Cheaper Alternative to Studio Beats by Dre
Jul 6, 2010 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

antonkat

New Head-Fier
I tried out a fews sets of headphones recently and was blown away by Studio Beats.  Seems like these are a pretty touchy subject for some but I really liked the sound.  I would love a pair of these but I can't spend the dough.  Does anyone have a good option that sound similar and are under $70?  To help guide suggestions I thought Skullcrushers sounded awful and Sony XB500s (which I thought should have some powerful bass like Beats) weren't any better.  I tried the Bose Quietcomfort 15s too and they just didn't have anything behind the music like the Studio Beats.  Also I don't want anything that will leak a lot of sound because I plan on using these in libraries a lot.  Please advise, thanks.

Jul 6, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 17
Audio technica m50 are quite bass heavy head phones.
but think they are slightly more than $70, 
actually the m50s will sound better than the beats 

Jul 6, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 17
You could try the XB700s.

Jul 6, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 17
Alienware Ozma 5 (OEM'ed Ultrasone HFI-550 / HFI-580)

$90

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alienware-OZMA-5-HFI-550-HEADPHONES-MP3-Gaming-iPod-NEW-/280396258322?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item4148eb5c12

Sub $70, if you don't mind the comfort issues, the AKG K81DJ

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/413228-REG/AKG_3102_H_00010_K_81_DJ_.html

Or if you are using it for outdoors, I'd go for In-ears as they isolate much more = you won't have to turn it up as loud = better for your hearing.

Jul 6, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 17
Ultrasone HFI 580.

It has equal to or greater than Beats Studio bass quantity. However, the bass does not encroach on the mids and highs of your music as much as the Beats. The HFI has more detail retrieval, more thumping bass, and greater soundstage.

If you can get past it's looks, it is clearly a better sounding headphone.

Jul 6, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
Both are good for the money, the Denon's bass is impressive. To use the Denon's though you will need a amp.

Quote:
How do Creative Aurvana Live! and Denon AH-D1001's compare?

I'm pretty sure they're almost exactly the same.  Same drivers in slightly different housings.

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #11 of 17
i just got the Creative Aurvana Live! today. really happy with them I must say. great sound out of my sony mp3 player, very comfy, light, looks good and leaks sound very little -> my new portable phone. put some hip hop on today on the way to the supermarket, very fun sound :)

cant compare to the beats, never heard them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back