CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 15, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #26,701 of 31,845
I think you hit the nail on the head regarding the T2 Plus. Objectively speaking, there's nothing offensive or "wrong" about it, yet they gradually became increasingly underutilized in my collection.

With the PortaPros, perhaps there was a mismatch between what it was and what I expected it to be. At the time I was running them out of my NW-A55 Walkman, so there may well have been a synergy issue as well. I have certainly not ruled out trying other Koss products though!

I do gravitate towards a clean sound with detail, resolution, sparkle and "air", with a realistic timbre for acoustic instruments. Not sure if that qualifies me as a treblehead, but it probably explains my picks right there :)

Try the KSC75, you be surprised on how different it is from the porta pro in both profile and quality. :wink:

yup, if bright, sparkly, and airy is the keyword, KSC75 is the better choice than portapros. also if you like to venture to earbuds, there's also Edifier H185 that shares similar signature as the KSC75. i personally prefer it more than the KSC75 though as a whole package, as it's also cheaper, and because the easier fit, have a more solid bass response than the KSC75.

finding that kind of signature on IEMs is a bit harder, especially among budget ones.. there's the original T2 (which you might already tried?) but still a bit different kind of air and sparkle than the two above

Dec 16, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #26,702 of 31,845
Stuff I liked:
Moondrop SSP - Unparalleled imaging, instrument separation, detail retrieval and timbre among anything in the sub-$100 range. A very successful re-tuning of the SSR that brings forth the true potential of the Super Spaceship driver across the entire frequency range. (Honourable mention: Moondrop SSR)

KZ ZAX - Entertaining and dynamic, yet smooth, refined and easy to drive. Relatively unique semi-open design gives it a wider soundstage than its KZ hybrid predecessors. In my opinion, the only thing that KZ has done right this year over $50.

CCA CST - Wooden shells for USD 12. No technicalities to speak of, but for this bargain basement price point you get a well-built set of transducers with decent timbre, surprisingly good clarity, and a very listenable sound overall. No sibilance, no muddiness, no shouty upper mids. You can't really ask for much more at this price.

Stuff I didn't:
Tin Hifi T2 Plus - Refined and mature tuning with a wide and deep soundstage, marred by poor isolation, short nozzle and MMCX issues. Worse still, I found them to be pretty boring-sounding after a while, eliciting none of the foot-tapping and head-bobbing responses that other IEMs pull off in their presentation of the music.

Koss Porta Pro - Flimsy, toy-like construction, treble roll-off, overly muddy, lacking in detail; if I wanted my music to sound like it was being played back on a cassette I would have listened to a cassette.

Openheart OH2000 Grado clones - Excellent construction and build quality, but shouty, sibilant and fatiguing sound. For modders only.

Sent Koss Porta Pro back after one listen. I do not get the praise it gets.

Dec 16, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #26,703 of 31,845
yup, if bright, sparkly, and airy is the keyword, KSC75 is the better choice than portapros. also if you like to venture to earbuds, there's also Edifier H185 that shares similar signature as the KSC75. i personally prefer it more than the KSC75 though as a whole package, as it's also cheaper, and because the easier fit, have a more solid bass response than the KSC75.

finding that kind of signature on IEMs is a bit harder, especially among budget ones.. there's the original T2 (which you might already tried?) but still a bit different kind of air and sparkle than the two above

Yes, I was more describing an ideal signature that I'm striving towards but by no means are they mandatory requirements for me to like something :) I will be taking a good long look at the KSC75 and Heart Mirror.

Dec 16, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #26,704 of 31,845
Great analogy. Good IEM to RESET your ears if your a reviewer or dangerously polygamous iem lover that wanna go from bright to warm or vice versa, use the glass of T2+ water to make your ears fresh again!

I have the Starfield and Final E4000 for that purpose....or Fiio FA9 or BGVP VG4 but i prefer DD timbre.

T2+ are something that you will listen once in a while but that session will be very engaging as it is very rare to listen uncolored sound in budget categories as @chinmie explained with his excellent analogy. I feel in this sea of fun, and harman neutral IEMs T2+ are a breath of fresh air. But I also understand why folks dislike them. I remember some old article on audiophile tuning where the engineers from headphone companies explain that if all headphones/IEMs were tuned to be neutral and colourless then people would get bored very quickly and easily. Hence, most of the top companies create their own version of neutral to maintain the engagement. I personally like T2+ because it simply reflects my music unadulterated. But can I survive only with such music for 365 days? Heck no, I need to head wobbling chi-fi mosnter to raise my spirits and punish my ears with the super-fun sound :D

Dec 16, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #26,705 of 31,845
The end of this damned year approach,it would be cool if headfier can share their personal favorite 2020 discoveries!

Mine:

IEM:
HZsound Mirror
Hisenior T2U
BQEYZ KC2
BGVP Zero (for vocal)
Moondrop Starfield
Final Audio E1000
KBear KB04
Blon BL-03
FIIO FH3
Dunu DK2001

DAC/AMP:
Topping L30 (bright, detailed open sound with powerfull output small size)
SMSL SH-9
QDELIX 5K (the BTR5 killer)
FIIO BTR5
Tempotec HD PRO (or even better Meizu hifi pro)
Audirect BEAM 2 (too expensive IMO but so powerfull and handy)
DIY ES9280C dongle

Worst IEM:
NiceHCK NX7 mk2 (Gold medal!)
Blon BL-05 (silver medal!)
Dunu DM480
KBear KS2 (Bronze medal!)
Tinhifi T2+
BQEYZ BQ3

This was a mellow year thanks to Covid. But here are mine.

Best -

Smabat NCO
Tin T2 Plus

DAC Amp
Fiio BTR5

Worst

TRN ST1

Dec 16, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #26,706 of 31,845
T2+ are something that you will listen once in a while but that session will be very engaging as it is very rare to listen uncolored sound in budget categories as @chinmie explained with his excellent analogy. I feel in this sea of fun, and harman neutral IEMs T2+ are a breath of fresh air. But I also understand why folks dislike them. I remember some old article on audiophile tuning where the engineers from headphone companies explain that if all headphones/IEMs were tuned to be neutral and colourless then people would get bored very quickly and easily. Hence, most of the top companies create their own version of neutral to maintain the engagement. I personally like T2+ because it simply reflects my music unadulterated. But can I survive only with such music for 365 days? Heck no, I need to head wobbling chi-fi mosnter to raise my spirits and punish my ears with the super-fun sound :D
I agree. I like the T2+ for its neutral and natural presentation but today I had a blast with my ZS7 and this sounded so exciting!

Dec 16, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #26,707 of 31,845
I agree. I like the T2+ for its neutral and natural presentation but today I had a blast with my ZS7 and this sounded so exciting!

Totally. If I manage to get one which is decently priced then ZS7 and HZ Heart Sound Mirror are two IEMs on my shopping list. I just popped on my Blons and it gives a different kind of joy which a T2+ will never ever give.

Dec 16, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #26,708 of 31,845
Which blon has the best bass

Dec 16, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #26,709 of 31,845
Dec 16, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #26,710 of 31,845
Dec 16, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #26,711 of 31,845
Probably not the best thread for it but since it's already talked about.

Is anyone familiar with the plantronics supra aural plus pads? I bought a pair for my KSC75 and i found that I extended their bass region by 40Hz (and no, I'm not exaggerating) and expanded their soundstage a bit. But I also made them significantly darker as a side effect. I do prefer this signature but I suspect anyone calling themselves audiophile won't.

Edit: I don't have any other Koss with me, but I still suspect the differences in signatures has nothing to do with the drivers but rather the coupling.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #26,712 of 31,845
Ordered a pair of Moondrop SSP's, just for the heck of trying out some IEMs after a while. Last one I owned was the Rock-It R-50, which I quite enjoyed until they broke.
First venture into Chi-fi too, really excited to see (hear) what these budget things sounds like.:beerchug:

Dec 16, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #26,713 of 31,845

I don't own the ZS7 but for an inexpensive yet incredible combination:

AS12 - served with 6BAs.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #26,714 of 31,845
Koss Porta Pro - Flimsy, toy-like construction, treble roll-off, overly muddy, lacking in detail; if I wanted my music to sound like it was being played back on a cassette I would have listened to a cassette.

LOL. I happen to like the PP, but on the KSC75 clips. Comfier, less bass. They sound like a lo fi, crappy Sennheiser with a weird soundstage. But they're also non fatiguing and easy to listen to anything, especially horribly recorded metal from bandcamp. For those reasons, I find them on my ears a lot

Dec 17, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #26,715 of 31,845
Ordered a pair of Moondrop SSP's, just for the heck of trying out some IEMs after a while. Last one I owned was the Rock-It R-50, which I quite enjoyed until they broke.
First venture into Chi-fi too, really excited to see (hear) what these budget things sounds like.:beerchug:

I think you'll be very impressed. Just make sure you have a decent source (a good dongle DAC/AMP like the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro should do fine) and they will really sing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back