Cheap amps that can drive AKG K701
Feb 21, 2010 at 7:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

Tsuioku

100+ Head-Fier
I know this is blasphemy but can't really afford much at the moment. I promise that I will get something more worthy once I get my career going (ie just graduated with no job and got tons of student loans to pay back)

Back on topic, trying to see what's available in the used market for ~100 that can drive the K701 (budget especially low due to high cost of shipping to Canada). Unlike most previous threads, it does NOT have to be portable. Sure it will be nice but definitely not necessary.

Music-wise, I listen to a wide range from Pop, R&B and Trance to Instrumentals, Vocals and Classical. The former for motivation/enjoyment and the latter for relaxation/chilling.

Source will most likely be from my AMP3 Pro.1 (Will the hiss affect things?) or Fuze v2. I can consider my laptop but don't think a USB powered DAC/AMP will have enough juice and if powered externally, the idea of yet another adapter doesn't sound too appealing.

Some amps that I have noted that should work from my research are:
Headphone: Little Dot I+ Hybrid (800mW @ 32ohm), Bravo/Indeed Class A Hybrid (Indeed rep claims 5V swing with 16-600ohm loads with no current railing),
RW Audio Amp1 (?) (Ambiguous description and reviews, warmer amp may be more beneficial as an all rounder)
Portable: C&C XO (1W @ ?), Mini3 (300mW @ 33ohm), Audiotrak Imamp (250mW @ 32ohm)

Under Consideration:
AMP: Shanling PH100 (will have to see how low this gets used... How does this compare against M3, Dynalo and CKKIII?)
DAC/AMP (Researching): AUNE Mini USB DAC MK2 (or Amp only?),
Nuforce uDAC (80mW @ 16ohm), Musiland Monitor 02 US (100mW @ 32ohm) (Low output, DAC not needed as a source)

Which of the above would you recommend the most? Any others that I should consider?

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #5 of 52
I quite doubt there's anything going for 100 bucks, used or otherwise, that can drive K701's well. Perhaps try going into the DIY route?

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #6 of 52
You can have a look at the Indeed Tube amplifier.
I don't have it for long and simply bought it out of curiosity.
I'm quite impressed with this little amp - it sounds quite good and has enough grunt to make the K701 sing.
I'll write a bit more after burn in and some tube rolling.

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #7 of 52
AudioTrak imAmp.

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #10 of 52
av123 x-head. pretty powerful SS amp that can be found used for close to $100

shanling ph100. very powerful SS amp with a warm signature (bass boosted) for $250 shipped (cheaper used)

Feb 21, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #11 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
look for an M3 with bass boost.

You mean mini3 don't you?

Feb 21, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #13 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by jawang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
shanling ph100. very powerful SS amp with a warm signature (bass boosted) for $250 shipped (cheaper used)

This. The PH100 is 1 of the best value amps around.

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #14 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Source is more important than amp. Make sure your source is up to standard 1st.

With phones like the 701, both are important.

I doubt any $100 amp has the power to drive them properly.

THe RW look like marketing BS. Their site name drops all the big name phones, many of which are very hard to drive, and claim theirs out punches an $9K integrated amp.

THe fact that quote was taken from 6 moons, tells me all i need to know about 6 moons too.

Feb 21, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #15 of 52
A lot of people seem to be happy with the AUNE USB/DAC amp for their AKG K701. At least here in Europe
wink.gif
. A little bit more expensive than $100 though.

Rock Grotto Audio Forum - For Headphones - Headphone Amps - Amplifiers - X-Can V2 - Musical Fidelity - headphone Discussion - Amplifier Discussion - DIY - Amplifier Kits - Projects - SCHA - Sennheiser - Beyer - Grado - Audio Technica - Headphone amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back