CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 22, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #28,187 of 31,867
May 22, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #28,188 of 31,867
03FA77D1-CFA7-4ABE-9472-E960F30CB302.jpeg
E0FE4A60-11C7-4D02-8F31-B24E2159B3D1.jpeg

Moondrop Sparks:
OOTB, this immediately become my favorite TWS over AirPods pro.
-Wide diffusion field
-cohesive overall tonality
-bright neutral with slight bass floor lifted, not harman level.
-3-4khz area is a bit bright with a good consequence of vocal transparency.
-Not offensive bright to my standard, it’s about same as Sennheiser’s HD560S class.
-For extra $5, you a nice leather case with 水月雨 Moondrop kanji icon.
-piano sounds very welcoming on Sparks. Especially nocturnal type slow and mellow one.
-comes variety of ear tips(regular silicone, bass boost thin skin, form, AND shorter tips)
-good deeper insertion to keep TWS stable, and this helps for smaller ears for the housing not directly interfering with ear.

Moondrop nailed it👍

Basically it’s about same price with Aria $80 vs Sparks $90+5 for leather case if you want.

Sound Quality wise Aria is on upper hand, but not very far, both has wide sound stage, tuned right, bass may sound a bit more engaging on Sparks with bass boost tips on.

Great for pops, with vocal focus, and inoffensive back stage music & good bass, it matches perfectly with pops /EDM.

Why would I choose Sparks over Airpods Pro? The bass, on AptX, with bass boost ear tips that came with Sparks, it’s a promising Oomph experience, not just ear canal, but inner nose also get a sense of bass resonance.

Last edited:
May 22, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #28,189 of 31,867
Say, did the fact it can't stream LDAC affect your listening session with Moondrop Sparks?

I'm currently using BTR5 (LDAC transmission) but didn't exactly go far with the customization or experimenting and more just casual use.
Do APTX Adaptive have actual hearable resolution difference with LDAC?

May 22, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #28,190 of 31,867
Say, did the fact it can't stream LDAC affect your listening session with Moondrop Sparks?

I'm currently using BTR5 (LDAC transmission) but didn't exactly go far with the customization or experimenting and more just casual use.
I can't tell the difference on my Shanling UP4 but you should try for yourself on your BTR5.

I just use Aptx as the battery life is noticeably better with it.

May 22, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #28,191 of 31,867
I can't tell the difference on my Shanling UP4 but you should try for yourself on your BTR5.

I just use Aptx as the battery life is noticeably better with it.
With LDAC i could tell the difference between spotify and UAPP/lossless source.
Tough its possible the difference is from "mastering difference" and i'm not savvy enough to tell the source of the difference

I'll experiment with the same test against aptx vs LDAC...

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #28,192 of 31,867

the difference between LDAC and AptxHD when I examined with Sennheiser HD560S is not resolving capability, it was dynamism of the sound quality, AptX HD basically sounded like Apple losses, LDAC:SACD. LDAC sucks huge amount of battery, and is not as stable as AptX HD, so it’s a trade off decision.

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #28,193 of 31,867
So, after all this time i work hard to praise the HZSOUND MIRROR it seem its popular everwhere but here....what an headfi'ish irony!
Well, their not a single doubt that the HZSOUND MIRROR is still the giant-killer (let use hyper langage) under 100$!

But it seem 2 otherIEM might use same driver too -bassier way...with less convincing built and package....but well, they are BLON BL05S and Tripowin TC01.

Whos the first? The egg or the chicken? Who know, but HZsound Mirror is the neutral audiophile one with better built and package.

I will receive BL05S very soon to confirm the overall ''winner''.

Now, my wish is that this thread go back to its roots: which is finding the real exceptionnal IEM, the very very few one in chifi market.

Blon Mini is OK, not exceptional. Moondrop SSP is less than OK. Blon 03 and ****, KC2 are still legit. Lotta things going on, time to go back to work.

May 24, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #28,194 of 31,867
So, after all this time i work hard to praise the HZSOUND MIRROR it seem its popular everwhere but here....what an headfi'ish irony!
Well, their not a single doubt that the HZSOUND MIRROR is still the giant-killer (let use hyper langage) under 100$!

But it seem 2 otherIEM might use same driver too -bassier way...with less convincing built and package....but well, they are BLON BL05S and Tripowin TC01.

Whos the first? The egg or the chicken? Who know, but HZsound Mirror is the neutral audiophile one with better built and package.

Now, my wish is that this thread go back to its roots: which is finding the real exceptionnal IEM, the very very few one in chifi market.

Blon Mini is OK, not exceptional. Moondrop SSP is less than OK. Blon 03 and ****, KC2 are still legit. Lotta things going on, time to go back to work.
Tripowin TC01 is good with good source and high amping.

If I don't have any mid tiers IEM, I will stick to TC01

May 24, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #28,196 of 31,867
As far as i read, both HeartMirror and TC-01 have the same rave review,
"Great natural sound, NEED AMP."
Yes....they scale up with amping...gaining bit of timbre density, bass extension-weight and soundstage openess. But it doesnt mean they will sound bad with LG V30 at high gain, just more closed-up, lean and cold.
TC01 seem notably more V shape but i didnt hear them, pretty sure they are excellent with all the rave around them that pass honey moon hyping period!

May 24, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #28,197 of 31,867
Listening right now to BQEYZ SUMMER, and while its not my type of signature they are far from bad sounding!
Very cohesive tuning with richly nuanced treble, round thumpy bass, excellent mid timbre. Warmer than both Spring1-2, less airy, analytical and open sounding.
I will share with you what happen when you pull off front mesh:
186479356_141403181307138_554345807826643222_n.png

As seen, mids are boosted 2db more but keep their balance, overall sound is cleaner, brighter, more open and imaging gain in precision. Lower mids are still lacking though.

May 24, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #28,198 of 31,867

How is Aria against all of those, especually Mirror?
I am not in single DDs, so in my active collection there are only BL03 and Aria. (not counting DQ6 and not including E3000, which I think I finally understood but still not use for the cables alone).
Both BL03 and Aria are quite complimentary to my and enjoyable for their strength. Aria is definitely more as "all-arounder".

May 24, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #28,199 of 31,867

Chi-fi has always had better value in the sub 50 price bracket as opposed to sub 100. Of late many established brands have stopped making genuinely exciting IEMs in the budget category. Is it due to the local demand or they feel that West will always be their guinea pigs.

And the obscure brands are sadly not getting any visibility maybe due to AliExpress algo or lack of faith from customers. What I have sensed is that of late, the budget category is going through a lull phase where most offerings are sidegrades to most members' existing collection. Unless some genuinely path-breaking IEM appears the picture will remain the same.

May 24, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #28,200 of 31,867
Chi-fi has always had better value in the sub 50 price bracket as opposed to sub 100. Of late many established brands have stopped making genuinely exciting IEMs in the budget category. Is it due to the local demand or they feel that West will always be their guinea pigs.

And the obscure brands are sadly not getting any visibility maybe due to AliExpress algo or lack of faith from customers. What I have sensed is that of late, the budget category is going through a lull phase where most offerings are sidegrades to most members' existing collection. Unless some genuinely path-breaking IEM appears the picture will remain the same.
Well....look at it from the bright side. At least our wallets are safe. :joy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back