CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 29, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #22,967 of 31,833
Starfield does have a lot of basses, but not in the basshead level. It's still in the pretty tight side, just that, compared to other IEMs by Moondrop, they sure sound a tad warmer. I have compared it to my true bass-heavy iem such as the TFZ T2 & TFZ No. 3, Starfield is far more tone down & you'll not find any muddiness on the mids. Mid is still forwarded & treble is not fatiguing too

For v90 & Blon, you are right that they have much more bass than Starfield so I don't think it will suit you if you are looking for neutral sounding iem.

Thanks for the input. This puts me even closer to pulling the trigger on the Starfields. I will probably end up ordering them in the next few days unless I come across something else.

Jan 29, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #22,968 of 31,833
On the other end, also received Kinera Tyr today and I must say that I am pleasantly surprised. I didn't have much hopes about this one (having heard a few unimpressive Kinera IEMs before) but this one is tuned a lot better.

Firstly, they come with Final E-type tips, which usually retail for half the price of the IEMs themselves. Secondly, the design is also nice and fit is comfortable.

In terms of sound, they have the usual mid-bass bump but nothing extreme, rather on the level of BL-03s I'd say. The sub-bass doesn't have the rumble but it's passable. The mid-range is rather well tuned with no apparent tonality issues. Timbre is a bit on the bright side compared to BLONs but not unnatural for the most part. The treble response is smooth, though I felt a hint of lower-treble splashiness, something I have to check across more tracks.

By biggest gripe so far is the fixed cable (which also looks poor and tangles easily). Other than that - nothing is wrong here, really.

I also got the Tyr recently and measured them:
Tyr.jpg

Jan 29, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #22,969 of 31,833
I also got the Tyr recently and measured them:
Looks nice and seems close to what I hear. No disturbing peaks around 6-8KHz, smooth lower to upper mid transition, no egregious bass hump. Good tuning I must say.

Jan 29, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #22,971 of 31,833
I'm looking for recommendations on a sub $100 IEM. My requirements are a neutral profile and also a 2 pin connector (not MMCX). My main pair of headphones that I have been using for years is the Senheiser HD598 and would like a similarish sound profile. I very much dislike headphones with emphasized bass. I tried a pair of Tin T2s and I really liked the sound profile of them, but after returning 2 pairs due to shotty MMCX connections I am completely turned off to any headphone with MMCX. It just seems like a flawed design to me no matter how well it is made.

So basically I am looking for a similar sound to the Tin T2, but with a 2 pin connection. Right now I have my eyes on the Moondrop Starfield, which is the upper end of my price range but I'm willing to stretch a bit. The Moondrops look like they may be more bass heavy than I'm used to, but they are getting great reviews, and I love the look of them, so I am intrigued. I've looked into the TRN V90 and the Blon BL-03 and I believe those look even more bass heavy than the Moondrop starfield, so I don't think I should consider them.

Any ideas?

You can check BQEYZ KB100 it has neutralish signature and is in your budget+2pins. And if you can stretch your budget by $15-20 then you should check VSonic VS7 as well. Signature is similar to GR07 but has very good build quality with detachable cable.

Jan 29, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #22,972 of 31,833
You can check BQEYZ KB100 it has neutralish signature and is in your budget+2pins. And if you can stretch your budget by $15-20 then you should check VSonic VS7 as well. Signature is similar to GR07 but has very good build quality with detachable cable.

$15-$20 more?

KB100 is like $40-$50, and VS7 is $150-$200 depending on if you get the version with plastic or metal body.

Jan 29, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #22,973 of 31,833
$15-$20 more?

KB100 is like $40-$50, and VS7 is $150-$200 depending on if you get the version with plastic or metal body.

What I meant is $15-20 over his budget of $100. Usually the resin version retails around US$120 (SGD 165) on Lend Me Ur Ears.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #22,975 of 31,833
I own the Blon 03 and love the sound signature. I don't own and have never heard the ****. Should I buy the SFR **** pro?

I love the **** Pro, but if you want a better BLON-03, I would highly recommend the Urbanfun YBF-ISS014 instead. They're a hidden gem that more people need to get their hands on.

Jan 29, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #22,977 of 31,833
I'm surprised the Samsung AKG earbuds that come with the Galaxy phones don't get more traction around here. I own way too many flavor of the month under $100 IEMs and the Samsung earbuds are still my go to for many things.

They aren’t that popular because there are sooooooo many counterfeits out there. Short of getting one with a Samsung phone, pretty much all of the ones you see for sale by themselves are as fake as a $3 bill.

Jan 29, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #22,978 of 31,833
I'm looking for recommendations on a sub $100 IEM. My requirements are a neutral profile and also a 2 pin connector (not MMCX). My main pair of headphones that I have been using for years is the Senheiser HD598 and would like a similarish sound profile. I very much dislike headphones with emphasized bass. I tried a pair of Tin T2s and I really liked the sound profile of them, but after returning 2 pairs due to shotty MMCX connections I am completely turned off to any headphone with MMCX. It just seems like a flawed design to me no matter how well it is made.

So basically I am looking for a similar sound to the Tin T2, but with a 2 pin connection. Right now I have my eyes on the Moondrop Starfield, which is the upper end of my price range but I'm willing to stretch a bit. The Moondrops look like they may be more bass heavy than I'm used to, but they are getting great reviews, and I love the look of them, so I am intrigued. I've looked into the TRN V90 and the Blon BL-03 and I believe those look even more bass heavy than the Moondrop starfield, so I don't think I should consider them.

Any ideas?

I have nothing else to compare them to but the Shozy 1.1 sound great for punchy drums but not too bloated bass, I’m loving them for hair metal, power metal and some speed metal. Likes of DragonForce and Manowar sounds great.

Jan 29, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #22,979 of 31,833
I'm surprised the Samsung AKG earbuds that come with the Galaxy phones don't get more traction around here. I own way too many flavor of the month under $100 IEMs and the Samsung earbuds are still my go to for many things.
I have tried them for a while and found them too thin sounding. The fit was also not the best for me, and I found the sub-bass to be non-existent (might be a fit issue, but I did get proper seal I'd say, it's just that they won't stay in my ears for long). I think there are other, more balanced sounding IEMs under $30 range or so. Moreover, there are numerous fakes of them around, so it's best to just get something else.

I do agree that they're a pretty good pair of earphones to be coming for free with your phone, definitely better than Airpods. The LG earphones that are supplied with G/V series phones are also quite good.

Jan 30, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #22,980 of 31,833
So, I reviewed the Jade Audio (Fiio) EA3. In short: not recommended, and not impressed. While the sub-bass response is good and the soundstage is great, rest of it just doesn't cut it anymore. Same old BA timbre issues, and add to that thin lower mids/shouty upper mids/grating treble - it's a pass for me. Full review: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/review/23222/
IMG_5223.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back