Cheapest place to buy D2000/5000s?
Jan 1, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #16 of 24
It can be argued that the Denon isn't actually a closed headphone.  :wink:

Might be a market for someone doing a special T50RP mod that gets a phater bass similar to the Denons.  Don't know if it would be possible to get them to have a similar flavor of soundstage and space as the Denons.

Lol yea but a lot of T50RP mods are semi closed

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #17 of 24
Seyo-shop.com still have a whole DX000 line for sale at decent prices. I ordered mine from them a year ago. I was a little scared at first to order from them because of the basic design of the shop, and relatively low prices, but when i saw they accept paypal i decided to give it a try. I was very satisfied with the fast e-mail support, fast shipping and what headphones was packaged very nicely. The D2000's i received had a "-k" suffix in the model name and everything was on japanese.

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:
Lol yea but a lot of T50RP mods are semi closed

Not once they are modded. 
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:
All three?  How do you decide which one to listen to?  
basshead.gif

biggrin.gif

Oh - the D2000 is just for the computer - you know Youtube, Trailers Video clips and things like that.  The D5000s are for the bedroom.  Although as we know - they do leak .  The D7000 is with the big rigs and the other Big Boy "CANS"..

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:
This is very true, so what are the other options for closed over ear cans?

I don't know what to suggest as an option for the Denon sound.  Do you have any ideas?

I suggested the T50RP because it's inexpensive if you do the modding yourself and will appeal to those on a budget.  The T50RP and modding supplies along with an amp like the new $99 Schiit would come in at about what the D2000 was available for.  It's not the Denon style of sound, but still can give you the bass extension down to way low but not with the same phat bass sound as the Denons.  The commercial mods like Mad Dog get more expensive (getting into D5000 territory).  Thunderpants style mods can give more space in the sound, but still not the way the Denons did.

We may just have to hope that Fostex releases a new line that matches up with the old Denon line.

Jan 1, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

I don't know what to suggest as an option for the Denon sound.  Do you have any ideas?

I suggested the T50RP because it's inexpensive if you do the modding yourself and will appeal to those on a budget.  The T50RP and modding supplies along with an amp like the new $99 Schiit would come in at about what the D2000 was available for.  It's not the Denon style of sound, but still can give you the bass extension down to way low but not with the same phat bass sound as the Denons.  The commercial mods like Mad Dog get more expensive (getting into D5000 territory).  Thunderpants style mods can give more space in the sound, but still not the way the Denons did.

We may just have to hope that Fostex releases a new line that matches up with the old Denon line.

Good luck with that any time soon.  They're still working on the TH600s and they may cost close to $1K rumor has it.  The Mad Dogs can be had for $300 and as low as $265..  That's more like the D2000 price.  Giving the options available at the moment.  The Mad Dogs seems like a good buy.

Jan 1, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Good luck with that any time soon.  They're still working on the TH600s and they may cost close to $1K rumor has it.  The Mad Dogs can be had for $300 and as low as $265..  That's more like the D2000 price.  Giving the options available at the moment.  The Mad Dogs seems like a good buy.

With no disrespect intended, I think that most here do not realize just how good these are. 

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Fostex is pricing the new headphones in the crazy expensive range, unfortunately.  I'm hoping they'll add some options in the under $500 range eventually.  But who knows?

I was adding in the price for an amp with the T50RP options.  Part of the appeal of the Denons was that you could get a good headphone that could be used ampless, which made it easier to consider for those on a budget that was already stretching just to get a Denon headphone.  The T50RP modded phones do need a suitable amp so that cost should be factored in.

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #24 of 24
another option:  amazon prices change throughout the day.  If you put something in your cart, you will be notified if the price changes.  If the 2000 falls below $300, buy them.  never seen them lower than that.

You may have to check some settings about notification if I remember correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back