY 3DT (3DD)-
Tone: 8.3/10
Tech: V=8.4/10 A=8.3/10
Timbre: Lush, thick and a hint bright in texture
Soundsig: Energic W to V shape, boosted bass and upper mids+crunchy highs with tamed upper treble.

-----------------------------------------

For more reviews (not just IEM), please give a look and subscribe to my website. I appreciate some encouragement!
https://nobsaudiophile.com/

If your into Facebook audio groups things, join the NBBA community once it will be back (on Pause now due to lack of time):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2356925341002367

beerchug.gif
Hi guys! I'm back for good. More pumped up than ever to find the real sound value gems.

Any suggestions that doesn't figure on this list??

And yes, I widen the price range up to 500$, but that doesn't mean i forget the magical sub-100$ price range.

For example, MOONDROP ARIA is among my fav sub-100$ budget IEM at the moment, with the unbeatable HZsound Mirror!

I just got the AUDIOSENSE DT600 too, which sound very good with the right eartips (KZ Starlines). Similar to Seeaudio Yume but with better imaging-layering and more punchy bass (but not as well extended....DD beating BA against). It's very different than the T800, more neutral. Mix the Yume with T800 and your not far from DT600 tonality.

Oct 8, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #28,913 of 31,833
Oct 8, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #28,914 of 31,833
1633712271351.png

1633712286894.png

Just receive the CCA NRA because i was super intrigue by implementation of EST driver...as seen it's in front of the DD...which perhaps explain this grainy deep-less sound...very opaque and saturated....and the dynamic isn't neither weighty and well articulated.

A big PASS. But it open the market for cheap EST drivers, we can give this to the CCA.

Timbre is artificial, bass is tamed in impact and whole sound feel compressed. Bright W shape with rolled off sub bass and distached treble. Vocal are horrifious.

Oct 8, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #28,915 of 31,833
Have you ever considered the MOFASEST TRIO? It's considered something of a bargain trybrid.
Nope....interesting but at 500$ thats really the limit price so it must be freakin incredible sounding...did they do a good job balancing all these drivers togheter or some section sound off or have different timbre or dynamic impact etc??

Its in direct competition with Moondrop Variation and Dunu est112....wonder how they compare.

Oct 8, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #28,916 of 31,833
the unbeatable HZsound Mirror!
I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. Heart Mirror has set a benchmark for sub $100 IEMs IMO. It's very difficult to get the right balance of technicalities, timbre and musicality that too keeping price below a proper meal in the West.

If folks can get the grip around the neutrality then Heart Mirror is most bang for buck IEM IMO. I have personally shelved many IEMs after getting them.

Oct 8, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #28,917 of 31,833
I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. Heart Mirror has set a benchmark for sub $100 IEMs IMO. It's very difficult to get the right balance of technicalities, timbre and musicality that too keeping price below a proper meal in the West.

If folks can get the grip around the neutrality then Heart Mirror is most bang for buck IEM IMO. I have personally shelved many IEMs after getting them.
AMEN.

Indeed, its the iem i praise the must in my audiophile journey, sound value is skyrocket high...HZM doesnt feel anachronical even in 200-300$ price range comparisons...i call them Baby Final A8k. Technicalities are THAT good.

It make 1year and half these have been around and im soooo happy they will keep production cause of high demand! T'was about time!

HZsound Mirror are unbeatable sub-100$ benchmark imo, even Aria can't keep up with it's attack speed.

Oct 9, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #28,919 of 31,833
Hi guys! I'm back for good. More pumped up than ever to find the real sound value gems.

Any suggestions that doesn't figure on this list??

And yes, I widen the price range up to 500$, but that doesn't mean i forget the magical sub-100$ price range.

For example, MOONDROP ARIA is among my fav sub-100$ budget IEM at the moment, with the unbeatable HZsound Mirror!

I just got the AUDIOSENSE DT600 too, which sound very good with the right eartips (KZ Starlines). Similar to Seeaudio Yume but with better imaging-layering and more punchy bass (but not as well extended....DD beating BA against). It's very different than the T800, more neutral. Mix the Yume with T800 and your not far from DT600 tonality.
Great list and effort NimPHONOmaniac! 👍

In the lower price list to my ear MT1 Is very similar to EDX.
VK4 and Melody could have a place in the list.
(Which Is the fifth in the list?)🤔😉

Jade Audio ED3 ...mayby EA3 in the 30-60€ range? And I will suggest Revonext QT2 and Mele.

No KZ/CCA in the list. Do you think CCA C10/C12 and almost KZ KS10pro/ZSX or something else could be put in the list?
Many headfiers like them as fun iems.

Same price range iBasso IT00 and Shozy Form 1.1 maybe are good choice.

Upper range are out of my competence and I trust your judgement.👍 :)

Oct 9, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #28,920 of 31,833
1633712271351.png

1633712286894.png

Just receive the CCA NRA because i was super intrigue by implementation of EST driver...as seen it's in front of the DD...which perhaps explain this grainy deep-less sound...very opaque and saturated....and the dynamic isn't neither weighty and well articulated.

A big PASS. But it open the market for cheap EST drivers, we can give this to the CCA.

Timbre is artificial, bass is tamed in impact and whole sound feel compressed. Bright W shape with rolled off sub bass and distached treble. Vocal are horrifious.

NRA needs long burn in and tips and cable replacement to sound decent.

After this I've give them a better judgement.

I will compare them with the new ZEX as cheap piezo drivers in the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back