Cheap Looking Grado
Jun 21, 2005 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 113

yaufei

100+ Head-Fier
I just picked up a pair of Grado SR-80 from my local store.

However i was surprised how cheaply made it is. The plastic is not cut and filed properly and there are bits of threads sticking out of it.

Should i be returning it for a another set?

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #2 of 113
I don't think so. That's how they come! I was scared as well when my first minty smelling box arrived...oh how glorious it was
biggrin.gif
. There are even markings on the cups themselves check right below the "D" in Grado, I found a scuff right there along with another couple of imperfections. I was told that it's normal, so don't worry about it! Just enjoy your new cans!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 113
Keep in mind that there is only like 10 people that work at Grado labs.
tongue.gif
Strangely, the sound quality rarely differs between cans, but build quality does.

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 113
1911 freaked out when he saw a little string coming from the RS-1's headband stitch - he didn't believe me when I told him that was normal Grado QC lol.

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 113
Yes they are cheaply constructed....but they are all like that. If it sounds fine, keep it! Mine has stray silver paint specs on the earpiece (the same paint as the lettering)

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #9 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by robzy
Cheaply constructed, but they wont fall apart.

Rob.

Yeah, and now you have to worry even less about getting dings and scratches.
cool.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #11 of 113
yea the sr-80s are cheap parts and cheaply put together, if you want to worry less, never open one up and see how its soldered and assembled
smily_headphones1.gif

tip: a zip tie is used to hold your headphone cable
smily_headphones1.gif

they sound superb however. the have a sound nothing quite like them.
compared to their competitors, Senn being a major one, senns come with gorgeous packaging, foam padded inside very securely, and a hinged box with a desinger sleeve over the the gifts box type packaging.

grados arrive in a cardboard box resembling that used with crispy cremes take out and a foam insert. sealed together nicely with a sticker.

what they lack in presentation and sound stage, grados excell in speed and detail.

Jun 21, 2005 at 9:09 AM Post #12 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
typical... $5 headphone, $2 cable, $80 drivers.... and we all LOVE it!!!

LOL, that's a good one!
Although, I'd be more inclined to say, SR60's: 2-5$ headphone band+cups, 15$ cable(proportional to the $40 Grado extension), and the best $50 drivers you can buy, bar none. AND I LOVE IT TOO!!!

(I wonder what how SA1000 drivers in SR60 housing(assuming the drivers fit in each others' earcups) or SR60 drivers in SA1000 housing would sound? Ooooohhh, I'm being seduced by the idea!)
biggrin.gif
Abe

Jun 21, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #13 of 113
just think of it this way:

If you scratch down the line, you wont have to worry, it's already happened : ]

I'm kidna anal like that too about new stuff, but after awhile as it seems you've experiences, good sound prevails over quirky asthetic thingies on a sound device.

Jun 21, 2005 at 1:41 PM Post #14 of 113
The difference between build quality and price becomes more apparent when you start moving up the line.

My 225 is basically a SR80 with a metal screen, different copper wiring in the voicecoil. Same shoddy looking build quality, but the price happens to double.

Sometimes I think we're all insane.

Jun 21, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #15 of 113
This lack of attention to detail is part of what keeps me from buying a Grado. There is absolutely no excuse considering what they charge for thier headphones.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back