Cheaper Denon D5000 Substitute?
May 7, 2013 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dryvadeum

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey, well I'm looking for a cheaper substitute for my Denon D5000's as I'd like to free up some funds for other gear. Is there a headphone that exists that sounds similar enough in regards to subbass rumble etc but is relatively cheaper? How does the M-Audio Q40 go?

Any suggestions or comparisons would be appreciated.

May 7, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 8
You may want to give the Philips Cityscape Downtown a try.  Sure they are inexpensive, awesome sounding, measure well, and seal well, but they also are quite comfortable.  Let the sound be the judge not the price.

One caveat would be that they are pretty neutral sounding up until 1.2 kHz where they sharply drop off in the treble.  To me this is not super critical, but if you are used to crisp cymbals and chimes or even snare perhaps you will not find the Downtown adequate.  For general listening amped or unamped I really like the Downtown.  It is a super fun sounding headphone and my new Best Choice under $200.

May 7, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 8
Denon D2000 is very close imho and generally a lot cheaper.

May 8, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 8
I don't think there's any other pair that gives that kind of bass performance, and maintains that kind of clarity. Q40s are good substitutes though. I actually prefer their treble. Beyers were too muddy and sibilant for me.

May 8, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
I don't think there's any other pair that gives that kind of bass performance, and maintains that kind of clarity. Q40s are good substitutes though. I actually prefer their treble. Beyers were too muddy and sibilant for me.

Can you give me a comparison of the D5000 and the Q40? Do the Q40's have that same loose subbass rumble?

May 8, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Can you give me a comparison of the D5000 and the Q40? Do the Q40's have that same loose subbass rumble?

Its been a year or two since I've had them, but the Q40s are a bit leaner in the bottom end. But they're the only cans in my experience, that extend as low without having a midbass hump, and without muddying the rest of the frequencies. Bass is still very satisfying though, probably top 5 in bass performance. Highs are not as sibilant as the Denons, so they are better in that regard, but I felt they lost a bit of detail because of it. The Q40s are still some of the best value, if not the best, in the market, and I prefer them to many headphones triple their price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back