Cheapest amp you could be happy with?
Nov 13, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #16 of 34
For a portable all-in-one, though not available now, I would go with the Sony D303 cd player. When hooked up to the external DC supply the internal amp can drive my HD650's to acceptable levels with a sound that is clean open and dynamic. With the Portapros it goes way beyound what I could listen to in volume. I was amazed the other day when I listen to it without going through my external dac and amp. The other Sony's have no where near this sound quality out of the internal amp, at least that I have experienced and I have most of them. After that the Xin micro IV would be the best bet for me.

Nov 13, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #17 of 34
SDS-XLR. No, just kidding. To tell you the truth, some of the portable amps available today do a great job. Something like the SMIV or Hornet, and I'm good to go. If you don't mind recharging batteries, they're fine for home use as well and can drive pretty much any headphones other than the K1000.

Nov 13, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5
Uncle Eric (haven't called anyone uncle in decades
icon10.gif
), I believe you also have the kit version of the GLite so does this mean you'd pick the H5 over the GL?

Yep. The Dynalo is very good, as well, but there's no built-in crossfeed. I've come to like it a lot lately. If they both had it, well, it'd be a lot closer!

Nov 13, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Andrea, I highly value your opinion so I immediately checked out this amp and it looks very tasty. Would you please explain in a little more detail why you think it would be a good choice? I use K501s,701s, listen almost exclusively to audiophile classical discs with an emphasis on choral music and value a clean, light and transparent sound to capture the voices of angels.

My mini-review of the Faith amp

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207160

And some pics I took

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=mseed

Nov 13, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

If you could have only one stock amp (no tweaking allowed), what is the cheapest, readily available amp you could be happy with? I know some of you are very advanced in this hobby and would be inclined to pick some obscure amp that none of us noobs ever heard of, but if you suddenly became poor and still had the taste for headphone blood what amp would pick?

Hmmm...I believe the Xiang Sheng 708B is in the $300 range. I had the 708A (bought used for around $200), and could easily live just with that driving ATH-W100's. I moved on, but that doesn't diminish how good the combo sounded.

Nov 13, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #22 of 34
I could happily live with a RSA The Hornet, and a pair of high-end headphones.

Nov 13, 2006 at 7:15 AM Post #23 of 34
Not to jump off topic but how big of a jump is say the Headfive from using a PA2V2? Sound quality wise and all. This is what i'll probably end up getting next week etc. Thanks all!

Nov 14, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Andrea, I highly value your opinion so I immediately checked out this amp and it looks very tasty. Would you please explain in a little more detail why you think it would be a good choice? I use K501s,701s, listen almost exclusively to audiophile classical discs with an emphasis on choral music and value a clean, light and transparent sound to capture the voices of angels.

(sorry for the late answer) Because it looks like it's accurately engineered and built, first; and because the chips themselves are very good sounding and the 'architecture' is clever. Those chips should also deliver just about the type of sound you seek...

Nov 14, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #25 of 34
The zhaolu discrete amp upgrade, only comes with the DAC so the price is around 200$. Its not completely silent as you turn up, but otherwise it sounds great! Nobrainer for the money.

Nov 14, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #29 of 34
SR-71 for SS or X-Can v3 for tubey. Having had both, I know either would be just fine if I was on a budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back