CHART | Balanced Armature-Based In-Ear Monitors & Technical Characteristics
Apr 25, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #61 of 132
Didn't mean at all to imply that the TWFK driver in a 3003i and a SM1 was the same unit, but just had similar properties. The range of headphones that use it for mids/highs is legion - and they all have their pecularities. Like a cook that starts with a common cut of beef, what he does with it (spices, heat, sides) makes it different to the taste than what the next cook would create. There was a bit of a row earlier where it was proposed that the SM1 was a single armature can that was being fed a split signal from a crossover. Your chart reflects the opposing view - that we have a flavor of TWFK inside. And as such, considering the high cost of the dual driver, the SM1 could be considered a value at its current pricing. 

That said, in the spirit of adding something to the above chart - you still show the TF10 as being in production. If I was supposed to PM that to you, I apologize.

Oct 1, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #66 of 132
Amazing thread. Kudos to all who helped fill in this chart.

If I may say, the miracle uses a TWFK for highs, not a DFK..
As seen from here:
www.head-fi.org/t/524158/unique-melody-miracle-review-appreciation-thread/135#post_8358650

Oct 1, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #67 of 132
  If I may say, the miracle uses a TWFK for highs, not a DFK..
As seen from here: www.head-fi.org/t/524158/unique-melody-miracle-review-appreciation-thread/135#post_8358650

It's not really an important point. A TWFK is merely a vented FK paired with an unvented WBFK. The FK and WBFK are essentially identical, except for armature stiffness and coil impedance, both affecting low frequency headroom. For the Miracle, I'd actually call it a "DWFK", which would be two WBFKs put together, but whatever, TWFK, DFK, DWFK, they're essentially the same. The important thing is the serial number that comes afterward, which helps identify coil impedance and vented/unvented character, but UM scratches those identifiers off their drivers.

Oct 1, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #68 of 132
DWFK actually stands for Dual Woofer FK - it based on two vented FK drivers. DFK is simply dual non-vented FK. DFK is only available in high impedance >100 Ohm.

except for armature stiffness and coil impedance, both affecting low frequency headroom.

Well that can basically change the sound by a big margin so it is actually important which driver is it. What's most important is though it's a type of damping.

I will be opening Miracles in a few days - I will be able to tell more.

Oct 1, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #69 of 132
piotrus-g would know better than me --- so please refer to his explanation
normal_smile .gif

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #71 of 132
DWFK actually stands for Dual Woofer FK - it based on two vented FK drivers. DFK is simply dual non-vented FK. DFK is only available in high impedance >100 Ohm.

Well that can basically change the sound by a big margin so it is actually important which driver is it. What's most important is though it's a type of damping.

I will be opening Miracles in a few days - I will be able to tell more.

Will be curious to know how it goes. Please update here :)

Oct 2, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #74 of 132

Wow, that looks remarkably similar to how their own published graph looks...

I know ^^

The only problem is that it is measured as "shallow insertion depth" as acrylic IEMs are in most cases impossible to set properly in th coupler. At the reference point it would look quite different - smaller peak at highs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back