Cheap headphone amp vs a higher priced headphone amp
Jun 8, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #16 of 34
Your getting an amp free. What's the issue? Tubes? There are a lot of people (me included) who think the music sounds more realistic and enjoyable through tubes. Hybrid design is the best of both designs. The value of SS with the sound of tubes.

Ask a guitarist why they still use tube amps. If they are good enough to produce music, why aren't they good enough to re-produce it?

Jun 8, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #17 of 34
I'm having a tough time finding reviews for K701 + Millett Hybrid. A lot of them recommend minimax or max. If anyone has links to any reviews for those pair, please post link. Particularly one that is similar to the amp I posted.

Jun 8, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #18 of 34

A SS amp is a better proposition than tubes which suffer from all sorts of weird and wonderful problems,including Heat Noise Hum bad Tubes etc,this plus the fact that a lot of tube amps do not suit some low impedance phones very well.

A good SS amp will not cost much and requires no maintainance and will give you excellent sound.

Jun 8, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #20 of 34

Quote:

A SS amp is a better proposition than tubes which suffer from all sorts of weird and wonderful problems,including Heat Noise Hum bad Tubes etc,this plus the fact that a lot of tube amps do not suit some low impedance phones very well.

A good SS amp will not cost much and requires no maintainance and will give you excellent sound.

and what about hybrids? I heard they're as good as SS for driving low impedance cans.

Quote:
K701 sounds just about as good with the Millett Hybrids as these headphones sound (whether it be the original Millett Hybrid with Diamond Buffers, MAX and MiniMAX - these are EXACTLY the same design with built-in PSU and diamond buffers, just different sizes).

Thanks! If the sound signature isn't right for me, I could always sell it, but if my dad sees me selling it, he'll think I'm being irresponsible with my purchases (if I do it many times, he'll get really angry). To you guys it's called trying new things until it fits your preference, to my dad it's being irresponsible lmao.

Oh, my EMU 0404 USB arrived today. one down, two more to go (amp and headphone).

Jun 12, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #21 of 34
Stand on your own.  You are getting good advice, here.  I am a father of grown "children".  That's a good amp, if the price is right.

Jun 12, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #23 of 34
I purchased a Millet SSHT from a fellow Head-Fi'er for a good price. It sounds excellent and works surprisingly well with the 70x. I just picked up a LDMKIII so PM me your email address and, if you want it, I'll pass along the amp to you for a good deal.

Peace,

Ross

Jun 12, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #24 of 34
$320 for K702 and Millet Hybrid sounds like a pretty decent deal.  I'm pretty new to head-fi and when I was shopping for my amp in the for sale forum I was pretty hesitant about DIY amp, cuz I can't tell the build quality.  There are a few guys who build amps with pretty good reputation though, like Mr X, so if the amp is built by one of those guys they are at least as good, and probably better, than the those cheap amps build by some company.

Jun 13, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #25 of 34

Quote:

Now how should I go about arguing this case?

This is very simple. Stand up. Have a spine. Buy the amp you want.

It is not your position to explain or justify to anyone. Be your own person. Make your own decisions.

This is not life or death, it's hobby and entertainment. If daddy does not agree then tough luck for daddy.

I could go on but hopefully you will have got my drift by now.

Jun 14, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #26 of 34
$160 for the amp and $160 for K701 sounds like a good deal, you might as well get it to try it out. It should sound pretty awesome anyway. When your buying used stuff like that you can always resell it and loose less than $50 to shipping so the cost of trying out that equipment isn't large at all. With those prices you could probably sell them separately and not loose much money at all. Basically you're trading another person money for the equipment and can always trade back to another member, it's not like paying a company money that you will never get back.

If you don't want to fight your dad and he is en electrical engineer who will always believe tubes=old then solid state amps can sound just as good. They just have a different sound signature and it is really a decision for you to make from your experience at canjam. DIY or china is the best way to go for amps. You get the same components for half the price of high end brands and the sound is the same eg. matrix m-stage. You could always just get the K701 and wait for a deal on a ss amp used.

If you hadn't gone to canjam then I think there would be more debate but you know what your getting yourself into what tubes sound like. I wish I could go to an event like that, I'm just slowly building up to better equipment.

Jun 14, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #27 of 34
I'm no longer following this thread (see DIY Solid-State amp for K70x). I'm planning on building a M3 amp with my dad, and maybe the σ11 and ε12. This'll be a good opportunity for me to learn more about this subject. In fact it would be my first dad-son non-school related project
tongue.gif
 I'll be salvaging parts to save up on costs. I'm hoping for a group buy for these PCB's, Alps RK27 "Blue Velvet" 50K, power transformers, and enclosures as these costs the most. I would probably need at least a hundred people interested.

Jun 15, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #29 of 34
No disrespect to your dad just because you are older does not always mean wiser. I'm sure he's knows a lot of info in other departments though. I knew an older higly educated guy who told me that tubes were inferior but this guy who was an intelligent engineer was in no way an audiophile.

Don't listen to these older guys who grew up with tubes and feel they are outdated. They are not well informed about the audio world usually even if they mean well and good people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back