Champaign, IL (3/14/09) Meet Impression
Mar 16, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #31 of 45
A couple of impressions:

TTVJ FET-A - This is one ballsy headphone amp. I listened to both a pair of Sennheiser HD-600's and Alessandro MS-Pro's on this amp. It was being fed by the Resolution Audio Opus 21 CDP. I listened to Neko Case Fox Confessor Brings the Flood. Even in meet conditions this little amp provided a nice full sound to the HD600's with no bass bloat and a nicely extended treble. There was no evidence that the MS-Pro's were underdriven with this amp. The treble was quite clear with no hint of shrillness, the midrange was quite clear and not overly warm, and the bass had good authority and control. The sound was very clear and detailed. The amp looks much better in person than is conveyed in images. My only quibble is that a nicer looking case would have been nice. But that is a very minor quibble.

I really wanted to compare it to my recently modified AA HPA v1.0 with sigma22 PSU. My initial impressions with the MS-Pro's is the midrange is much fuller on the AA. I am unsure at this point if this indicates a lower-midrange accentuation in the AA or not. I cut the listening short as I was getting some background clicking and popping. I discovered at home the AA does not like being driven from the DACMagic's balanced outputs using an XLR - RCA cable and it was being overdriven. Now using the RCA outs the music is clear and sweet. I need to get the FET-A back to do a proper comparison.

The other nice surprise was the Behringer Ultramatch Pro A/D and D/A converter. Not only is thus a very flexible unit with some excellent functionality (can you say needle drops?), but the headphone amp is really surprisingly good. This makes the monitoring very easy but also increases the functionality of the unit in a budget rig. I did a quick search and it looks like you can pick one up for as little as $130 new!! I may have to experiment with one of these over the summer.

Audio-addict's apuresound recabled balanced HP-2's were another revelation. This was as good as I've heard any HP-1000's sound, including my own HP-1's. I have been waffling on getting them recabled and balanced, but I will be contacting Alex next week. They matched very well with the tweaked Apache, but then again it was tweaked for the HP-2's.

I didn't listen to anything else long enough to form much of an opinion, because as usual I spent much more time talking than listening. But then again that can also be enlightening.

Thanks again to all of the attendees.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kejar31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great pics Jim!

Thanks.

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #33 of 45
Anybody missing this excellent meet or has the fever, Terre Haute will be having their meet this weekend. We'd love the company and always looking for more gear.

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Absorbine_Sr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I spent more time chatting than listening. Old friends, new acquaintances. Music, gear, life in general. It's always great to talk with this bunch.

A_Sr.

In my brief time going to meets, this is always the dilemma - listen to interesting gear or talk to interesting people.

Mar 16, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #35 of 45
There's no dilemma, go to meets for the people, gear is boring
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #36 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's no dilemma, go to meets for the people, gear is boring
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree. Early on, meets were great to hear the different gear but now they are about getting together with other Head-Fiers who have similar interests.

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #37 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by danmagicman7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All I gotta say is..

Do the Duex.

More intelligent insights later.

How did the Zana compare to your Woo 6?

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #38 of 45
Hello All:

This was my first meet, and it was very enjoyable; not only listening to various set-ups, but also visiting with everyone. It was my pleasure to provide the venue(Busey Bank) for the meet, and hope to be asked again in the future to host another meet. Next time, maybe we will have tours of the vault, and give out free samples! HaHaHa Thanks again to Jim for arranging everything for the meet. Lots of fun.

Kindest regards,
van
p.s. Anyone know where you could pick up some R10s!!

Mar 21, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #39 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by vdukeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello All:

This was my first meet, and it was very enjoyable; not only listening to various set-ups, but also visiting with everyone. It was my pleasure to provide the venue(Busey Bank) for the meet, and hope to be asked again in the future to host another meet. Next time, maybe we will have tours of the vault, and give out free samples! HaHaHa Thanks again to Jim for arranging everything for the meet. Lots of fun.

Kindest regards,
van
p.s. Anyone know where you could pick up some R10s!!

I will come over any day for the free samples from the Vault or maybe even for the Papa Dells pizza.

Mar 22, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #41 of 45
Thanks for the great pics, esp. of the individual phones. The pic of the PS-1s just makes me want them more. I wish someone would have put a CD or something next to the FET-A for scale purposes in one of the many pics. It is so deceptively small.

Mar 22, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #42 of 45
Dang! Stacked to the nines with equipment, and what a gorgeous room. I see a couple of familiar faces in that bunch. It was a tie between this meet and the March 21 meet in Terre Haute, wish I could have made both.
What is it with HF'ers and awesome pizza?
Thanks for the great pics.

Mar 22, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #43 of 45
Yeah, they have a very nice turnout. Maybe next time we could combine the two and make it over a weekend so not so much time is taken up with setup and teardown. I still have enough energy to pull an overnighter with this much gear and good people. Add some food and drink, a belly dancer and RSA, it's party on.

Jun 24, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #45 of 45
This is a long shot, but is there anybody in town who can help me solder a new 3.5mm male plug onto my speaker wire? There's a short inside the existing plug that cuts out sound on the right channel. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back