Cheap Amp to properly drive AKG K702 (<$400)
Dec 28, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #17 of 30
I've not listened to the cube but I have been pretty impressed with Matrix's amps in general (m-stage, mini-i, quattro). I would expect it to perform well. 

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #18 of 30

Quote:
Could you post a link to the matrix cube? I heard those are extraordinary

Are you thinking of the Lehmann Black Cube and Lovely cube clone? The m-stage is also a clone of the same circuit. 

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #19 of 30
Dec 28, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #20 of 30

Quote:
I've read about them before here, they sound like a very good value, do you have them with K702 and how do they sound?

Sorry to get back so late. I was inquiring about buying k702 and asked about an amplifier. I was told the mkII, NuForce Icon, and some O2 amp are good with the k702. Also I remember that the dac could be less than $100 and still work great. Also k702 and k701 are basically same headphone, sound is same. You might be able to find more stuff searching for k701 amps since 701 seem to be more popular.

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #21 of 30

Quote:
Sorry to get back so late. I was inquiring about buying k702 and asked about an amplifier. I was told the mkII, NuForce Icon, and some O2 amp are good with the k702. Also I remember that the dac could be less than $100 and still work great. Also k702 and k701 are basically same headphone, sound is same. You might be able to find more stuff searching for k701 amps since 701 seem to be more popular.

No problem, thanks for the help!

Dec 28, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #22 of 30
Isnt' the Zana Deux a transformer coupled amp (i know at the very least it has a low impedence output which mitigates the problem I'm talking about)? Those usually work brilliantly with the 702... 

I like the sound from some of the inexpensive OTLs, but the electrical damping and high gain is not ideal. At this price point, there are no transformer coupled tube amps that I know of - which leaves you with good solid state designs as your only real option, IMO. Matrix M-stage/Lovely Cube, being very high on the list. Audio-GD NFB-12, Fun or NFB-5, Yulong D100 (at the upper ends)... The Wire for DIY, maybe the 02, though i am unsure of how much juice it has... 

The first one was not (I believe). The new one is.

The Singlepower is 20 ohm so that helps.

Dec 28, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:
I just got a new AKG K702, out of my macbook air, it sounds quite bad, my in ears sound better than it, but I know that's because the AKG are a lot harder to drive.

AKG K702 are low 62Ω impedance cans

Matrix M-Stage/LovelyCube is way over-rated and over-hyped.  I know it doesn't pair all that well with 32Ω impedance Grados.
Consider the solid state Dynalo which was designed for Grados and is available as DIY or built by Acoustic Fun/Sheer Audio.  Or if you want the Cadillac of dynalos look at Headamp's $900 GS-1.

Dynalos pair very well with low impedence cans.  But is certainly no slouch with higher impedance cans.  It is for the most part ignored around here because it is made with discrete components - no opamps to roll - no tube rolling.  No amount of rolling is going to change the fundamental design of an amp.  The dynalo doesn't need to be modified because it is that good.

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #25 of 30
Funny, my experience with the m-stage and grados was quite different. I thought they played very nicely together, clean separation, good control over the bass, and no hiss or hum.

The Dynalo is a great amp design though, no doubt. Finding one in the OP's budget will be harder. Some used ones here and there... but most commercially available ones are quite expensive, and it didn't sound like the OP was looking for DIY. 

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #26 of 30
There are several posts by Grado owners in the M-stage threads that refute your opinion.  As would I!
smile.gif

The M-stage is a good amp as are most that are mentioned around here.  There is no trash around here!
But, don't get caught up in the hype that's all I'm saying.  There are better alternatives for low impedance cans like the K701/2.

Original Dynalo design
http://gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/projects/showproj.php?file=gilmore3_prj.htm

DIY Dynalo info
http://www.djgardner.com/headphone/gilmore/

Ready made Dynalo $300 like mine
wink_face.gif

http://www.acoustic-fun.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=62

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #27 of 30
M-stage works very well with my K702 but i will suggest audio GD C2.2  more expensive , being a C2.1 owner (the previous version) and a former m-stage owner and compared both with the sames opamp , my C2.1 is a better amp ^^ . Not a huge huge margin but noticeable for me .  

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #28 of 30

Quote:
There are several posts by Grado owners in the M-stage threads that refute your opinion.  As would I!
smile.gif

Differences of opinion are a good thing. There are a lot of people in those same threads who agree with me as well. :) 

Quote:
The M-stage is a good amp as are most that are mentioned around here.  There is no trash around here!
But, don't get caught up in the hype that's all I'm saying.  There are better alternatives for low impedance cans like the K701/2.

I'm not really prone to hype. I make the recommendation based on my own listening experiences and preferences. But I agree, there are many very good options out there for the K702 - this is just one readily available, capable amp that includes a reasonable USB dac, solving two needs for the OP in one tidy, well priced, package.  

Quote:

Very interesting. I did not know that there were any Dynalo's commercially available under $500. I might have to buy one to try one of these days. Thanks for the heads up. 

Jan 1, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #30 of 30
I'm also in the same boat as OP. I enjoy the sound of my K702's through my Rx, I want to do them justice and get a desktop setup that can push them to their full potential. I plan on getting an amp and DAC eventually but I want to have some wiggle room so to speak when it comes to upgrades. I am not sure which I want first. My original plan was DACMagic -> Schiit Vahalla but both of those upgrades would be down the road a bit. Would it be a waste to get something such as the uDAC and a solid amp and just upgrade later? I enjoy tubes although I am getting mixed signals from searching. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back