Changing cable for my AKG K702 - single sided
Oct 22, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #16 of 20
Yesterday, me and my father compared the sound from these K702 with his an mine Sennheiser HD650 with Cardas cable.
His phones was otherwise in standard shape, for mine, I had removed the inside foam, so the drivers are open.
The test was used with decent headphone amps and a own build WM8740 DAC from CD.
The conclusion; There was bigger difference between the bouth HD650, whereas the one with foam had more bass, than it was between the the standard HD650 and K702.
Keep in mind that K702 have just about 30 hours of burn in time behind (and a little damaged driver for the left side), and the HD650´s have probably more than 100 hours.
So I can´t agree that the bass is weak on the K702 (maybe thank´s to the DHC UP-OCC cable?)
As for my K530 with similar DHC cable and with the plastic cover in front of the driver removed, as for the K272HD, the sound is a bit weak in the bass, and with higher treble and not as "full body" as the other one´s, but more appropriate for portable, with higher spl.
k701smile.gif

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #17 of 20

Today I just turned up the volume a bit at my rig and listen to my new-cabled AKG K702, and I must say, that when I listened to Leona Lewis, the sound was quite nice!
I then switched to Christian Walz and then Jennifer Lopez – and I must say I have never listen to such good sound, all categories included!
The sound was´nt warn, nor thin or not even extraordinary big. It was just as listen to a live concert outside, so real and living sound. And the bass is butt kicking, not to much, as in several other phones, just right!
I just shudder and the tears came from my eyes, when I tryed to catch the notes floating around in the air. And my head just coul´nt stop nodding. If this is´nt Nirvana, what is it?
Don´t know how much this will be thanks to the phones, the cable, or my rig with Corda Swing with THS4032 Opamp and Arcam CD192 , also with THS4032 and AD797 and separated ground between signal path and chassi with an 100 Ohm resistor and upsampling and an interconnect cable for $500.
But all I can say is, that this DHC Nucleotide cable from zxamateurcables.com is worth much more than it cost!
Have just bought an Earmax Pro (tube amp), but I can´t imagine it will sounds much better than this!
In comparison, my HD650 with Cardas cable sound flat and boring with the same rig..
My biggest recommendations for both AKG K702 and DHC Nucleotide upgrading cable!

Nov 2, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #18 of 20
DHC does good work. My favorite cable builder on the forums right now actually.

HD650 sounds flat compared to K701? Thats definitely new

Nov 4, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #19 of 20
The difference is just like compare a photo to real life view.
But, it´s all up to what CD listen to, not all of them I´ve listen to sounds that nice! I guess the quality of the recording will play a roll.
Also, I think that the AKG K702 generally having a bigger soundstage, and thanks to the louder treble (flatter range 20 - 20 kzh than HD650), the detail it´s more hearable.  

/ Mikael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back