CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Aug 20, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #25,531 of 31,833
TRN STM is yet another budget hybrid in the $25 range.

I kind of forgot about the release of the STM but was surprised to find a package in the postbox a couple days back. The unique thing about these: the tuning filters that screws on and off the nozzle (and you can even touch the BA driver inside the nozzle - cool! It does open up some modding possibilities if you're so inclined.

Regarding build, I'll say this up-front: I'm not a fan of this design and that's putting it mildly. The backplate finish is cheap and the pattern is tacky. The color scheme itself is gaudy to some extent. Subjective impressions but these design decisions kinda assault my sense of aesthetics.

Regarding sound quality: the golden nozzle is too bright for me, cymbals just pierce through the eardrums. The blue filter sounded less aggressive and with that this is something I can listen to without wincing every other second. The bass is neither overpowering nor anemic, there's some decent sub-bass rumble though a lot of the "air" from the dynamic driver is blocked by that BA in the nozzle...

The midrange is moderately shouty, probably won't bother you much unless you're sensitive in that region. I did change the tips to Final E-type so there's that. The treble is fairly detailed but has a sharp attack even with the blue filter. It's not sibilant per se but the aggressiveness can get fatiguing over time. Finally, I tried the Red filter and this one is the best of all configs. The midrange shout is further reduced and the treble is slightly blunted. Not bad!

So far, I find them an interesting, but unremarkable option apart from those tuning nozzles. If you're into modding I can see these being a good choice. Another thing: handle the filters with utmost caution. I already lost one of the golden filters (fortunately I don't like the signature with the golden filter).

IMG_8324.JPG
IMG_8331.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #25,532 of 31,833
Well finally completed my collection of TIMKKOO or Estron or E-MI or whatever other brand names they're known as lol.:)

C610, C630 and finally C631 (Cheers Slater).

The C630 I'll only mention briefly as it's an oldie and I'd doubt many would be looking at it now. It's easily the more mature sounding of the three, goes well with a colourful source, something that can power the sub-bass... in fact, it's the first earphone I can happily use with the bass boost on my FIIO A3 without impacting the other frequencies. Has fine balance, very good detail and great vocals again with the right source. Soundwise it's the best of the three hands down. Doesn't have the bloat of the C610 and it's upper mids and treble are far tidier and controlled over the C630 (which still sounds fantastic for its sub £10 price).

The C631 is like a cross between the CNT-1 and Soundmagic e80 if you can work that one out lol. Built like a tank which I wasn't expecting going by the plastic cheap feel of its siblings. It actually reminded me of the DUNU DN 2000 in shape and weight, which funnily enough has the same driver set-up of 2BA + 1DD.

IMG_20200820_181834.jpgIMG_20200820_182036.jpg

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #25,536 of 31,833
These look so cool, they any good?

they sounded quite nice, but i had a bad case of driver flex when i had them. for that price, nowadays there are many other better choices

Aug 24, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #25,537 of 31,833
Looking for a neutral/flat sound signature iem (maybe slight mid and sub bass boost) under $50. Ideally I'd like to stay around $30. My head is spinning with the amount of chifi iems on the market. I remember the Tin T2 being the reference. I'm considering it along with the Blon BL03 and the CCA C12. Anything I'm missing anything? I know most, if not all, of the KZs are out.

My use case is mostly podcasts with the rest being classic rock and jazz.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #25,538 of 31,833
Looking for a neutral/flat sound signature iem (maybe slight mid and sub bass boost) under $50. Ideally I'd like to stay around $30. My head is spinning with the amount of chifi iems on the market. I remember the Tin T2 being the reference. I'm considering it along with the Blon BL03 and the CCA C12. Anything I'm missing anything? I know most, if not all, of the KZs are out.

My use case is mostly podcasts with the rest being classic rock and jazz.

Thank you.
You could try the CVJ CSA ($17 on AE). It has good sub-bass, is generally neutral in the mids and has a fatigue-free treble.

Aug 24, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #25,539 of 31,833
You could try the CVJ CSA ($17 on AE). It has good sub-bass, is generally neutral in the mids and has a fatigue-free treble.

Thank you. I found your review of them. Seems exactly like what I'm after.

Aug 24, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #25,540 of 31,833
So I've been reading up more on the CVJ CSA. Apparently there is 3 different batches with 3 different sound signatures on the market.

Aug 24, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #25,541 of 31,833
So I've been reading up more on the CVJ CSA. Apparently there is 3 different batches with 3 different sound signatures on the market.
When I saw your post I thought the CSA as I heard it would suit but didn't know about the different signatures.

Aug 24, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #25,542 of 31,833
Look up Aftershockz. Worn almost like a headband. Although not as much clarity as headphones, IEMs and earbuds. They may be good enough.
I bought a pair just to try them out. I beleive they are the Titanium model. I was pleasantly surprised by the technology, but I would not call them high fidelity. The most use for me comes from the fact that you can use them while wearing ear plugs. Since I am a woodworker, this is a benefit that makes the purchase worth it. They are very easy to get on and off, but do sit tightly on the jaw bone and give a slight tingle at times. Definitely not for everyone and I would never trust them to survive workouts with lots of sweat.

Aug 24, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #25,543 of 31,833
I bought a pair just to try them out. I beleive they are the Titanium model. I was pleasantly surprised by the technology, but I would not call them high fidelity. The most use for me comes from the fact that you can use them while wearing ear plugs. Since I am a woodworker, this is a benefit that makes the purchase worth it. They are very easy to get on and off, but do sit tightly on the jaw bone and give a slight tingle at times. Definitely not for everyone and I would never trust them to survive workouts with lots of sweat.

My sister has the titaniums and likes them.

A friend of mine has the air model, he is a mechanic and the see daily use during the week and in 100-110 degree weather with no issues.

He tried the titaniums but they fit tighter and less ergonomically for him than the air.

His co-worker bought the newest version after trying his air which has a proprietary charging wire which he didn't like, in case something happened to it.

Just checked their website and they have a waterproof model with onboard storage for swimming. Pretty neat since Bluetooth does not work through water, so has no BT capability.

Aug 24, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #25,544 of 31,833
I have the Aeropex model. They are fantastic for situations where you need to be aware of your environment.

I use them for trail and road riding. I can listen to tunes and still hear people coming from behind. On really busy roads, almost all music is drowned out, but that's good so I can be conscious of traffic.

They are definitely not hifi. Mids and highs are suprising decent. Bass is very light to non existant...such are bone conducting headphones to date.

Aug 24, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #25,545 of 31,833
IP 68 rating on the waterproof model XTrainerZ means it's good for 1M depth. Without BT, you can seal things out much easier and better. I don't know anyone offering such a device.

My experience with "sweatproof" has not been good. My Jaybirds lasted 2 weeks and my Shure's lasted 3 days. The trouble is that the ions in sweat (Na+ & Cl-) form galvanic cells and short out the bits and pieces of the BT technology and battery. The trick is to always wipe down the device after use and even then some residue is left behind.

I sweat too much so I've gone back to wired IEM's for workouts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back