Cheap Looking Grado
Jun 21, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #16 of 113
And yet it sounds so delicious...honestly, even after awhile those black plastic Prestige-style SR200s started to look pretty darn good. Once you appreciate what's lurking underneath, everything about the can starts look darn good too. Ain't that always the way it is?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 2:01 PM Post #17 of 113
I guess... there are those that would find my K340's ugly. I think they look great though and after opening them up you can see that their build quality and design are top notch.
wink.gif

moddedk340smiley.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 2:02 PM Post #18 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
LOL, that's a good one!
Although, I'd be more inclined to say, SR60's: 2-5$ headphone band+cups, 15$ cable(proportional to the $40 Grado extension), and the best $50 drivers you can buy, bar none. AND I LOVE IT TOO!!!

(I wonder what how SA1000 drivers in SR60 housing(assuming the drivers fit in each others' earcups) or SR60 drivers in SA1000 housing would sound? Ooooohhh, I'm being seduced by the idea!)
biggrin.gif
Abe

Im tempted to drop some MS1 or K240s drivers into my MDR-CD870 can... Since I blew out one of the drivers and a replacement is $90 from sony.

Speaking of sony... dayum... (looks at his MDRV6 hanging next to his MS2)... Youd never guess which is the superior can. The V6 is soo durable, sleek, smooth and comfey. IMHO its the ultimate image can since howard stern and all the rappers/MTV rockers wear them in the studio... instant recognition on the street in those tihngs.

Garrett

Jun 21, 2005 at 2:11 PM Post #19 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I guess... there are those that would find my K340's ugly. I think they look great though and after opening them up you can see that their build quality and design are top notch.
wink.gif

moddedk340smiley.gif

I tried those cans at the meet - after the grados, i've become mostly immune to ugly cans- they looked nice enough to me! Comfy too. But maybe my Solo didn't have enough oomph to power it or something, but it sounded a bit thin and distant compared to the Grados. Since my Solo has a Current Drive Output, maybe it was just the nature of the can? Anyhow based on just looks I wouldn't turn it away.
600smile.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 2:26 PM Post #20 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
But maybe my Solo didn't have enough oomph to power it or something, but it sounded a bit thin and distant compared to the Grados. Since my Solo has a Current Drive Output, maybe it was just the nature of the can?

That was likely the case. I don't have any experience with the Solo, but there are only a small handfull of headphone amps that can properly power the K340. Not to get too off topic here, but whose K340's did you listen to? [you can PM me if you want so that we don't thread crap]

Jun 21, 2005 at 2:28 PM Post #21 of 113
*insert tiny threadcrap here* It was Joelongwood's I think!

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #22 of 113
I went to Paradise Audio & Video in San Jose to listen to Grados for the first time (they have every model!) so I asked to see a pair of SR-60's to start, and the guy took a brand-new pair right out of the box!
eek.gif

Only problem was, the right channel didn't work .. but the guy got out another pair. Surprising, though.

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #23 of 113
I've owned 3 pair of grado headphones and every single pair has had some type of minor defect. On one pair of sr80's the button on the screen was glued very off center and tilted. on another pair of 80's there was a large peice of erant plastic along the seam about the size of my pinkie nail. On my 325's there is a string about a 1/4 of an inch long haning out of the headband and one of the screens is concaved.

I'm thinking of buying a pair of rs1's and am a little worried about the build quality.....

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:41 PM Post #24 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovesocks
I went to Paradise Audio & Video in San Jose to listen to Grados for the first time (they have every model!) so I asked to see a pair of SR-60's to start, and the guy took a brand-new pair right out of the box!
eek.gif

Only problem was, the right channel didn't work .. but the guy got out another pair. Surprising, though.

thats a great little shop IMHO.

Jun 21, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #26 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
The difference between build quality and price becomes more apparent when you start moving up the line.

My 225 is basically a SR80 with a metal screen, different copper wiring in the voicecoil. Same shoddy looking build quality, but the price happens to double.

Sometimes I think we're all insane.

I however find that there is a HUGE step up when miving to the 325(i). Metal cups, real leather headband. They just feel more solid.

Jun 21, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #27 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20
I however find that there is a HUGE step up when miving to the 325(i). Metal cups, real leather headband. They just feel more solid.

true, but soundwise, I'm not sure I prefer the 325i's..... but the 325i's are definitely more bling
orphsmile.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #28 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by yaufei
I just picked up a pair of Grado SR-80 from my local store.

However i was surprised how cheaply made it is. The plastic is not cut and filed properly and there are bits of threads sticking out of it.

Should i be returning it for a another set?

If it sounds good, keep it. They're cheaply made, but they sound delicious, especially amped and burned in. I do remember I was horrified at the box for a brief moment before paying. I thought: what have I done?!?! Then I remembered how they sounded, and took them home. I typically listen to them 2-4 hours an evening.

Mmmm. I miss my Grado SR-80s when at work.

Jun 21, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #29 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by yaufei
I just picked up a pair of Grado SR-80 from my local store.

However i was surprised how cheaply made it is. The plastic is not cut and filed properly and there are bits of threads sticking out of it.

Should i be returning it for a another set?

I've bought at least 20 pairs of Grado's in the last 10 years and have never seen any defects such as the ones described. I must be doing something wrong
rolleyes.gif

Why are people so freeeeekin concerned about what headphones look like rather than how they sound. Am I missing something?
confused.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #30 of 113
HP-1000 = tank

other grados . . . I'd be scared to stick em in my backpack w/ the books and stuff . . . mine had minor cosmetic defects as well . . but I got over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back