CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Nov 16, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #26,446 of 31,833
Just started wearing prescription glasses and wearing IEM over-ear is killing me. Do you guys have any suggestions for IEMs worn straight-down, regardless of sound signature? I currently have my eyes on the Rock Space Obsidian (about $10). Build quality is important for me and I don't have any gripes on non-removable cable.

*Edit* Not Zircon, I was looking at the Obsidians

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #26,447 of 31,833
Just started wearing prescription glasses and wearing IEM over-ear is killing me. Do you guys have any suggestions for IEMs worn straight-down, regardless of sound signature? I currently have my eyes on the Rock Space Zircon (about $10). Build quality is important for me and I don't have any gripes on non-removable cable.
So sound quality doesn't matter?

Nov 16, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #26,449 of 31,833
Just started wearing prescription glasses and wearing IEM over-ear is killing me. Do you guys have any suggestions for IEMs worn straight-down, regardless of sound signature? I currently have my eyes on the Rock Space Zircon (about $10). Build quality is important for me and I don't have any gripes on non-removable cable.

As far as I know, the only thing good that I've read about the Zircon are its tips.

The usual suspects (note: I've not tried these personally, but they are vouched for by the community):

Sony MH755/750 (beware of fakes)
KZ ED9
Smabat NCO
Tin T2 with straight cable

You might also be interested in the CCA CST, which recently launched. I have a pair on the way.

Nov 16, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #26,450 of 31,833

Maybe you should try to remove the earhook part ? I found that on many cables, I can wear them more comfortably with the hook removed.

This guide could help https://www.audioreviews.org/removing-memory-wire/

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #26,451 of 31,833
As far as I know, the only thing good that I've read about the Zircon are its tips.

The usual suspects (note: I've not tried these personally, but they are vouched for by the community):

KZ ED9
Smabat NCO

You might also be interested in the CCA CST, which recently launched. I have a pair on the way.
+1 for MH755/750

Nov 16, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #26,452 of 31,833
KZ ED9
Smabat NCO

Also consider Final Audio E500, E1000, E2000, E3000, depending on your budget and tuning preferences.

I agree with removing the ear hook shrink wrap, and seeing how it fits/feels.

Nov 16, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #26,453 of 31,833

KZ ED9
Smabat NCO

We have a local shop here that sells re-cabled MH750s and I'm just waiting for them to be in stock. I'm also really curious on the CST as they have wood shells (I think?). Waiting for your impressions on them.

Oh, and it wasn't the Zircons I was considering, it's the Obsidians.

Maybe you should try to remove the earhook part ? I found that on many cables, I can wear them more comfortably with the hook removed.
Might try this, though I'm still using the cheap stock cable which may or may not result in a better fit.

Also consider Final Audio E500, E1000, E2000, E3000, depending on your budget and tuning preferences.
Finals are a bit out of budget for this purchase but I've been looking at the E2000 or E3000 for next year's IEM purchase

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #26,454 of 31,833
Sound quality does matter, just that I would be okay with any sound signature (V-shaped, harman curve, bright-neutral, etc.)

You can wear Blon BL03 down. You just need a straight 2-pin cable

Nov 16, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #26,456 of 31,833
You can wear Blon BL03 down. You just need a straight 2-pin cable

Yes I use the BLON BL-03 and urbanfun cable down, just swap the left and right earpiece. Ironically, I find the BL-03 fits better in a cable down position for myself, never could get a good seal with the usual over ear method for the BL-03.

Nov 17, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #26,457 of 31,833
Just started wearing prescription glasses and wearing IEM over-ear is killing me. Do you guys have any suggestions for IEMs worn straight-down, regardless of sound signature? I currently have my eyes on the Rock Space Obsidian (about $10). Build quality is important for me and I don't have any gripes on non-removable cable.

*Edit* Not Zircon, I was looking at the Obsidians
There's a certain DD+Piezo+BA hybrid set, that could fit your bill. Great build, more than decent sound, detachable MMCX cable.
It's full name can't be mentioned here, however.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #26,458 of 31,833
There's a certain DD+Piezo+BA hybrid set, that could fit your bill. It's full name can't be mentioned here, however.
Was also interested in that, but drivability is a huge factor for me.

Nov 17, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #26,459 of 31,833
Was also interested in that, but drivability is a huge factor for me.
Yeah, you'd probably need a dongle like Sonata HD Pro or Xduoo Link to run it from, say, a smartphone.

Nov 17, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #26,460 of 31,833
Sound quality does matter, just that I would be okay with any sound signature (V-shaped, harman curve, bright-neutral, etc.)
Add the Intime Sora 2 to your list along with the other recs you got. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back