Cheap Looking Grado
Aug 7, 2005 at 3:11 PM Post #106 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
The differences between the models is tweaking, resonance control, and all the other things mentioned on the site. One merely has to read each of the model descriptions to find out which has which driver.

Just checked again and I am still not seeing this... or are you drawing conclusions based on the numbers they have posted for each headphone?

Aug 7, 2005 at 3:19 PM Post #107 of 113
No. In the writeups for SR60 it has a description. The SR80 description goes on to remark how it is based on the SR60, but an extension. Then go to the SR125 and it mentions its improved driver specifically and then goes on to remark how the 225's are an extension of it. The 325i's have a completely new driver technology going on with the latest and greatest from Grado and then we have the Reference series driver which is in both the 2's and 1's.

Aug 7, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #108 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Just checked again and I am still not seeing this... or are you drawing conclusions based on the numbers they have posted for each headphone?

Just navigate thru the site and you'll find the information. 60's and 80's have standard copper voice coils and standard copper cable. 125's and 225's have UHPLC copper voice coils and standard copper cable. 225's drivers are matched to .05 dB (compared to .1 for 60, 80, 125), as are the 325, RS-2 and RS-1. 325, RS-2 and RS-1 also have UHPLC copper cables.

Aug 7, 2005 at 6:08 PM Post #109 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
My SR-80's have a few scratches on them and are a little roughly made overall, but things are moslty in one piece. My main complaint is that the wire coming from the Y-splitter is shorter going to the left earpiece, and neither wire is perfectly straight. Also, the cups rotate a little too freely for my liking. Still, nothing has shown any sign of degradation.

I am amazed I'm not the one who posted that. It's like you can read my mind or something...

The left wire is shorter on mine also, and I agree on the cups rotating too freely. (I own SR225 though)

Aug 7, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #110 of 113
From reading the site it seems like it could just as easily be tweaks to the same drivers, but I really don't care either way so I will bow out here.
tongue.gif

Aug 7, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #111 of 113
I think people forget about the absolutely awesome cable that come on the phones.

It's hard to beat with an aftermarket cable... I'm sure a good chunk of the money you pay for the cans is for the cable.

Aug 8, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #113 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Well, the SR60 and SR80 are the only ones that are priced at all reasonably, but even with them you can compare them to similarily priced headphones [or even headphones costing $20] and their quality is subpar.

Oh, and I have not heard the SR80... only the SR60, SR225 and the RS1. These are the two Grado's that I am basing my comments on.Do you have a link to these facts?

I have never heard any headphone that cost $80 that sounds as good as the SR-80. I spent $100 on some Sennheisers some years back that sounded terrible, were very uncomfortable, and were quite ugly. (they were and HD-4##, with red foam behind the driver)

The SR-60 through SR-125 have a normal copper wire and voice coil.
The SR-225 has the same wire, but with a higher quality voice coil (ultra high purity, long crystal copper).
The SR-325 through the RS-1 have the the higher quality voice coil and wire (both UHPLC copper).*
*[SR-325 has the aluminum housing]
*[RS-2 has the mahogony housing, and the RS-1 has a larger mahogony housing]
All these specs were taking from Grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back