CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Mar 2, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #27,226 of 31,833
BLON BL03 vs Moondrop SSP. The price is the same and I want to try something new. Lets hear your opinions!

Mar 2, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #27,227 of 31,833
BLON BL03 vs Moondrop SSP. The price is the same and I want to try something new. Lets hear your opinions!
I have both of these and if I have to chose one I would pick SSP anytime. Although Blon have legendary timbre and status in head-fi community, for me SSP is overall better earphone with cleaner sound, better separations, better comfort and much better cable and accessories. Also, they have better design. They are so small and so cute :wink:

Mar 2, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #27,228 of 31,833
I have both of these and if I have to chose one I would pick SSP anytime. Although Blon have legendary timbre and status in head-fi community, for me SSP is overall better earphone with cleaner sound, better separations, better comfort and much better cable and accessories. Also, they have better design. They are so small and so cute :wink:
You hit all the points important to me. Separation is key the older my ears get. Clean and comfort are biggies too! Thanks

Mar 2, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #27,229 of 31,833
Any recommendation for a sub $80 IEM. I play bass guitar at church where the volume is well controlled on stage. I have been using the KZ ZS7. I am happy with it but wonder if there is anything better. I tried the KZ S10 Pros and they sounded awesome but were a bit sibilant and harsh cymbal crashes is not what I want. I've owned KZ5, KZ6 which were also harsh in my opinion.
Ive been looking at KZ ZAX, Tin T2, TC-01. I mainly shop on Amazon.

Mar 2, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #27,230 of 31,833
You hit all the points important to me. Separation is key the older my ears get. Clean and comfort are biggies too! Thanks

Oh Lord if separation means a dime to you, don't bother with the BL03. Not now, not ever. That said, I find the separation of big brother the BL05S better than any other IEM I've ever heard.

Mar 2, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #27,231 of 31,833
Oh Lord if separation means a dime to you, don't bother with the BL03. Not now, not ever. That said, I find the separation of big brother the BL05S better than any other IEM I've ever heard.
Yeah that reminds me I've managed to improve virtually everything about my BL-03... Except the imaging.

Tripowin zonie? Improved bass extension and less harsh treble due to said cable not yanking them out.

Rolled dried alcohol wipe filter mod? Improved bass texture and subbass slams more and sped up attack and decay overall.

AZLA Sednaearfitlight? Bigger soundstange and increased treble extension.

EQ? Flattened the little peaks in the lower and mid treble, sounding even smoother, reduced midbass bleed making it flatter overall.

The imaging. The same up, down, left, right, front, back blobs as I first listened to it.

Mar 3, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #27,232 of 31,833
Should I guess that what my big brother needs is headgear that can go loud while moving as little air in the process as possible?

Edit: Is this why BAs are popular for hearing aids. Although I think bone conductors are even more so.
I was under the impression that BAs are used in hearing aids because they are really small and can easily fit inside the ear canal.

The KBear F1 is the cheapest single-BA IEM I can think of, and that thing probably doesn't move much air considering the tiny size of the driver. Maybe that could work?

Mar 3, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #27,233 of 31,833
I was under the impression that BAs are used in hearing aids because they are really small and can easily fit inside the ear canal.

The KBear F1 is the cheapest single-BA IEM I can think of, and that thing probably doesn't move much air considering the tiny size of the driver. Maybe that could work?
The nicehck x49 exists. But I'd assume finding it is another story.

Mar 3, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #27,234 of 31,833

Yes BAs started as hearing aid technology before audio companies incorporated them into IEMs. BA IEMs used to be super expensive before Bellsing came onto the scene and churned out cheaper drivers (which translated to less costs for consumers). In fact, Bellsing were accused of Knowles of copying their technology and undercutting prices, for which there's a big lawsuit going on now: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/cxqlje/knowles_files_claim_with_us_trade_commission_to/

As for the KBEAR F1, best be careful, @Slater has shown there are at least 3 - 4 different driver types used in it. I think the production was outsourced to other companies to do OEMs, and some of them used different driver brands, so the sound signature may be different among the different drivers!

Mar 3, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #27,235 of 31,833
Ah, the F1 driver bingo. Gave up trying to get the correct ones after 3 pairs. NiceHCK X49 is a good little set if you can find them. Cheap too. Single BA not really my thing if I'm honest though. I love the DDs too much.

Mar 3, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #27,236 of 31,833
Ah, the F1 driver bingo. Gave up trying to get the correct ones after 3 pairs. NiceHCK X49 is a good little set if you can find them. Cheap too. Single BA not really my thing if I'm honest though. I love the DDs too much.
Dude, 7 months in this hobby and I still have yet to hear what a BA sounds like 😂

I guess I can't get past DD's.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #27,237 of 31,833
My version of the KBear F1 is not the best. The NiceCHK X49 will leave a lot to be desired compared to a DD or Hybrid IEM...it's just OK, but doesn't give the best bass, mids or highs. 'The jewel in the crown', of the single BA's that I have.........is the NiceHCK DT100. It's possible to get good thumpy mid-bass and quite an integrated sound (I use Spiral Dot L on all of them and aftermarket copper 4.4 cables). The DT100 is a very enjoyable single BA and well tuned. Tips and some work to seal well, makes a big difference on the DT100. Deep sub-bass is just not possible on any of them. The DT100's are way in front of the other two in my collection although my KBear F1 is not a great version.

Mar 3, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #27,238 of 31,833
Is there anything in same price range that beats KZ EDX, or are they still kings in that price range? Cus.. I just ordered them

Mar 3, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #27,239 of 31,833
Is there anything in same price range that beats KZ EDX, or are they still kings in that price range? Cus.. I just ordered them
For me they are sooo good! Love them more than my zs10 pro and Blon. I find their clarity top notch compared to the other two. The only thing close to the price of edx that I have is vk4. Compared to edx, that feels really muddy. I don't think you'll regret it.

Mar 3, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #27,240 of 31,833
got a friend who wants to buy an iem, he listen to music only from spotify or youtube and a standard phone, will never use eq nor viper, mainly italian pop/rock, some rock and some classical.

i only have the ZAX and he loves the sound i get from my gear but i guess that ZAX is way too technical for him, i would like to tell him to buy the MT300, but i've read in this thread that they have QC issues and i suspect that the unit on sale on aliexpress under 70€ are seriously at risk of being affected by those issues. probably the better choice would be the DQ6 once i find the right tips.

any opinions/alternatives?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back