Cheaper solid state dedicated headphone amps that power the HE-6...
Jul 10, 2012 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
If you're like me and you want to stay away from tubes and hifi receivers, you've got;

1). Lake People G109P (reviewed by innerfidelity today who said that it could drive "pretty much any headphone in existence")
2). Schiit Mjolnir (balanced, high end of 'cheap', offers the most power here, not out yet, so risky)
3). Violectric V200 (the very, very high end of 'cheap')
4). Burson Soloist (again, very, very high end of 'cheap', 6moons says it can drive the HE-6, head-fi'ers say it can't)
5). NJC Monitor II (British, very little knowledge/opinions of this amp, so risky)
6). Various Audio GD products (balanced, slightly dodgy reputation - and which one is the recommended buy?)

Are there any others I can add to the list?

Thanks in advance...

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 11
that power them to where? - DAP: Sansa Clip, iPod will power them to mid 80 dB SPL - enough for all day long background listening

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 11
Its too early too judge the soloist from what i think, give it a month and im sure head-fi'ers will get their hands on one to pair it with the HE-6. 

Btw, i heard of a trends amp that is able to power them but dont remember the model. 
tongue.gif

Jul 20, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
If you're like me and you want to stay away from tubes and hifi receivers, you've got;

1). Lake People G109P (reviewed by innerfidelity today who said that it could drive "pretty much any headphone in existence")
2). Schiit Mjolnir (balanced, high end of 'cheap', offers the most power here, not out yet, so risky)
3). Violectric V200 (the very, very high end of 'cheap')
4). Burson Soloist (again, very, very high end of 'cheap', 6moons says it can drive the HE-6, head-fi'ers say it can't)
5). NJC Monitor II (British, very little knowledge/opinions of this amp, so risky)
6). Various Audio GD products (balanced, slightly dodgy reputation - and which one is the recommended buy?)

Are there any others I can add to the list?

Thanks in advance...

Really?

Jul 21, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #6 of 11
dodge the receivers at your loss. Speaker amps will give you better overall value to sound performance for the HE-6 than any headphone amp.

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
dodge the receivers at your loss. Speaker amps will give you better overall value to sound performance for the HE-6 than any headphone amp.

there's plenty of anecdotal support for this! if you don't want to spend a lot of money this can be done on the cheap. a few of the tripath amps seem to do a better job than most can amps, eg. from virtue audio and trends audio. they're not very costly, they're compact and cool running., and seem to be very very good in this application!
you can also look into this amp, which is inexpensive (and even a better deal for another few days while it's on sale!) and you can get it with a trial period. ie if you don't like it send it back:  http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/a100

also check out speaker or integrated amps from parasound, rotel, nad, adcom etc.
do a search as there a bunch of threads that cover this extensively!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back