CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 17, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #17,957 of 31,834
Thanks for the quick reply. I am a musician and producer playing drums (i need great isolation both on stage and in the studio when choosing microphones). Been using Shure se315, but got really tired of them eventually.

Now I have as10 which are alright but gives me earfatigue over long sessions. Have also bought the NICEHCK DIY846 and they are incredibly bass heavy so that was a expensive mistake.. And if the x6 are more linear and still isolates well (or even better because of the shape in the other ear?) that might be the right step up from the as10 in my case. What do you think?

Will the x8 be even more studio reference worthy?

Thanks again. Your posts are really appreciated!

May 17, 2019 at 6:01 AM Post #17,960 of 31,834
The X6 is tuned very neutral-ish with emphasis in the vocals section. I will say it is Etymotic ER4SR-like.
Once we're at it ... the Etymotics use one BA per side compared to 6 drivers in the X6. Regarding your tuning work, may I ask you how much much of that is actually based on technical analysis of e.g. transient responses, phase relations, etc... ? Must be one heck of a job to max. out their phase coherency.

Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #17,964 of 31,834
Talking about jumping off the cliff, I have to make it public here that TRN V80 wasn't my intended tuning. The treble of the V80 I have is as smooth as baby's bottom. I almost wanted to jump off the cliff when I received the production unit (I usually don't receive my set immediately)... The treble is peaky and unbearable!

What happened then? They re-tuned the sound without my knowledge. By the time I told them, they already shipped out 350 units to their distributors.

I actually bought the v80, after a lot of praise from many, but the sibilance and treble was absolutely killing me. So glad you say this loud'n'clear here (if I understand you correct)

May 17, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #17,966 of 31,834
X8 has better sub-bass and smoother treble compared to X6. Overall more refined sounding. Both IEMs are reference tuning.

are they OK with you to leak out their next iem? i dont want to interfere here just a gently reminder maybe. Anyway is X8 coming out soon? i'm interested in reference tuning with additional sub bass but keep mid bass clean enough.

May 17, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #17,967 of 31,834
Hey guys,

Just want to say thanks again to anyone who helped with suggestions. This is a great thread, and community, for people like me that occasionally dip in and out of the audio field (nor are very audio savy to begin with :p), and as a result aren't up to date on the more obscure, budget beating Chi-Fi world. It was daunting to begin with; initial searching brought up a whole plethora of seemingly arbitrarily named products: Tin T2, ****, 1More, CCA C10, ZSN, E1000 - whatever are these mysterious abstract codes, and why are there so many of them? SO many options! Luckily, you guys helped decipher it all. I had many suggestions and they truly helped me out.

I ended up going for the KZ ZS10 Pro. It's relatively new, so reviews and impressions are only now just starting to trickle in. If they're anything to go by, I'm very enthused with how it's been received.

After this thread I was looking at he TFZ T2. From what was written here and elsewhere, the quality and sound signature sounded like what I was looking for. The TRN IM1 was also suggested and I seriously considered it, but some feedback from others gave me a little pause. Same with the RevoNext QT5. They were shortlisted. T2 was the front runner though. T2 looked to be around $59 USD in-stock at the cheapest on Aliexpress.

Then I started to see stuff about the KZ KS10. I was peripherally aware of KZ when I initially started researching (KZ ZSN and ZSN Pro seemed to be what I seeing recommended), and knew they were a big player in the Chi-Fi space. Looked into the ZSN pretty heavily as they seem so ubiquitous and well liked. Seemed a good option. Stumbled across the ZS10 Pro and saw it was getting some good press. I watched a lot of Zpolt on YouTube, and he really liked them. The scarce videos from other reviewers there seemed to like them too. Sounded like what I wanted - slight V sound but with good detail and clarity across the spectrum. I saw they were available for around 32 USD on Ali at the time. Cheaper than the T2, which I'd also have to budget in a Mic cable for. Hmmm. Looked for written impressions, but they were few and far between. Those that did have them seemed to like them though. Hmmm. Damn, they also look really nice too with the metal plate and transparent shell. Hmmm... Bah, screw it - I'll just buy these! They tick all the boxes.

Anyway, I guess I'll know for myself soon enough. More reviews are coming out and I'm pretty happy I went this direction. All feedback seems to be generally good. Bad Guy Good Audio seemed to really like them and picked them over the more expensive options like the KZ AS16. I'll try and update with my impressions when I received them.

Again, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that helped with suggestions. It made the decision process so much clearer. Even those that didn't help directly, as reading back through this thread about IEMs I was uhmming and ahhing about was extremely beneficial.

And with that, I'm back down the rabbit hole - I know because even though I decided on what to get and purchased them, I still want to get the **** because it sounds so intriguing. *sigh* Thanks guys!

EDIT: I should probably mention I purchased on the 12th of May. They only just shipped though. Having a look at the dedicated KZ thread it seems like there's been a lot of recent activity since and the discussion on these is very positive. Guess we'll see if they suit soon enough.

I've heard nothing but good things about the KZ ZS10 pro's, I'm certain you will like them. With many of these Chinese products, sometimes you have to just be patient. I'm not sure if you are in the US but I always check Amazon before I buy, I will pay a few more dollars for quicker delivery sometimes.

May 17, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #17,969 of 31,834
Hey, it is good publicity for them. I won't worry too much about it. They will piss off only if I start talking s**t about their new products (by the way, V80 is not considered new product***).

X8 will be out 3rd quarter of 2019. But I can't show you the photo though because my beta set looks nothing like the final product.

***hint, hint... New V-series flagship coming soon.
V90?

Btw. My X6 just arrive today. Love it! My phone drive it just fine. Prefer foam tips over the silicone. Coming from ZST the signature is very different, but like it very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back