Cheap Looking Grado
Jun 22, 2005 at 5:08 PM Post #61 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
On the Grado issue, as long as their shoddy looking construction doesn't affect the sound quality, I'm happy. I'm probably done with Grado's for now, I have my 225's and they sound spendid, next in line is something from the other worthy brands.

This sort of faulty logic from other Grado owners makes me go
confused.gif
As consumers we're paying $200 and above for not just performance, but aesthetics as well.

Would you buy $100 sneakers that were comfortable and supportive on your runs, but had ugly dried glue marring the outside? Or a jacket that was an impeccable fit but had stitching that wasn't in a straight line on the lapels? Are you aware of any companies which manufacture products in the "premium" price range that have such shoddy QC?

Heck, people admire the amplifier builds of a particular member here because they exhibit such attention to detail inside the amp - clean soldering and neat wiring. It matters. If a one-man operation can take the time, while still charging reasonable prices, so can a company which likely has comparatively huge markups on their product range.

I love my Grados for their sound as much as anyone else, but because they are a sort of "monopoly" in the headphone market, since no other company offers drivers which sound quite the same, they seem to be able to get away with the poor build standard they exhibit.

Jun 22, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #62 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozric
This sort of faulty logic from other Grado owners makes me go
confused.gif
As consumers we're paying $200 and above for not just performance, but aesthetics as well.

I love my Grados for their sound as much as anyone else, but because they are a sort of "monopoly" in the headphone market, since no other company offers drivers which sound quite the same, they seem to be able to get away with the poor build standard they exhibit.

You explained the "faulty" logic right in your last sentence.

For some reason, we Grado owners love our Grado's and even when we are faced with some shoddy looking build quality, we take notice, but it does not detract from the ultimate love of the sound.

Jun 22, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #63 of 113
I agree, the looks of my SR125s doesnt make me sick. Personally i kind of like the nostalgic sort of look they give. As far as the soldering is concerned, It may look sloppy, but the electrical connection is there and they do seem from others to last a long time. So why complain !
rs1smile.gif
Just enjoy!!

Jun 22, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #64 of 113
I like the Grado look and sound, but have also been bothered by the build.

I had SR60's and upgraded to SR225's. I was shocked that my almost two hundred dollar headphones had the same "chasis" as the SR60's. The cheap headband (cheap vinyl!) and loosely spinning cups with tangling wires really broke my heart.

I haven't figured out yet how to keep the cups/wires straight....but I upgrade to a leather headband which really helps in the looks and comfort department.

Jun 22, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #65 of 113
I love the sound but would gladly pay a few extra dollars, even more than a few, for good build quality (my first SR 60 literally fell apart at the seems after 2 days of sitting on a shelf) - the store replaced them and had apprarently seen that sort of thing before - now I'm a little nervous about taking them out and about.

It should be interesting to see what they do with their streetstyles (if they ever get them out); hopefully they will farm the housing out again.

But I do really love the sound.

Jun 22, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #67 of 113
I dig the look of them - their branding is great, not easy to mistake them for something else.

My other Grados have lasted without any problems, even ones purchased used several years old, but the first SR60 had a manufacture's problem (the seam in the plastic housing was cracking along the left side, almost completely split apart upon purchase new in a sealed box from a local shop).

A few months later I bought an SR 125 from a different shop - that one had a different problem (metal bar on the right side didn't have a little black plastic cap and was slick, almost greased, so it would slide off) - not a big deal but I was buying new so I took it back and the store replaced it.

Defects happen with everything, but from reading the boards Grado seems to have a different approach to quality control (both the shops made comments to that effect). Their customer service is great and they sound so good IMHO I can't bring myself to buy something else. But it's still a little nerve-racking to take them about - maybe a case would work for me-or waiting and hoping the street styles come out soon - or trying to hunt down the elusive SR40.
tongue.gif

Jun 22, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #68 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Poor soldering, crappy design and globs of hot glue might be acceptable for a $95 headphone, but what about the SR225 or the RS1? How do you excuse that?

I've never seen poor soldering, crappy design and globs of hot glue on a Grado. I have seen glue but it was neither hot nor globby.

Quote:

And sorry, but what $300 headphone does the SR60 sound better than?
rolleyes.gif

Who's talking about the SR60?

The SR80 sounds as good or better than (that I've heard) the HD580, any Sony in that range, some Beyers and Koss. Take your pick. YMMV.

Jun 22, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #69 of 113
Since the Alessandro's seem to be Grado rip offs, do they also have this shoddy build quality on both the outside and inside?

Jun 22, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #70 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Since the Alessandro's seem to be Grado rip offs, do they also have this shoddy build quality on both the outside and inside?

They're not ripoffs, both are made by gradolabs IIRC.

Jun 23, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #71 of 113
Really? I always thought Alessandro was a group of guys who'd tweak Grado headphones to sound better and then sell them for more. But it is still a little unsettling to order from them since it seems like I'd be getting something that looks exactly like a Grado but is an "Alessandro." They also don't seem to have that little "button" in the middle that indicates which model headphone it is.

Jun 23, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #72 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Really? I always thought Alessandro was a group of guys who'd tweak Grado headphones to sound better and then sell them for more. But it is still a little unsettling to order from them since it seems like I'd be getting something that looks exactly like a Grado but is an "Alessandro." They also don't seem to have that little "button" in the middle that indicates which model headphone it is.

nah, alessandro did some colloboration with grado to make a tweaked pro-audio/studio phone (not meant for consumer use, only musicians, mixers, and all those other audio-related dudes are supposed to be able buy them, grado doesn't like us reg. joes getting a pair). Both grados and aless. come from gradolabs. Aless just distributes them IIRC.

Jun 23, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #73 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle
...Besides, most cars "housings" are designed to go with their engines. Same goes for headphones. I've heard some very nice looking headphones that sounded like crap. If they'd designed a solid housing for the drivers instead, they made have had something listenable.

You guys are hilarious. $95 bucks for a headphone that sounds as good or better that $300 ones and you whine that they didn't hire someone to spend hours making them physically smooth as silk.

You don't even own Grado's and you bitch about the "lack of care and the generally obnoxious attitude of the company"? ROFL! Grado is the benchmark for great customer service and support.

Agreed! Substance over style any day(although right now my preference is for SA1000's, but I go for the sound they make, their looks come second. But they look like the sh** and feel like it too. Comfier than everything but *maybe* HD580/600/650's, IMO.).
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Well said Beagle....I personally don't care what my car looks like, especially to other people....as long as *I* like the way it drives. That's why I like cars like Subaru WRX, they look like stink, but go like stink.

On the Grado issue, as long as their shoddy looking construction doesn't affect the sound quality, I'm happy.

Damn straight. SR60's are like rat rods, IMHO. They remind me of old 30's-50's Fords and Chevy's put together in the back of a garage with straight pipes coming out the sides, raw primer paint jobs, and a sparse interior, but engines ususally take pink slips from everything else on the road.

Vroooooom indeed.
biggrin.gif
Abe

Jun 23, 2005 at 8:15 AM Post #74 of 113
Quote:

You guys are hilarious. $95 bucks for a headphone that sounds as good or better that $300 ones and you whine that they didn't hire someone to spend hours making them physically smooth as silk.

You don't even own Grado's and you bitch about the "lack of care and the generally obnoxious attitude of the company"? ROFL! Grado is the benchmark for great customer service and support.

speak for yourself, Ill take the $300 cans. my $70 akgs sound better then the sotck sr-80s. the akgs are also built better and have a more accurate and realistic sound stage.

My grados cost me $100 plus another $40 for the flat pads.

my senn 600 refurbs cost me $160 shipped and it smokes anything Ive heard from grado up to the 225's in terms of quality, sound stage, neutrality and every possible way.

I agree though the Grado folks are friendly and helpful.

Jun 23, 2005 at 8:22 AM Post #75 of 113
Quote:

I've never seen poor soldering, crappy design and globs of hot glue on a Grado. I have seen glue but it was neither hot nor globby.

Who's talking about the SR60?

The SR80 sounds as good or better than (that I've heard) the HD580, any Sony in that range, some Beyers and Koss. Take your pick. YMMV.

have you opened one up or tried looking through the screen
orphsmile.gif

My grado have gobs of hot glue everywhere and a plastic zip tie used to keep the wire from sliding further then normal, you know, the ones you buy at the hardware shop $3 for like 500 pieces/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back