Cheap amps that can drive AKG K701
Feb 23, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #31 of 52
I'll probably draw the wrath of the headphones gods here for this post, but I just tried my JDS Labs based CMoy with an external 12V battery pack with my K702 and it drives them with some authority and sounds good. I think I paid $45 on ebay for the amp and bought a 8 cell AA battery holder to power it with the external power jack. So as a temporary solution this is not bad idea. (I've got an M^3 and an Indeed and a Bravo and sure the M^3 is way better but I could listen to the CMoy).

Feb 23, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #32 of 52
I see you crossed it off the list... but the RW Amp1 does a decent job with the K701's, much better than the price would suggest. For $60-$80 more (used) you can't go wrong with the Corda Headfive. Dynamite amp for under $200. I used both of these head to head with the V8P and my K701's, and both were very nice and only slightly behind the $400 V8P that I ultimately settled on. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Amp 1 and Headfive as budget amps for the K701.

Feb 23, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #33 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have posted this before, but once again. check out the difference between HD600 and K701, and their impedance vs frequency chart.

graphCompare.php

The graph is self explanatory but it shows that HD600 will perform best in 300-600ohms impedance setting, while K701 at 64-120ohms.

I'd recommend Musiland 02 as well.

Yes, I understand however the specs on the Musiland 02 doesn't have one for 300+ ohms
redface.gif
Naturally, you would plug the HD600 in to the high output (High/Med Impedance) port but for the case of the K701 which is low impedance but difficult to drive, it may be beneficial to plug it into the same port?

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #34 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsuioku /img/forum/go_quote.gif

At 90mW, will the uDAC have enough juice for the K701s?

Well, it's not the best be all and end all solution for the K701 obviously, but considering the budget and how it can extend to being a solid source afterwards, I feel that it's about the best you can do for the price. IMO they have very good synergy (this IMO is very important thing you have to consider; power of course matters but it shouldn't be ALL about power! Especially at this pricepoint) with each other and doesn't sound like they lack that much power at all (and I've heard some "underpowered" ones in the past).

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsuioku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I understand however the specs on the Musiland 02 doesn't have one for 300+ ohms
redface.gif
Naturally, you would plug the HD600 in to the high output (High/Med Impedance) port but for the case of the K701 which is low impedance but difficult to drive, it may be beneficial to plug it into the same port?

"Low impedance but difficult to drive" does not mean anything (unless the headphone sensitivity is really low i.e. HE-5 which is 25ohms at 87 db). Driving a headphone depends on its impedance (over the frequency range) and sensitivity. K701 with a flat impedance of 64ohms and a sensitivity of 105db is easy to drive.

Musiland 02 has a max output of 120ohms on its first headphone jack, which makes it perfect for K701. Hd600 on the other hand will sound anemic and dark from the same output.

Feb 23, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #36 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a $100 headphone that's really a good match for the 701?

From My experience with the AKG K701/702, round 100.00 plus shipping, available from Audiophile China is the C&C Box+. It features four independent buffers coupled to an AD823 op-amp which provides plenty of current, voltage, and power to drive the AKG with a bit of headroom (power reserve). Dynamic passages are driven well switches for bass, sound-stage, and gain.

Feb 23, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #37 of 52
I don't have any experience with these but the HiFiman EF2 and Maverick D1 are very well liked DAC/AMP combos around here and they both can drive some nice headphones. As far as the K701 is concerned, I heard the EF2 was pretty decent with it and the Maverick did ok as well. The only problem I see is both are out of your price range at 170 and 200+ new. Maybe you might want to try one of those new sound cards that have built in amps if you have a PC. They aren't the greatest thing in the world(apparently) but they do drive things decently from what I hear.

Feb 24, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Low impedance but difficult to drive" does not mean anything (unless the headphone sensitivity is really low i.e. HE-5 which is 25ohms at 87 db). Driving a headphone depends on its impedance (over the frequency range) and sensitivity. K701 with a flat impedance of 64ohms and a sensitivity of 105db is easy to drive.

Musiland 02 has a max output of 120ohms on its first headphone jack, which makes it perfect for K701. Hd600 on the other hand will sound anemic and dark from the same output.

It's actually 105 dB/V which normalizes to 93dB/mW but still... the HE-5 will require more current and power.
Just noticed an error in my math so re-evaluating my options again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycalgary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
100mw into 25 ohms isn't that a lot less than what is recomended to drive K701/2?

Check out my blurb in post 25 on power.
As for sensitivity, you need to double the power in order to increase SPL by 3dB. With the HE-5 at 87dB the K701 at 93dB, 4x the power is required to drive the HE-5 at the same volume.

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #43 of 52
The Millett "Starving Student" Hybrid powers this cans with ease, it's solid state class A output stage is capable of dropping around 240mW into 62 ohms.

cheers!

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #45 of 52
here is a consideration for you. a pro audio amp. generally not as good as 'regular' headphone amps, but like any amps, some are better than others. in particular, slightly older ones are made for the hard-to-drive headphones of the day

i like a samson q5. discontinued, can be found new for 100$-ish still, and ebayed used for 50$. sounds better than any cmoy i have had(and a cmoy will never power a k701 properly), but not as warm as a tube amp. mine stays on my desktop so my whole family can use it and i dont worry about my nicer amps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back