Cheap Looking Grado
Jun 21, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #31 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle
Why are people so freeeeekin concerned about what headphones look like rather than how they sound. Am I missing something?
confused.gif

You got to have the whole package, IMO. You want to drive a car with a 400hp engine but looks like a box (literally a box)??

I dont want to spend my hard earned money on something that isnt built well or doesnt look right. I need the sound to be there, too, but looks play a big part to me - otherwise, there would be no need for designers.

Besides, I dont think people are more concerned about looks over sound... I think it's more that people are concerned with how badly or poorly something is constructed EVEN though they like the sound... there's a big difference between buying something for looks and buying something that sounds good but wished looked/constructed better.

Jun 22, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #32 of 113
Same thing when I got my Sr60. I thought, "What the hell is this. My ex-Bose Triport Cans are better constructed than this.". Then I heard the sound and decided to let it slip.

How come the 325i or the MS-2i don't come in an all metal construction like the HPs. I would pay the extra money for them. How much could it really cost for for a few ounces of metal anyway. $10-$20........

The cost would increase, but I'm convinced more people would buy the cans for the aesthetic value alone.

Jun 22, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #34 of 113
The grados are cheap cosmetically but they're also more simple than most phones. The cups can rotate fully without breaking off. The headband can be bent easilly, but there aren't any wires running thru it like the Senn HD280 or many of the Sony's. The pads can be replaced very easily by the owner if they are damaged. So long as the wires aren't yanked on and the cups aren't pierced in any way puncturing the drivers, even the plastic grados should stand up nicely, I think.

Jun 22, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #35 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
How come the 325i or the MS-2i don't come in an all metal construction like the HPs. I would pay the extra money for them. How much could it really cost for for a few ounces of metal anyway. $10-$20........

The cost would increase, but I'm convinced more people would buy the cans for the aesthetic value alone.

Someone call GRADO LABS and find out how much this would increase production costs per headphone.

Jun 22, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #38 of 113
Back when I was shopping for the perfect "sound" I too was a little bothered with how cheap the lower-range Grados looked, especially compared with the Senns in the same price-range. They've been accused of looking like "a high-school science project" etc etc

It wouldn't really hike production costs significantly, IMO, if John was to redesign the Grado construction to be more contemporary. I certainly think that at the minimum they ought to have the leather headband standard on all models from the SR-225 onward. But one gets the feeling that Grado Labs enjoys the position that they are in of calling the shots, and ignoring consumer input/requests (which are not limited to just the ergonomics alone, but also include bringing back the HPs to production in some form, flat pads as an option, etc).

I don't necessarily agree with this kind of company philosophy, but then on the other hand, would one be able to persuade a large behemoth such as Sony to tailor their phones to our preferences? I don't think so.

With all that said, I have stepped/tripped on the cable of my SR-225s on several occasions, hard enough that the phones were violently yanked off my head. They still continue to work just fine, without any issues. I guess they must be doing something right as far as construction of Grados
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #39 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
1911 freaked out when he saw a little string coming from the RS-1's headband stitch - he didn't believe me when I told him that was normal Grado QC lol.

I have the same deal with my MS2i. They were purchased new.

-Matt

Jun 22, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #40 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
This lack of attention to detail is part of what keeps me from buying a Grado. There is absolutely no excuse considering what they charge for thier headphones.
rolleyes.gif

agreed, inexcusable. I like the sound but I have serious problems with their lack of care and the generally obnoxious attitude of the company.

jesse

Jun 22, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #41 of 113
i recently did a small mod to my sr225 by removing the button and taking the silver paint off of the lettering. when i opened them up to clean the glue off the metal grill, i was shocked at how cheap the construction was. inside, there was glue everywhere and the only reason you can't see it is becuase the whole housing is dark, not allowing you to see much. definitely disappointing for a pair of headphones that retails for $200 even though they sound great.

so now that i took the silver paint off and the whole housing is black, it looks even cheaper since there is so much plastic everywhere. the arms are plastic and the headband is a cheap plastic cover over an exposed metal band. they look more like a toy than audiophile quality headphones. the lengths that we go to for good sound.....

Jun 22, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #42 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
i recently did a small mod to my sr225 by removing the button and taking the silver paint off of the lettering. when i opened them up to clean the glue off the metal grill, i was shocked at how cheap the construction was. inside, there was glue everywhere and the only reason you can't see it is becuase the whole housing is dark, not allowing you to see much. definitely disappointing for a pair of headphones that retails for $200 even though they sound great.

so now that i took the silver paint off and the whole housing is black, it looks even cheaper since there is so much plastic everywhere. the arms are plastic and the headband is a cheap plastic cover over an exposed metal band. they look more like a toy than audiophile quality headphones. the lengths that we go to for good sound.....

Didnt I warn you guys not to open them up? LOL,

anyone wonder what the hp1s and RS1s look on the inside

very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 22, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #43 of 113
Could somebody post example pictures of exactly how cheap this construction is (Both inside and outside, though I'm more curious to see this horrid inside construction)? I'm thinking about getting the SR-80s or the MS-1s but this careless-ness is a little unsettling.

Jun 22, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #44 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
Didnt I warn you guys not to open them up? LOL,

anyone wonder what the hp1s and RS1s look on the inside

very_evil_smiley.gif

curiosity killed the cat but in my case it was out of necessity since that glue was so difficult to get off. i'm kinda curious how my ms2 look on the inside but considering that i almost turned my sr225 into a melted mess of plastic, i'd better not try the ms2. i'll post pics of the inside of my sr225 when i get home tonight.

Jun 22, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #45 of 113
You can just look inside them with a flashlight and see the crappy soldering work. Even the RS-1/2 look like the wires were soldered by an ape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back