Cheap Amp to properly drive AKG K702 (<$400)
Dec 28, 2011 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

silverkaze

100+ Head-Fier
I just got a new AKG K702, out of my macbook air, it sounds quite bad, my in ears sound better than it, but I know that's because the AKG are a lot harder to drive. Knowing nothing about headphone amps myself, I am looking for a cheap (preferably <$300, might be able to push it to $400) amp that can properly drive the AKG K702, any experience with them and any recommendations?
Help appreciated!

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 30
Matrix M-stage. Hands down, the best budget amp for the K70X series.

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #6 of 30
I sold mine (in retrospect, I shouldn't have), in preparation for going with a balanced set up for my primary rig ... but it is a very clean amp - I'm actually considering getting a new one for my secondary/bedroom set up (with the 702s). Solid performance, no added distortion (a problem in the lower end for these cans with some amps, especially OTL tube amps). 

They make a version now with a basic USB dac, or you could add a music streamer II or skeleton dac or something down the line if you want to clean up the signal further.

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #8 of 30
I don't like the E9, mostly just due to the output voltage. It ends up having a similar problem with many OTL tube amps of insufficient damping in the bass. It's not bad, but the M-stage is just a huge leap better.

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #9 of 30
n (a problem in the lower end for these cans with some amps, especially OTL tube amps). 

/quote]

I hate to see such a generalized statement because OTL amps will run the K series very nicely but you need to put some money into one. The budget amps are more indicative of the statement but listen to a Zana Deux or a Singlepower and you'd change your mind. IMO

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #10 of 30
Isnt' the Zana Deux a transformer coupled amp (i know at the very least it has a low impedence output which mitigates the problem I'm talking about)? Those usually work brilliantly with the 702... 

I like the sound from some of the inexpensive OTLs, but the electrical damping and high gain is not ideal. At this price point, there are no transformer coupled tube amps that I know of - which leaves you with good solid state designs as your only real option, IMO. Matrix M-stage/Lovely Cube, being very high on the list. Audio-GD NFB-12, Fun or NFB-5, Yulong D100 (at the upper ends)... The Wire for DIY, maybe the 02, though i am unsure of how much juice it has... 

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #12 of 30
as I said, the m-stage now has a new version with a basic USB dac in it. That sounds like it would be ideal for your needs. 
http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=36&product_id=108

Alternately, the music streamer II is quite good. Bonus here - you open yourself up to different amps down the line. 
http://www.amazon.com/HRT-Music-Streamer-II-Resolution/dp/B0038O4UFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325100261&sr=8-1

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #14 of 30
As far as I know, the V1 and V2 refer to the opamps used in the amplification path (627APMOD). The one I linked at TamAudio above - is not really either (thought the amplification is probably a V1 signal).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back