CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Apr 27, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #27,736 of 31,867
Apr 27, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #27,737 of 31,867
KS1 better than DQ6.....in which multiverse? :ksc75smile:

Opinion. To my ears the DQ6 sounds.. OK. It"s got better technicalities than the KS1, but the KS1 sounds more cohesive, where a couple of frequencies just sound a bit rubbish with the DQ6. One of the pitfalls of using multiple drivers I guess. It's heaps better than the immensely disappointing Tin T1 Plus, but not so good in my opinion as the DQ6 or the Blon BL01.

Apr 27, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #27,738 of 31,867
Opinion. To my ears the DQ6 sounds.. OK. It"s got better technicalities than the KS1, but the KS1 sounds more cohesive, where a couple of frequencies just sound a bit rubbish with the DQ6. One of the pitfalls of using multiple drivers I guess. It's heaps better than the immensely disappointing Tin T1 Plus, but not so good in my opinion as the DQ6 or the Blon BL01.
Yea if the spot is on tonal coherency, agree DQ6 still suffers from multi driver’s fate. DQ6 got better resolution, kinda weird but wider sound stage, and resolving capabilities so knuckle to knuckle I think DQ6 is superior compared to KS1. Only if tonal coherency weighted 40% of the total grading plus the personal tonality favor with another 40%, KS1 might be a pick.

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #27,739 of 31,867
Ah wait, it was ZSX, I've mistaken it to ASX. I believe ZSX is closer to ZAX, with few dips and hiccups.
ZAX shows much fidelity to the Harman curve with few spikes, for Harman curse itself for the treble sensitive group, is regarded "bright and peaky", especially KZ's BA is a custom bellsing units, some of the treble unit has their own unique spikes sometimes.

As you mentioned you like Shure sound, which from my old memories about SE535 and others that Shure has very tender and kind of dark-ish treble, no spikes or whatsoever,, your preference may simply more inclined to the bass-rolled neutral sound signature. Which I would suggest trying on See Audio Yume(Not a sub$100 though)
While I prefer the Shure sound to the ZSX, I actually like the sound of my IT01 most of all. I've heard that iem only described as V-shaped. So I'd say I prefer V-shaped sound over flat sound. But the treble on the ZSX is way over the top. Much more treble than my IT01.

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #27,740 of 31,867
While I prefer the Shure sound to the ZSX, I actually like the sound of my IT01 most of all. I've heard that iem only described as V-shaped. So I'd say I prefer V-shaped sound over flat sound. But the treble on the ZSX is way over the top. Much more treble than my IT01.
I see, anyway, if you prefer iBasso V-signature, your next bet for any upgrade will be fearless S8Z, I recall it's a nicely done V-shape one.

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #27,741 of 31,867
I've tried both the KZ cable & a Kbear cable. It seemed to make little difference.
As far as the ZAX, I read many reviews that said the ZSX & ZAX have a very similar sound signature. You don't find this to be true?
ZAX continues from ZSX (and ZS10 pro), but it is tuned your way - more bass and more polite/refined treble, while still V.

P. S. But then the main question: would the difference be enough? If ZSX is largely not to your liking, then ZAX may not work as well.

To add last - ZSX and ZAX are one of the least cable-dependent IEMs out there in my experience...

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #27,742 of 31,867

I second that, to me KS1 better sounding than DQ6. KS1 does not need upgraded cable or eartips to sound just like that. I hate experiment of cable/tips rolling. Used to be fun when I am a starving student. not anymore

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #27,743 of 31,867
I personally would have a safer bet will be on TRI Starsea, especially aliexpress Tech Mania sales discounts Starsea to close to $100 line, ($107), simply due to its neutral-ish signature with playable switches, as a sole IEM to live with. HE01 seems a good bet too, the accessories and build are astonishing!

I second that, Starsea is the best bang for your bucks

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #27,744 of 31,867
Tips, burn in and amplification all make a difference to the KS1 (I've also replaced the cable, make of that what you will). OOTB it's got wooly bass and recessed mids. A few tweaks later and it sounds how I like it (natural-ish, but with weight). Not so good as the BL05S but leagues better than the DQ6 to my ears.
no need, plug it to BTR5 high gain, it will open up KS1 without burning, I am suspecting power hungry driver from KS1

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #27,745 of 31,867
no need, plug it to BTR5 high gain, it will open up KS1 without burning, I am suspecting power hungry driver from KS1
I don't understand this, I use it straight out of my phone's headphone jack at 30% volume and it is about 80db. I do sometimes use a cheap amp to drive my blons, but only to make them sound better at quieter volume levels. The ks1 are very easily driven. My blons don't sound great out of a phone un amped unless they are set to LOUD, and that ain't good for my ears.

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #27,746 of 31,867
I don't understand this, I use it straight out of my phone's headphone jack at 30% volume and it is about 80db. I do sometimes use a cheap amp to drive my blons, but only to make them sound better at quieter volume levels. The ks1 are very easily driven. My blons don't sound great out of a phone un amped unless they are set to LOUD, and that ain't good for my ears.

KS1 is easy to drive, but with more power, the more resolution you have, at least for me. It sounds completely different from BTR5 vs Iphone plug.

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #27,747 of 31,867
KS1 is easy to drive, but with more power, the more resolution you have, at least for me. It sounds completely different from BTR5 vs Iphone plug.
Hmmm fair enough, might have to try it with my random amp. I'm tempted to get a btr5

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #27,748 of 31,867
Hmmm fair enough, might have to try it with my random amp. I'm tempted to get a btr5
just buy it from Amazon, try it out, if not good return for full money back.

make sure to update the version, pain in the arse, but version 2 is better than 1

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #27,749 of 31,867
BTR5 is really great, amazing for $120 (after settling on my perfect IEM I spent some efforts/funds on different DACs - BTR5 and BTR3k for a simpler sound but a lot of versatility - balanced, amazing battery life, and cute- are two of mine winners).
Never was even tempted to use the high gain on BTR5 with IEMs.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #27,750 of 31,867
BTR5 is really great, amazing for $120 (after settling on my perfect IEM I spent some efforts/funds on different DACs - BTR5 and BTR3k for a simpler sound but a lot of versatility - balanced, amazing battery life, and cute- are two of mine winners).
Never was even tempted to use the high gain on BTR5 with IEMs.
I got addicted with high gain on BTR5 on CA16 and Believe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back