Cheap Headphones vs Expensive
Jan 16, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #16 of 24
It's not because they look similar that they sound similar.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #18 of 24
See clausdk advice here.

Jan 16, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #19 of 24
I am curious to know how many of you (if any at all) who have higher end headphones (DT880/990, AKG Q/K 701/2's, HD600/650, HifiMan 400's, etc) have replaced their mid/expensive cans with a less expensive headphones under $100? It doesn't have to be that you have "replaced" your headphones but rather found a cheaper pair that suits you just as good.

Yes (and I've gone beyond the K701 and HD 580/600 too) - still enjoy many headphones that cost less. All comes down to preference like Mal said - they all sound more or less different, and I basically just get whatever I want to listen to; price is a secondary consideration. I can enjoy myself just as much with my TBSE or MV1 (both were $50) as I can with my RS-1 or ESP/950, depending on what I'm in the mood for. I like having many different choices. However...

Don't go with many cheap headphones. That's what I did and now I have 12 headphones I'm not satisfied with but don't want to sell. It's much more sensible to get one mid-fi headphone rather than five low-fi ones. I thought the different flavors deal would work but not when you've compared them to a mid-fi headphone. No matter what, you'll probably find glaring flaws in the cheap stuff.

This is also really sensible and good advice. Of course I just wrote basically the opposite opinion (As someone with 11 headphones - maybe it's missing that last one that has us not agreeing (oh wait, I technically have 16 pairs...right)), but this is still really good advice. By and large I think that the whole "let's have different lenses" thing is only fun when you have one "lens" you really like - if that makes sense. I couldn't really enjoy having 4-6 headphones when I wasn't absolutely taken with one of them, but after finding "the one" I've actually gone off and bought 10 more pairs of headphones to compliment it. And I don't have an issue with any of them, I'm quite satisfied across the board, and don't feel like I'm overloaded on bread (if that expression makes sense here).

So basically what I'd say is, know what you're getting into with the hi-fi options like the K701 or Beyers or whatever else, and decide if that's something you want in your life. There's a lot of good headphones out there, and there is probably more than one pair that will align with your personal preferences (and they may not even be similar sounding or measuring cans - I know most of mine aren't), I don't think you should be relegated to either exclusively expensive or exclusively cheap to find satisfaction. Again, just go with what sounds good to you - if you really enjoy some $20 generic on-ears, that's fantastic, but if you really enjoy some $300 on-ears, that's also fantastic. It's the "really enjoy" part that makes it fantastic.

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:
Yes (and I've gone beyond the K701 and HD 580/600 too) - still enjoy many headphones that cost less. All comes down to preference like Mal said - they all sound more or less different, and I basically just get whatever I want to listen to; price is a secondary consideration. I can enjoy myself just as much with my TBSE or MV1 (both were $50) as I can with my RS-1 or ESP/950, depending on what I'm in the mood for. I like having many different choices. However...

For me it's not about complimenting a higher end pair of headphones since I don't have any but the HTF600's, M50's, and DT770 pro 80's (just returned these). Of course it would be much easier if I had a store that allowed me to audition certain cans so it leaves me with no choice but to read up about them and take a gamble. It all started about 2 years ago when I was looking for a pair of headphones I stumbled upon a thread on this forum made by "Dsnuts" raving about the HTF600's which I bought. I can't complain about them except for the fact they broke on me which led me back to this forum, only this time I'm exploring deeper.

It's funny though that after reading these forums so much I can't help but think of certain usernames instead of the actual name of the headphones. (TdockweilerProDJ100's, Dsnuts HTF600's JVCS500's, Takstar PurpleAngel pro 80's)

Quote:
See clausdk advice here.

This has me wondering how many people prefer these to the DT880's.

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #21 of 24
I own the Q701, and on occasion, I'll pull out the Numark Red Wave, just so I can hear the bass more, or jam out to some dubstep. Same goes with the Sony XB500. Sometimes, I might want an emphasis on a certain part of a song, and that's why I collect all kinds of headphones. :) it's not that any particular pair of headphones is bad, not in the slightest, it's just that there is possibly a set of headphones better for the type of music you listen to. Anyway, that's what I think.

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #22 of 24
For me it's not about complimenting a higher end pair of headphones since I don't have any but the HTF600's, M50's, and DT770 pro 80's (just returned these). Of course it would be much easier if I had a store that allowed me to audition certain cans so it leaves me with no choice but to read up about them and take a gamble. It all started about 2 years ago when I was looking for a pair of headphones I stumbled upon a thread on this forum made by "Dsnuts" raving about the HTF600's which I bought. I can't complain about them except for the fact they broke on me which led me back to this forum, only this time I'm exploring deeper.

I'd say exploring is the right path - you won't know if you don't go. I think a higher-end pair of headphones would probably be an upgrade in some ways over what you have, but I don't think you should expect *massive* improvements (beyond the potential for them to align better to your personal preferences of course); if that makes sense. There was a comic a while ago about "what I expected from $500 headphones" versus "what I got from $500 headphones" - was pretty accurate, and funny. :)

Also thought the point about specific users and their cans was pretty spot-on, haha!

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #23 of 24
Simple answer, quantities VS quality

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #24 of 24
I've never really replaced expensive headphones with cheaper ones, and to be honest, never found headphones under $100 compete with those at the higher end.

However, I did end up buying another pair of IEMs, priced much lower than the ones I was already using, because I was missing the fun sound my earlier IEMs were providing. Now I use them both, depending on the mood.

Still, as others have said, its a matter of enjoying the sound, and also, a matter of price to performance. At the low end, a $200 headphone can be twice as better as a $100 one.
At the high end, minor changes and enhancements command really high prices, so its not necessary that a $1k headphone will sound twice as better than a $500 one. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back