CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 4, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #22,426 of 31,833
Can anyone help me find a replacement for Monk Lites?

Love them for sleeping (side sleeper) and love the old 3 button mic. The newest ones I bought as replacement still have the volume controls on-line, but don't work with Android (iOS only).

What else is out there with decent sound, a small shell, and an Android compatible 3 button control?

Thanks!

Jan 4, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #22,427 of 31,833
I'm not sure that ANC prevents the vibration of the hair cells in the inner ear. My suspicion is that the hair cells are vibrated just as much or different cells are vibrated and the cancellation effect occurs in the brain. Please point me to a reputable scientific/medical source if I am wrong.

Auditory hair cells are specialized for specific frequencies depending on their location in your ear. It is impossible for them to be stimulated and for the brain to not perceive sound, as long as the brain is functioning normally. Any basic medical or scientific text on the subject covers this (high school science textbooks and up).

Jan 4, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #22,428 of 31,833
I'm not sure that ANC prevents the vibration of the hair cells in the inner ear. My suspicion is that the hair cells are vibrated just as much or different cells are vibrated and the cancellation effect occurs in the brain. Please point me to a reputable scientific/medical source if I am wrong. If I am wrong, then I hope this tech will continue to improve and trickle down to more brands and models to the point where I am interested to try it.

At any rate, I have read that Sony and Bose have the best ANC technology currently. For pure audio quality reasons I would Sony before Bose.

My car supposedly has full time ANC to combat road noise and make the cabin quieter. I'm not sure it really does all that much, and I've no idea who makes the ANC technology used by Ford, but the only way to turn it off is to remove a little 10 amp fuse. But anyway, I digress..

Noise Cancellation comes in two forms, passive and active. Most 'systems' use both. Passive is things like insulation to dampen noise. Active works via phase cancellation.

You can literally see it work with speakers. Flip the phase of a duplicated track and play both. The speaker literally stops moving. The brain doesn't need to be involved. It never gets the vibrations. They've been cancelled out.

Jan 4, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #22,429 of 31,833
I have always been tempted to try that especially with earbuds that don't have any isolation. The XM2's I have already kill about 90% of the outside noise already. They are so good its ridiculous. Hard to imagine that the XM3 are that much better, but apparently they are.

You tried this? You sure it wont turn our brains to applesauce? :)

i already past trying phase, now i do it often :beyersmile:

the thing is as much as i like the WH XM3's ANC capability, i don't like the sound too much for listening to music (i stiil like it for movies and gaming).
i can EQ it of course, but i much prefer the sound characteristics of IEMs compared to full headphones anyway. so i usually use the XM3 with no sound at all.. i use it only to have a quiet time.

that's why i often just use my favorite IEMs or TWS and layer it with the XM3.

for outdoor usage, i use the WF XM3, which i much prefer sound-wise compared to the WH XM3

Jan 4, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #22,430 of 31,833
@MonoJon Will accept your words of wisdom ( I do not go to concerts or anywhere loud ( except maybe cinema one time every 2 years or so))

Jan 4, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #22,431 of 31,833
Responding because I love the BA5s and EDM.

I would recommend them for those times when you don’t want to listen to EDM :wink:

I concur, texture is airy, not dense - you won’t feel the sub bass in the conventional sense. BA5s are definitely mid/upper bass centric, all the emphasis is on the melodic end of the bass lines. Which is awesome.

BA5s have the most extended mid range of all my ‘phones, perfectly tweaked to avoid shoutyness and stabbing (I’m hyper sensitive to upper mids as well).
They are fantastic for all the genres you’ve mentioned, and your post has reminded me again that it’s been way too long since I listened to any reggae...or dub (weirdly, I woke up this morning actually thinking about one of my favourite records from my youth that I haven’t heard in forever - War of Words by Singers & Players http://www.deezer.com/album/10547787 ). Sorry, my mind is wandering!

Have a blessed weekend all, with a great soundtrack :)

thanks for the reply and the nice information.
I guess I’ll just have to pass on the BA5s. Unfortunately.
The reason I keep asking about them is..... I read many people saying very nice things about them.
So I guess I’m just hoping that they’ll be good for EDM. And bass heavy music.
Wishful thinking i guess.
Thanks again :)

Jan 4, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #22,432 of 31,833
The moon landings happened, there has always been lots of evidence, and it is very sad that the internet does such a good job of amplifying wrong ideas and bad information (flat earth, pseudoscience, fake cures, sexism, racism). Well curated and properly weighted/valued information systems don’t create these problems. If you’re interested in real conspiracies.
The moon landings probably did happen, we just don't know which way they happened. An astronaut himself said NASA doesnt have the technology to get through the van allen radiation belt. Of course, I'm talking about a public NASA. Not a secret space program.

Other astronauts have said unusual things too. One NASA employee said they saw some 7 foot alien helping an astronaut during a space flight. Another said when they sent a rover to Mars and saw that it looked like Earth they turned the monitors down to look like the Mars we know today. Who knows what's real and what's not?

We do have a NASA employee on Headfi but he has probably sworn to not talk about his job.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #22,433 of 31,833
I guess I’ll just have to pass on the BA5s. Unfortunately.
The reason I keep asking about them is..... I read many people saying very nice things about them.
So I guess I’m just hoping that they’ll be good for EDM. And bass heavy music.
Wishful thinking i guess.
I just heard in a video yesterday the BA5 have a slight imaging problem. I'm not sure what that means but it sounds KZ-ish. :frowning2: A lot of people still seem to love them so maybe slight isnt a big deal.

Jan 4, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #22,434 of 31,833
I just heard in a video yesterday the BA5 have a slight imaging problem. I'm not sure what that means but it sounds KZ-ish. :frowning2: A lot of people still seem to love them so maybe slight isnt a big deal.
That's interesting, I consider the imaging to be one of the strengths of the BA5, especially through my Xduoo X20 via balanced out.

Jan 4, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #22,435 of 31,833
The moon landings probably did happen, we just don't know which way they happened. An astronaut himself said NASA doesnt have the technology to get through the van allen radiation belt. Of course, I'm talking about a public NASA. Not a secret space program.

Other astronauts have said unusual things too. One NASA employee said they saw some 7 foot alien helping an astronaut during a space flight. Another said when they sent a rover to Mars and saw that it looked like Earth they turned the monitors down to look like the Mars we know today. Who knows what's real and what's not?

We do have a NASA employee on Headfi but he has probably sworn to not talk about his job.

I work at NASA, but have only been here 16 years - working in the labs where the ISS software is tested.

At the time of the Apollo 11 Moon landing in 1969, I was 8 years old, and we watched it on a "portable" TV (Sears B/W tube model, with handle, but NOT battery powered) at a cabin on a lake in Idaho.

Jan 4, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #22,436 of 31,833

To watch too many videos or read too many reviews or opinions only confuses things. Better to read people's posts or watch people's videos about gear that you own. Find the ones you agree with, and use their opinions to guide purchases. There is no such thing as the perfect IEM. Every single one will have somebody who doesn't like it.

Jan 4, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #22,437 of 31,833
Try "Man Free" by Linton Kwesi Johnson from the "Dread Beat and Blood" album. Sly Dunbar's drumming is awesome on the BA5!
Listening to it now (finally :grinning: ). This really takes me back...scintillating stuff, the BA5 loves it!
Picked up Forces of Victory as well, and some Lee Perry.

Great rec. Thank you.

Jan 4, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #22,439 of 31,833
Ok. Time to get back on topic. Its partially my fault. :wink:

I wish people would put their iems in their signature in order of their favourites.
Back to IEMs, have not you heard the recent breakthrough news of CCA C10 becoming the hottest IEM :L3000:(finishing with a prominent "+" distinction in a prestigious list ahead of many others worthy contenders)? That will most likely further strengthen the ever growing CCA/KZ popularity :)

Jan 4, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #22,440 of 31,833
Ok. Time to get back on topic. Its partially my fault. :wink:

I wish people would put their iems in their signature in order of their favourites.

I wish everyone would put all their gear on their profile page as we are instructed to do when we join.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back