CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 29, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #22,217 of 31,833
When I use my PC to burn-in IEMs (or headphones or buds) overnight, I just queue up a bunch of albums of various types into Foobar2000 and then let it play at normal listening volume for hours or days. I always listen first to a couple of different types of songs to make sure the volume is at a safe level.

Arrived Friday and currently burning in... but do they need it? I have no idea... they sounded awesome out of the box. But I burn-in.... just in case....

LZ- Z05A

How do they compare to other IEM's?
I'm very interested in the Z05A, what are its pros and cons?

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #22,218 of 31,833
it settled then.. I'll be waiting for the next A6 discount :k701smile:

The A6 mini is already discounted (remember that the original price was 180$). If you have the patience until getting a valid coupon, you can get them as low as 58€/65$. I highly doubt you can get a better price on the next Ali sale.

Dec 29, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #22,219 of 31,833
The A6 mini is already discounted (remember that the original price was 180$). If you have the patience until getting a valid coupon, you can get them as low as 58€/65$. I highly doubt you can get a better price on the next Ali sale.

not the mini, i want to jump in on the bigger A6 :ksc75smile:

Dec 29, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #22,220 of 31,833
Tempted again to purchase A6 Mini after reading @DynamicEars 's post but now I have made my mind that once I get starfield I may just venture to higher budget IEM such as the moondrop blessing 2 or the vanilla A6 to stop myself from buying more iem :fingers_crossed:

Dec 29, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #22,222 of 31,833
How do they compare to other IEM's?
I'm very interested in the Z05A, what are its pros and cons?

For me Z05A are bass light. Very minimally boosted in the mid bass with extreme roll off in the sub bass. That said the bass is fast enough and I don't really hear any bleed. Everything is dry sounding to me. Bass is dry, mids are dry. Mids are a bit forward giving a nice sense of balance. Male vocals not great. Female vocals really good. Treble is smooth and clear. Stage is decent. Separation is good. Over all a good sounding IEM. I was enjoying them with metal, punk, rock stuff and Jpop. Couldn't really get into them with hip hop, reggae, dancehall, modern pop, EDM ect. Overall I think the Z04A is a much better sounding IEM. It carries the same signature(2k, 4k 10k) but has much more boosted mid bass and much deeper extended sub bass. Z04A is kind of a poor mans Semkarch IMO. While definitely a V shaped IEM both male and female vocals sound good and being someone who enjoys bass impact I find the Z04A more enjoyable for all genres. They are both extremely comfortable and lightweight and both seem to be built very nicely. The Z05A is tougher to drive then the Z04A, but they both are easy enough to drive with a phone. The mic controls are nice and work on Android phones. Cables are nice, measure around 0.500.

Dec 29, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #22,223 of 31,833
Tempted again to purchase A6 Mini after reading @DynamicEars 's post but now I have made my mind that once I get starfield I may just venture to higher budget IEM such as the moondrop blessing 2 or the vanilla A6 to stop myself from buying more iem :fingers_crossed:

there is no such a thing. period.

Dec 29, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #22,225 of 31,833
So what's the consensus with 2pin or MMCX on the A6 mini, one person had issues with the 2 pin iirc which was surprising. Typically the issues are with mmcx

I forgot who, but our friend's 2pin A6 mini got accidentally sat downed, so it was an accident, not naturally problem with his 2 pins

Dec 29, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #22,227 of 31,833
For me Z05A are bass light. Very minimally boosted in the mid bass with extreme roll off in the sub bass. That said the bass is fast enough and I don't really hear any bleed. Everything is dry sounding to me. Bass is dry, mids are dry. Mids are a bit forward giving a nice sense of balance. Male vocals not great. Female vocals really good. Treble is smooth and clear. Stage is decent. Separation is good. Over all a good sounding IEM. I was enjoying them with metal, punk, rock stuff and Jpop. Couldn't really get into them with hip hop, reggae, dancehall, modern pop, EDM ect. Overall I think the Z04A is a much better sounding IEM. It carries the same signature(2k, 4k 10k) but has much more boosted mid bass and much deeper extended sub bass. Z04A is kind of a poor mans Semkarch IMO. While definitely a V shaped IEM both male and female vocals sound good and being someone who enjoys bass impact I find the Z04A more enjoyable for all genres. They are both extremely comfortable and lightweight and both seem to be built very nicely. The Z05A is tougher to drive then the Z04A, but they both are easy enough to drive with a phone. The mic controls are nice and work on Android phones. Cables are nice, measure around 0.500.
Thanks for giving a detailed answer. Would you put the Z04A in the competition with other sub 50 usd IEM's? For example: V90, C12/C16, BL03...

Dec 29, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #22,228 of 31,833
Thanks for giving a detailed answer. Would you put the Z04A in the competition with other sub 50 usd IEM's? For example: V90, C12/C16, BL03...

Would consider them side grades. I prefer the Blon sound to either of them, but prefer the build, fit and comfort of the LZ's. I also prefer the cables too. People that don't like or need boosted bass will like the LZ05A's. Those that like bass will probably be left unsatisfied.

Dec 29, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #22,229 of 31,833

Yeah agree with @DynamicEars that there's no such term "endgame" in this thread hahaha.

I'm also starting to see the light to move up the ladder and buy one set of higher quality rather than getting multiple $50ish USD sidegrades. I've said this before, but I've mostly stopped buying multi BAs/hybrids after I bought my Audiosense T800 6 months ago. I can see there's merit in tasting different sound signatures for cheap now that the CHIFI gods have given us great price for performance ratio these 2 years so it's very easy to impulse buy multiple $30 - 50 USD CHIFI that have good reviews and are cheap. But the costs does add up after a while to that of a midfi set if you bought 3 or 4 of them cheaper ones.

But definitely, there's huge diminishing returns beyond the very good $50 USD CHIFI segment. If I could subjectively rate the jump from budget segment (eg KZ ZS10 Pro) to midfi segment (Audiosense T800/Westone W30) to TOTL segment (QDC Anole VX [auditioned but couldn't afford the purchase]), each segment jump is about 10 - 30% difference in technicalities, though the TOTL segment has more refined tuning with lesser harsh peaks/troughs. The pricing is about 10 times difference each segment you go up (budget -> midfi -> TOTL), but the difference in sound quality is definitely not 10 times the money we paid for. But unfortunately, once you have heard something, there's no way to unhear it and drop down a segment, at least for me haha.

I have some audiophile friends who will stop at no costs to pursue the last 10% in sound quality for thousands of dollars more, though how much we wanna spend is subjective. So the best advise is to just set a budget for yourself into how far you wanna go down this rabbithole and keep to it. There's always gonna be a next better set or hypetrain coming out and the FOMO is strong, but too bad our wallet funds are not unlimited.

Oh, my bad. Who knows, some LZ models get great discounts after some time (A6 mini, Z05A), but I think others (A4, A5, AFAIK) no. A6 now is at 249$ In Penon and NiceHCK, and 236 in EE Audio. Do you think we'll see it below 150$?

I've had the LZ A6 on my wishlist for a long time, the lowest I've seen it go before AE coupons is ~ $235 - 238 USD, not low enough for me to push the trigger. I suspect it will drop in price as the months go by, as per other audio gear, and as newer models with better tech come out.

Their previous well regarded model, the Semkarch SKC CNT1, was previously $95ish USD, but a year or so later, once they were clearing stock, they sold it as low as ~$30 USD. So be patient and I'm certain prices will fall eventually, maybe $150 is possible even for the A6.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #22,230 of 31,833
Yeah agree with @DynamicEars that there's no such term "endgame" in this thread hahaha.

I'm also starting to see the light to move up the ladder and buy one set of higher quality rather than getting multiple $50ish USD sidegrades. I've said this before, but I've mostly stopped buying multi BAs/hybrids after I bought my Audiosense T800 6 months ago. I can see there's merit in tasting different sound signatures for cheap now that the CHIFI gods have given us great price for performance ratio these 2 years so it's very easy to impulse buy multiple $30 - 50 USD CHIFI that have good reviews and are cheap. But the costs does add up after a while to that of a midfi set if you bought 3 or 4 of them cheaper ones.

But definitely, there's huge diminishing returns beyond the very good $50 USD CHIFI segment. If I could subjectively rate the jump from budget segment (eg KZ ZS10 Pro) to midfi segment (Audiosense T800/Westone W30) to TOTL segment (QDC Anole VX [auditioned but couldn't afford the purchase]), each segment jump is about 10 - 30% difference in technicalities, though the TOTL segment has more refined tuning with lesser harsh peaks/troughs. The pricing is about 10 times difference each segment you go up (budget -> midfi -> TOTL), but the difference in sound quality is definitely not 10 times the money we paid for. But unfortunately, once you have heard something, there's no way to unhear it and drop down a segment, at least for me haha.

I have some audiophile friends who will stop at no costs to pursue the last 10% in sound quality for thousands of dollars more, though how much we wanna spend is subjective. So the best advise is to just set a budget for yourself into how far you wanna go down this rabbithole and keep to it. There's always gonna be a next better set or hypetrain coming out and the FOMO is strong, but too bad our wallet funds are not unlimited.

I've had the LZ A6 on my wishlist for a long time, the lowest I've seen it go before AE coupons is ~ $235 - 238 USD, not low enough for me to push the trigger. I suspect it will drop in price as the months go by, as per other audio gear, and as newer models with better tech come out.

Their previous well regarded model, the Semkarch SKC CNT1, was previously $95ish USD, but a year or so later, once they were clearing stock, they sold it as low as ~$30 USD. So be patient and I'm certain prices will fall eventually, maybe $150 is possible even for the A6.
Yeah, it's pretty impossible to harsly quit at this point with the fast development of Chi-fi except I get caught by my parents, most importantly, my mom. But as I had replied at the later time, I wouldn't suddenly stop this chi fi game after buying an $500 pair of IEM, but at the least it will lessen my purchase in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back