CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 12, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #1,936 of 31,833
First of all thank you to all who suggested small IEMs, although some of them seem a bit inappropriate for what I'm looking for I thank you all for your input.

I'd like to ask about some impressions about the AK Light and the Trinity Hyperion as reviews/opinions on those seem to be rather limited.

If possible could to provide a comparison between them and, for example, the KZ lineup of earphones or some other headphone/earphone I have in my inventory? I'd like to know what they sound like before making a blind purchase.

Jan 12, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #1,937 of 31,833
What a small and sleek earphone this is. It would fit beautifully under a helmet. 
rolleyes.gif
 *whistles*

​

​

Jan 12, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #1,938 of 31,833
Jan 12, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #1,940 of 31,833
I would also like to add a +1 for the AK light, when I ordered it I thought it would be a bass heavy IEM but to my surprise they sound very pleasant.They are pretty balanced maybe slightly v-shaped, what I like most about them is that the highs aren't harsh and they fit very comfortably despite the huge nozzle. 

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #1,941 of 31,833
I don't know if im posting this in the correct thread, i ordered these i-buffalo BA earphones from amazon came from Japan, they cost me £15 , i was curious in trying them when i saw the price, i dont know if they are going to be rubbish or a cheap gem, anyone heard of the company or tried them? Can't find any detailed reviews on them just from google i see they where released few years ago in japan, they came this morning i cant wait to try them when i get home from work. Cable is pretty short chest level according to the details on the box but i wouldnt mind that if the sound is half decent.

I managed to listen to these faily cheap balanced armature earphones I bought from Amazon, in the package there was only tips no other accessories, included tips are decent quality even though i used the largest tips from my KZ Zst they made the fit even better, these earphones are so comfortable to wear i love the way they fit & go in the ear, i find my left side is a problem with most iems but with these due to the way they insert in your ear they get okay isolation.
They are made of plastic build is fine not the best not the worst plastic is shiny in top & bottom half has some rough texture, wire is thin but has some hard PVC rubber feeling to it. Now to the sound which i am still testing, i left some music playing on them overnight but in the morning i was excited to try them so i took them with me instead of my kz zst's, they are loud on most my devices i have to turn the volume down few touches less then i usually do,i love the mids & the highs on these so crisp sharp not too sparkly, scratchy or shrill sounding male & female vocals sound sublime, i can hear instruments clearly in my songs that dont sound quite right with others iems i have even though they excell in other areas,, the lows are not the highlight of these the subbass is shallow & bass controlled no rumble or shock but subtle pulsations carried around the nice live vocals but it depends on output source i used e.g with my onn x6 player the bass is alot more prominent but the highs & mids still shine & stand out effortlessly, i cant articulate & put it in to words how these sound how others can but i say these are my favourite sounding iems currently from the cheap buds no doubt, they are balanced/bright sounding with good channel separation & nice imaging & thats coming from someone who loves a warm bassy sound signature, i cant say much as im still listening to them but i can say i prefer them over my urban ears & kz zsts, Great for the price i love how comfortable they & the sounds a bonus, too bad the cable is short. 
i probably left alot out but my first few days impressions of these are very positive.

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #1,942 of 31,833
  First of all thank you to all who suggested small IEMs, although some of them seem a bit inappropriate for what I'm looking for I thank you all for your input.

I'd like to ask about some impressions about the AK Light and the Trinity Hyperion as reviews/opinions on those seem to be rather limited.

If possible could to provide a comparison between them and, for example, the KZ lineup of earphones or some other headphone/earphone I have in my inventory? I'd like to know what they sound like before making a blind purchase.

If you can accept it I can compare the Light to the Tennmak Pro bassport modded.......

Jan 13, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #1,943 of 31,833
  I would also like to add a +1 for the AK light, when I ordered it I thought it would be a bass heavy IEM but to my surprise they sound very pleasant.They are pretty balanced maybe slightly v-shaped, what I like most about them is that the highs aren't harsh and they fit very comfortably despite the huge nozzle. 

I may not be looking in the right places, but I haven't found it very easy to locate eartips that will fit the larger nozzles, like on the AK Light.
But, these seem to work well - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-Pairs-S-M-L-High-Quality-Silicone-Eartips-for-Inner-ear-Earphones/32670205604.html - they haven't pulled off in my ears.
I'd really like to find a long Triple-Flange eartip for them, so maybe they'll stay in my ears all night while I'm sleeping... 
wink_face.gif

Take Care,
David Baldock

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #1,944 of 31,833
I've got a request from a co-worker -  He uses an iPhone, and prefers earbuds, due to them being more comfortable to wear.
Over the last couple of months, he's listened to the few earbuds that I've purchased, most of which I gave to my Dad, to use with his DAP and Android phone.
Today, he heard my new MusicMaker TKY2 earbuds, and liked the sound - but they don't have iPhone controls, and he doesn't want to pay $90.

So, for my co-worker - What would y'all recommend as the best under-$50 earbud (that has good strong Bass), with iPhone call and music controls?

Thanks,
David Baldock

Jan 14, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #1,945 of 31,833
I may not be looking in the right places, but I haven't found it very easy to locate eartips that will fit the larger nozzles, like on the AK Light.
But, these seem to work well - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-Pairs-S-M-L-High-Quality-Silicone-Eartips-for-Inner-ear-Earphones/32670205604.html - they haven't pulled off in my ears.
I'd really like to find a long Triple-Flange eartip for them, so maybe they'll stay in my ears all night while I'm sleeping...  :wink_face:

Take Care,
David Baldock

These kinds of double flanges work very well for me so might be worth a shot.

For earbuds you can also check here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/441400/earbuds-round-up

Jan 14, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #1,946 of 31,833
Thanks for this amazing thread.  I havent been able to go through the 130 pages (!!!!), but was there somewhere within, a place where people voted/ranked the headphones?

I'm not a bass-head, but looking for wide balanced soundstage, since I use an equalizer anyhow, and listen to wide variety of music (britpop, synthpop, industrial, classic country, classical).

Currently use the Audio Technica ATH-M40X, but want a pair of a) bluetooth over-ear and b) earbuds.    Something my little kids might end up breaking one day. :)

Jan 14, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #1,947 of 31,833
Thanks for this amazing thread.  I havent been able to go through the 130 pages (!!!!), but was there somewhere within, a place where people voted/ranked the headphones?

I'm not a bass-head, but looking for wide balanced soundstage, since I use an equalizer anyhow, and listen to wide variety of music (britpop, synthpop, industrial, classic country, classical).

Currently use the Audio Technica ATH-M40X, but want a pair of a) bluetooth over-ear and b) earbuds.    Something my little kids might end up breaking one day. :)

You may get more help with earbuds from the link I posted in the post over yours.

For full sized headphones you could also ask here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/822184/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-on-or-over-ear-headphones/450#post_13172744

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #1,948 of 31,833
These kinds of double flanges work very well for me so might be worth a shot.

For earbuds you can also check here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/441400/earbuds-round-up

Thanks for the reply.
It looks like that double-flange eartip is about the same length as the nozzle.  
Due to the diameter of the nozzle, it won't insert very deeply in my ear, so I'm looking for some triple-flange eartips that are longer than the nozzles.

Thanks,
David Baldock

Jan 14, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #1,949 of 31,833

If you want ear buds, start with the VE Monk+ then decide if you need anything more.

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #1,950 of 31,833
So today I received the Vivo XE800 and while these are very very short-lived impressions I'm quite impressed.

I started off with Nujabes' "the space between two worlds" track and the snare is very lively without being aggressive and the sounds are layered very nicely. What's most impressive about them however is the sub-bass. It gives certain songs a very "studio" feel to them. There seems to be a drop somewhere in the high frequencies that makes cymbals less audible on some tracks but honestly of most tracks I've tried so far I've yet to find one or any genre that felt inadequate. They have some tough competition from some of my other earphones, particularly some from KZ's line like the ATE or ZST, but I would say that right now these are in the same vicinity as those in terms of sound quality, though they are closer in characteristics to the ZST.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back