Cheap, CHEAP Headphones for Movies and Online Streaming?
Dec 5, 2010 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

etragedy

New Head-Fier
I know this is kinda an out of place question around here, but I'm looking for the best money can buy (< $30) for casual movie watching and online streaming.

Sound, comfort, and isolation ( I have roomates) are my priorities. These would be staying at home and used for their ease of access (sitting on my desk). I went through ljokerl's thread on headphones and I think I picked out a couple of what seem to be the best for me:

Coby CV-185 - $10

JVC HA-S700 - $30

Is there much of a sound difference between these two? Has anyone tried both? It was hard to compare them from ljokerl's reviews because they are different price brackets. I realize that some of the open sets have better sound for the money i.e. PortaPro, but I need the isolation. Is there any other bang for buck cans that ljokerl's review is missing and that I should take a look at?

Thanks for reading.

Dec 5, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 9
Maxell DHP-II would be the best bet. The isolation isn't the greatest, but as long as people are not within 10 feet, it should be OK. They're also very comfortable.

Dec 5, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the replies, I've actually had the fortune of being able to extensively listen to the HD202. I found it to be alright, but kinda distant. Does the 201 sound better? Also, does anyone know how the 202 sound in comparison to the two sets listed in OP?

Regarding the DHP-II, I cant seem to find them for under $40. 

Dec 6, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 9
Most reviews have the HD201s sounding better (more "audiophile", i.e. balanced/flat frequency) than the HD202. Other than that I can't provide any input, sorry.

Dec 6, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Most reviews have the HD201s sounding better (more "audiophile", i.e. balanced/flat frequency) than the HD202. Other than that I can't provide any input, sorry.

I did some of my own research and found this to be pretty accurate. The HD202 seem to have more bass (albeit muddy) and that seems like it would be better for action in movies i.e. explosions.

The Coby CV-185 seem to have really good reviews around here. Since they are half the price at only $10 i guess I'll have give them a whirl. Unless someone can help me justify spending an extra $10-20 on another set with clearly superior sound quality.

Dec 6, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #9 of 9
I don't quite understand. Are you pointing out that I can save $0.03? $39.97 = $40 in my book. Unless I'm missing something that would make the DHP-II cheaper than that in the link.

Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VSBPEG/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A3LJ5WMKNRFKQS

Quote:
Regarding the DHP-II, I cant seem to find them for under $40. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back