CHART | Balanced Armature-Based In-Ear Monitors & Technical Characteristics
Apr 26, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #106 of 132

I don't understand the GoldenEar target flat line being there.  Why is it flat?  Sean Olive has a compensation graph for what I believe to be perceived neutral from the ear, and it's not a flat line.

That graph has had the  GE target 'subtracted' from it (i.e. a 'compensated' graph), hence tje target is now a flat line.

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #107 of 132
  Was the SWFK out just recently? The best tweeter I heard from Knowles was the WBFK but that was a few years back.

I did not find any tech info on swfk. Do you have a pdf?

No publicly available data, but check "Phase 2" here: http://media.digikey.com/pdf/PCNs/Knowles/PCN20131011_TransferReceivers_KEP.pdf

It definitely exists, and I'm sure that KA applications engineers will tell clients all about them.

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #109 of 132
Notice how those documents state "Knowles Confidential" 
wink.gif
 (that's why I said "not publicly available")

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #110 of 132
  Did you check JH interview. He said all BA roll off at 10khz & thats true so it has limited range.

NT6 is spec'ed to go to 18khz, and looking at measurements of a couple of sets, it appears to cut off at 17-18 kHz. Curiously enough, the single driver Hidition ear first appears to have better presence in the top octave, as measured.

Since my CK-10 seems very sibilant(I guess sibilance is not the result of extended high range since it's much lower in the spectrum) so I was curious how far the treble goes(but can't say where it rolls off though), and according to AT, it range is 20-15k.  I wonder how far a recording would go?

Anyway, CK10 is from 2007 and has dual BA drivers.  Looks like ER4 goes up to 16K.  In order to pick up nuances and details, I wonder what range though would appear.  Also I think have a headphone that would put out full spectrum with good dynamics(not missing some of the small details) is very important within a range recordings are recorded at.  Not sure what sounds would be in that high frequency area.

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #111 of 132
Ok, so I went thought JHA website and checked out the FR of their iems.

up to JH11, it's 17K

Then the 13 and 16 pros are 20K

lastly, Roxanne is 23K

We know it's not necessary to go beyond human hearing, but I guess it makes the specs look nicer for newer products if you show that it has higher numbers.  
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #117 of 132

Good point.  As I recall, JH talked about the high roll-off beyond a certain Frq.(10K?)  for BA.  Is there BA that doesn't drop drastically at the high end?  Even the ER4 drops drastically around 10K, no?

Nope, the ER4S drops below nominal level somewhere around 15.5khz-16khz.

BA actually can do a bit higher than that, below is the measurement of my diy universal iems I built sometime ago with the RE400 overlayed on top for comparison, a single driver deisgn of course. With a bit of acoustical tweaking they could 17.8khz before dropping below nominal level. I suppose with more electronical tuning the driver can do 20khz.

May 4, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #118 of 132
Check the graph of my fav. over-ear which is an ortho.   I'm curious if I'm getting more details with these because of the linear treble extension.  I don't think separation like the HE-6 is possible with iems though.  I keep getting that tinny high end with BA, and feel like there should be more finer treble that goes beyond it, and I know my HE-6 provides these subtle trebles.  Look at this graph of HE-6

May 4, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #119 of 132
  Nope, the ER4S drops below nominal level somewhere around 15.5khz-16khz.

BA actually can do a bit higher than that, below is the measurement of my diy universal iems I built sometime ago with the RE400 overlayed on top for comparison, a single driver deisgn of course. With a bit of acoustical tweaking they could 17.8khz before dropping below nominal level. I suppose with more electronical tuning the driver can do 20khz.

The hump in the high end is getting close to perceived neutral(Sean Olive), correct?  But, yeah, it extends.  I've seen the Sony XBA-H3 which extend good at the high end also.  But, these are dynamic.  Are there others besides ER4 that extend like the dynamics?

By the way, how are you extending the treble like this?

May 11, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #120 of 132
Are there measurements that show affects of high impedance source on Multi-BA phone output?  I'm wondering if there are anything out there that measures various output impedance sources and multi-BA load with crossovers to show how much the FR skews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back