CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Apr 28, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #17,596 of 31,834
Ok guys, so after 2 successful purchases, I finally won the chifi lottery and got myself a faulty unit. Basically one side(I don't know which) is wired out of phase and the seller only offers to send me 1 piece of either side as replacement. While I still want them to send me a full refund, I also want to be prepared in case things don't go as I wish (and I'd rather take that 1 piece than reshape the preformed hooks on my cable). So how do I know which side is wired wrongly? I bought a pair of the TRN V80, if that helps

The 1st thing I would do is try a different (known good) cable, because the IEMs could be fine and the problem could just be the cable wires out of phase.

So do that 1st and see what the result is.

Apr 28, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #17,597 of 31,834
Hey guys looking for some recommendations for a new set of in ears. I want to keep the price relatively low as I will be using them outside in potentially harsh environments and I break pairs every now and then, chi-fi seems the best way to go for value for money but I know next to nothing about the state of the market.

I will consider anything up to about $40 usd, I'd prefer it be available on AliExpress as I know the platform well and it is simple for my country.
I mainly listen to a mix of Country, Pop, EDM, and Indie, but also a lot of podcasts. I listen in a lot of loud environments so isolation must be good.
I also quite often listen as I go to sleep so bonus points for a design that allows that comfortably.
If I've missed any important info let me know and I'll clarify.
Cheers.

Apr 28, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #17,598 of 31,834
The 1st thing I would do is try a different (known good) cable, because the IEMs could be fine and the problem could just be the cable wires out of phase.

So do that 1st and see what the result is.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the problem is with the pair itself. I've tried the stock cable, the 060 from nicehck. I even got my hand on a cheap 4-core kz cable that came wired out of phase and it was the only one that worked fine

Apr 28, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #17,600 of 31,834
Yeah I'm pretty sure the problem is with the pair itself. I've tried the stock cable, the 060 from nicehck. I even got my hand on a cheap 4-core kz cable that came wired out of phase and it was the only one that worked fine

Oh ok yeah it’s the IEM then, not the wiring.

So you can fix this yourself if you want. You just pop the shell apart at the seam, and flip one of the sockets around 180 degrees.

To know which one to flip around, you’ll want to pay attention to the colors of the wires going to the socket. Pure copper color (gold) is ground, and green/blue/red/etc is +. You want the ground to point towards the nozzle, and + to point away from the nozzle.

Apr 28, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #17,601 of 31,834
Good 20-30 dollar for my friend wo listens casualy from phone should be a fun iem any recs?
Is the **** hard to drive and loud enough on phone ?

He likes bass what about kz zsn pro or non pro

Bro,

NICEHCK BRO at 12$ should really blow his mind. Big bass, nice soundstage, warm but enough resolving. No brainer.

Apr 28, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #17,602 of 31,834
Hey guys looking for some recommendations for a new set of in ears. I want to keep the price relatively low as I will be using them outside in potentially harsh environments and I break pairs every now and then, chi-fi seems the best way to go for value for money but I know next to nothing about the state of the market.

I will consider anything up to about $40 usd, I'd prefer it be available on AliExpress as I know the platform well and it is simple for my country.
I mainly listen to a mix of Country, Pop, EDM, and Indie, but also a lot of podcasts. I listen in a lot of loud environments so isolation must be good.
I also quite often listen as I go to sleep so bonus points for a design that allows that comfortably.
Cheers.

KZ ZSN and C10 look like a good fit. Decent isolation, comfortable and will be a good match for your genres. Others might recommend CA4 or ZSN Pro.

Apr 28, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #17,603 of 31,834
Something i dont think people say enough is that CCA C10 are a little hard to drive too. Need atleast 35 volume on my v20 or higher for it to sound full and not fuzzy.

Also the included cable does the c10 no justice. Midbass is especially muddy and subbass is pathetic. Mids are unfocused and treble sounds a bit too stacked for my liking. Imaging was weak as water and the soundstage was wide but had no definite depth. They sounded flat and underpowered, so i was glad that i ordered a upgrade cable just in case. I switched to a silver 8 core cable and it really did make a difference.

Although not analytical, detailed beasts, they do resolve an exceptional amount of detail for such a smoothly tuned iem. Soundstage and imaging are the highlights,for me, of the c10. Layering too is exceptional and instrumental music is really a treat on these. Usually i like colder sounding iems for rock and metal music but these do a fine job too if you are a longer listening type person. I recommend bumping up the treble a tad for added height though.
The dryer sounding bass and underemphasised subbas isnt what most people will like but those into instrumental genres might.Overall great value for a 20$ iem if you like its sound

Will probably get the v80 or what other offerings cca has for a more exciting sounding budget iem

Apr 28, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #17,604 of 31,834

Cheers.
QT5 sounds like it would fit the bill. Very comfortable, excellent sound and isolation and available on Ali Express.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #17,605 of 31,834
VSONIC VS3 review is UP on headfi and my NO BS BLOG

If you search for a well balanced mid-centric slightly brigth universal custom, this meteor like shaped iem can really make you travel far in its big soundstage!

NO BS APPROVED WITH THE EXCEPTION OF CLUMSY CABLE CONNECTION. (so not suggested as very first iem buy)

Apr 28, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #17,606 of 31,834
QT5 sounds like it would fit the bill. Very comfortable, excellent sound and isolation and available on Ali Express.

Yeah, I'd second that. Built like tanks and quite a good all round sound for multi genres. Doubt you'd be comfy sleeping in them but you'd be narrowing down options for that. Maybe the BQEYZ BQ3... I've just tried that lying down and it's flat shell might be fine. Also a very good sounding earphone but you'd be hard pushed to get for $50

Apr 28, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #17,607 of 31,834
Something i dont think people say enough is that CCA C10 are a little hard to drive too. Need atleast 35 volume on my v20 or higher for it to sound full and not fuzzy.

Also the included cable does the c10 no justice. Midbass is especially muddy and subbass is pathetic. Mids are unfocused and treble sounds a bit too stacked for my liking. Imaging was weak as water and the soundstage was wide but had no definite depth. They sounded flat and underpowered, so i was glad that i ordered a upgrade cable just in case. I switched to a silver 8 core cable and it really did make a difference.

Although not analytical, detailed beasts, they do resolve an exceptional amount of detail for such a smoothly tuned iem. Soundstage and imaging are the highlights,for me, of the c10. Layering too is exceptional and instrumental music is really a treat on these. Usually i like colder sounding iems for rock and metal music but these do a fine job too if you are a longer listening type person. I recommend bumping up the treble a tad for added height though.
The dryer sounding bass and underemphasised subbas isnt what most people will like but those into instrumental genres might.Overall great value for a 20$ iem if you like its sound

Will probably get the v80 or what other offerings cca has for a more exciting sounding budget iem

I must admit, after a wee while with it the C10 doesn't have that special place in my heart that i first had for it and I've changed cables. Don't get me wrong it's still good value, in fact very good value but the ****, V30, QT5 all beat it for sound. To get the best of the C10 I have to wear it indoors to get the detail at it's best.

The V80 IMO is a step down from C10.

I've mostly been listening to the Rosewill EX500 quite a bit. Get the right tip and you get quite a neutral sound with unique soundstage (headphone like). I'm not recommending it to you tho as it's shape won't be to everyone's tastes.

Apr 28, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #17,608 of 31,834

I havent noticed this yet but I am using a G6+ and they get very loud. my desktop amp that I run sennhieser HD6XX on -15db I have to turn down to -40 for the CCA-C10 and I know thats apples to oranges but even to other IEM they seem efficient to me.

Apr 29, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #17,609 of 31,834
VSONIC VS3 review is UP on headfi and my NO BS BLOG

If you search for a well balanced mid-centric slightly brigth universal custom, this meteor like shaped iem can really make you travel far in its big soundstage!

NO BS APPROVED WITH THE EXCEPTION OF CLUMSY CABLE CONNECTION. (so not suggested as very first iem buy)

Sounds like a pass. T2 pro or T3 then

Apr 29, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #17,610 of 31,834
Tried the IT01 cable on my **** because I needed to plug it on an amp. Can't say I notice a better sound...It seemed a bit different but did not analyze it properly, to be fair..
I did so to facilitate using the 2ndary PC that has an amp and I needed a cable without mic to make the 6.5mm adapter work. :p

I then went on aliexpress to search for nice mmcx cables with or without mic and found that all the nice ones did not have mics! I don't like the knot-prone stock cable even though its mic and remote is very convenient....Can anyone refer me to a nice mmcx cable with mic? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back