cheapest legit place to buy?
Apr 9, 2011 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Snow_Fox

100+ Head-Fier
Went to guitar center yesterday and they didn't have any beyerdynamics bt770.80 ohms to try out, so like every other purchase in my life, I get to buy before I try. So where is the best deal? I know when I bought my es7s there were a lot of bootleg copies so I don't want to get screwed over. Any help would be appreciated.

Apr 9, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 20
If you don't mind purchasing online, Amazon is a great place to find legit headphones at pretty good prices.

Apr 9, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 20
If you don't mind purchasing online, Amazon is a great place to find legit headphones at pretty good prices.

Amazon in great because you get free shipping. However, be sure to check the seller with the headphone company to make sure they are authorized. Some of the Sennheiser cans on their are not sold by authorized dealers. Keep an eye out for coupons and promotions from sites like Onecall.com. I know recently they offered a coupon for their headphone shop and had free shipping.

In the end though, sometimes it is best to pay a little bit extra for good customer service and security. Just my two cents.

Apr 9, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 20

Quote:
Quote:

Amazon in great because you get free shipping. However, be sure to check the seller with the headphone company to make sure they are authorized. Some of the Sennheiser cans on their are not sold by authorized dealers. Keep an eye out for coupons and promotions from sites like Onecall.com. I know recently they offered a coupon for their headphone shop and had free shipping.

In the end though, sometimes it is best to pay a little bit extra for good customer service and security. Just my two cents.

You actually hit the nail on the head with my concerns.. I know amazon.com has a bunch of different resellers within itself.. so its hard to "verify" a lot of the time..
and on the beyerdynamic website apparently there is only one authorized reseller and I am not really finding jack on where to purchase from the auth'd reseller.

Also.. having a hard time finding a set that is 80 ohm.. even if it says "80 ohm" in title of link or what not I click "tech specs" and it says "ohms: 250" x.x

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 20
Most of the time, third party sellers will put in their description that they're authroized sellers if they are.  So if a seller does not specify that they are an authorized dealer, then assume they are not.

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 20

Quote:
Most of the time, third party sellers will put in their description that they're authroized sellers if they are.  So if a seller does not specify that they are an authorized dealer, then assume they are not.

Then at the moment I am assuming there is no authorized sellers at all..

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 20
Hmm, Guitarcenter's website has the the 80 Ohm version, though the website says they'll have it in stock in a few weeks(4/29 according to the website).  Also the website allows you to search to find other stores that have them in stock.  So that way, maybe you can find a store not too far from your area that has them in stock.

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #8 of 20
Eh... The closest guitar center to me after that one is roughly 60 miles.. so this headset is at least 60+ miles away (if even that).

And from any trust worthy buyer it is at least a 1 month weight.. maybe my sign to move on although, I was really, really content to try them..

Maybe next I guess I'll check out a breakdown of sennheiser 595's to 598's...

Apr 9, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #9 of 20
Hmm, then how about taking a close look at the Audio-Technica M50?  I know it's sort of the trendy suggestion, but you'll find a sound signature that is quite similar to the DT 770 PRO.  Rest assured you'll have no trouble finding authorized dealers for this guy.

Apr 9, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #10 of 20
Maybe, I've seen a lot of suggestions going back and forth on the m50.

I was checking out the senn 595 since it seems to have all around good suggestions.. no auth'd resellers for it either apparently.

I've read the m50's are terrible (multiple places not just here) for gaming though.. Kinda ruins them as an "all around" pair of headphones >.<;

Apr 9, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
Maybe, I've seen a lot of suggestions going back and forth on the m50.

I was checking out the senn 595 since it seems to have all around good suggestions.. no auth'd resellers for it either apparently.

I've read the m50's are terrible (multiple places not just here) for gaming though.. Kinda ruins them as an "all around" pair of headphones >.<;

Yeah, the 595's beat the M50's in soundstage..which is good for fps games. 

Apr 9, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #12 of 20

Quote:
Yeah, the 595's beat the M50's in soundstage..which is good for fps games. 

What are the risk in buying from a non authorized seller I wonder... I mean the sennheiser website says amazon itself is an authorized reseller so I wonder if any "company" i buy them from off the amazon website is "authorized" then..

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #13 of 20

Quote:
What are the risk in buying from a non authorized seller I wonder... I mean the sennheiser website says amazon itself is an authorized reseller so I wonder if any "company" i buy them from off the amazon website is "authorized" then..

Some Sennheiser cans are sold directly through Amazon.com, others are through various sellers. The importance in buying new from an authorized seller is 1.) Getting a legitiment device and 2.) Is under warrantee from the headphone company.
These are just two major issue. I know buying a Sennheiser can from an unauthorized dealer will result in the warrantee being void.

Apr 11, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #14 of 20
My suggestion isn't as safe as using Amazon (what is?), but Dealextreme is a great service for its price. It takes a while to come, but they usually have no problems refunding/replacing your items. I don't think they sell many headphones though...

And then there's eBay. That's a tricky world, but if you can find a reliable buyer by reading the comments, you probably won't be unsatisfied.

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #15 of 20
Oh and did I mention local hi-fi shops? I've been able to snag some great deals from them by casually mentioning things like "Is the floor model for sale?" or "I'm not sure between the two, I really like this one but it's a little more then I was willing to spend." Often times these will be met with a reply such as, "No, but I can take 15% off for you" or "I'll tell you what, I can take off 15% off these ones, would that meet your budget?" 
Know retail, they mark it up to make profits, but they can take a smaller loss as a sale is a sale (and usually will make a customer very happy and more likely to recommend their shop). Being a regular customer also helps. Some of my Grado cans were actually cheaper to buy at a local hi-fi ship (with our county sales tax of 8.10%) then I would have gotten online (with free shipping). So that is another option to take into consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back