CHART | Balanced Armature-Based In-Ear Monitors & Technical Characteristics
Jul 6, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #47 of 132
Quote:
I don't think the Gui Ling CX8 uses TWFK, since Master Xiao told me it wasn't possible to reshell a TWFK into a CX8.

The UM Zeus isn't listed, which is 2x Sonion 3300, 2x DTEC, 2x Sonion 4400 (total of 10).

Well, that's what it looked like in pictures, two TWFK units and two DTEC units. I'll take it out for now. There is a variant TWFK (not sold on Mouser/Digikey but readily available to those that buy in bulk, I think, don't remember the model number) that is mid/high rather than low/high (30017), basically it changes the impedance of the FK driver to make it more suitable for multi-driver applications. Not sure if that's what he uses. Anyways, I'll take it out for now.

The UM Zeus/Poseidon/Perseus are one-offs created for MaoDi, and not intended for the market, so that's why I left them off the list.

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #52 of 132
Quote:
  Great thread! Might wanna add Aurisonics ASG-2 and AS-2 to the table (both hybrids).

Will do.

Quote:
  Would you mind sharing the Google Docs link? Just make sure you make it uneditable. I'd like to save this to my Google Drive (really a link).

How does that work? Currently, the sheet is set to be accessible only to collaborators, as only they have permission to view and edit the sheet. If I make it public, will the collaborators still be the only ones that have access to edit?

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #53 of 132
Quote:

Will do.

How does that work? Currently, the sheet is set to be accessible only to collaborators, as only they have permission to view and edit the sheet. If I make it public, will the collaborators still be the only ones that have access to edit?

Correct. In your Google Docs spreadsheet, click on Share. Under Who Has access, the first one should be labeled Private. Click on Change and then choose "Anyone with a link". Then make sure that you leave "Allow anyone to edit" unchecked.

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #59 of 132
It looks like you may have added fuel to the fire re: the BA transducer in an Earsonics SM1 - looks to be a TWFK of some sort. Nice to have the driver from the $1300 AKG3003i in a lowly $99 headphone. (Maybe since it was made if France, it can be unconventional)

I know someone wants to bury me in the Chunnel now
biggrin.gif

EDIT: I didn't see the cutaway above of what looks like the SM1 cracked open - that is definitely a dual something - it is a 2 way driver, hence the crossover - you simply cannot use a 2X crossover with a single driver (I mean, and use both signals to drive it) - makes no sense

Apr 25, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #60 of 132
Quote:
It looks like you may have added fuel to the fire re: the BA transducer in an Earsonics SM1 - looks to be a TWFK of some sort. Nice to have the driver from the $1300 AKG3003i in a lowly $99 headphone. (Maybe since it was made if France, it can be unconventional)

I know someone wants to bury me in the Chunnel now
biggrin.gif

EDIT: I didn't see the cutaway above of what looks like the SM1 cracked open - that is definitely a dual something - it is a 2 way driver, hence the crossover - you simply cannot use a 2X crossover with a single driver (I mean, and use both signals to drive it) - makes no sense

I try to keep discussion out of this thread to mainly keep it to people who want to submit entries, but I think you should rethink what it means to use a specific transducer in an earphone. There are basically three reasons why people choose one driver over another:
(1) Size --- a dual driver such as the TWFK is tiny, and it might hit a certain target curve just as well; that's why the K3003 uses it, because it fits within a small footprint.
(2) Price --- the TWFK alone is about $60, depending on who you get it from and at what volumes, it might lower to $40, but it's not a cheap driver; compared to using an ED and CI together, it's still more expensive; there are also custom-order TWFK drivers around, and the one used in the K3003 is likely custom-order, whereas the one used in the SM1 is probably not as expensive and widely available. The fact that there are so many price and performance variations between the TWFK in the K3003 and the one in the SM1 tells you that it is maybe a little useless to say "oh this one uses a TWFK, or that one uses a TWFK", as they all have different response targets in mind, specifically with their choice of crossover.
(3) Characteristics --- certain receivers have certain specific characteristics, i.e. mechanical resonance; BA drivers are inherently non-linear, and they have their unique quirks. For example, the WBFK portion of the TWFK has a mechanical resonance in the treble region; some people like having this response as it gives overt clarity to the sound, others not so much. However, all TWFK drivers, cheap or expensive, have this property, and it has been a hallmark of the "TWFK sound".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back