Chair recommendations?
Oct 8, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #31 of 47
Another vote for the Aeron. They're $300-350 used and about $1,000-1,300 new depending on the color and bells/whistles (also you have to wait months if you get a new one). I really like the polished aluminum accents and base which you don't see on most used chairs. If you need a headrest, Engineered Now makes a good one. For the lumbar support, people seem to like the slightly older version to the brand new one. The chair is popular enough that you'll be able to get parts for it decades from now.

Oct 9, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #32 of 47
Another vote for the Aeron. They're $300-350 used and about $1,000-1,300 new depending on the color and bells/whistles (also you have to wait months if you get a new one). I really like the polished aluminum accents and base which you don't see on most used chairs. If you need a headrest, Engineered Now makes a good one. For the lumbar support, people seem to like the slightly older version to the brand new one. The chair is popular enough that you'll be able to get parts for it decades from now.
Yup, built in Detroit like a car. It will last, and the ergonomics is tops. I would get a whole bunch of Aeron for all sitting activities if I could. Much better than a Lazy boy as it will be easier on your back for long period sitting.

Although HM Eames is something I'd get if I had money to burn, I'm content with Aeron with a foot prop. Aeron is much more versatile.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #33 of 47
Ugh- the Aeron dug into my thighs and the lower back support cushion broke. Pandemic was the good reason to finally replace with a Herman Miller Mirra 2 used with all the options. Was $300 and as-new because I found a great used re-seller.

What I really like is the extra support with the mesh option on the back (over the plastic back). What is great about the Mirra is that it is a good blend of task and recliner if you get the full-tilt control. Between the full tilt control with 3-positions and controlling the tilt spring rate, I can tighten up and sit up for more intense work OR loosen up the spring and allow full easy tilt back for comfort and relaxing. The front lip of the seat is adjustable and folds down to make the seat length shorter. I need good back support but also the flexibility to sit in different ways throughout the day to keep from getting stiff or sore. (The V2 is much lighter-weight than the V1, we have both in the house now...but just get the version that you can find in decent shape and with the options of multi-adjustable arms, mesh back, 3-position tilt-control. Hopefully you can find a Mirra V1 $200-$250 or a V2 for $250-$300 where you live.)

Oct 20, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #34 of 47
One thing that I cannot stress enough is to make sure you get your correct size. I mistakenly opted to get the large size because it was the one on heavy discount on Amazon and ultimately, it's just as bad as having a crappy chair.

Jan 17, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #35 of 47
herman miller aeron, refurbished in great condition, or new. As a reference, then you might prefer herman miller mirra, or other models, but herman miller chairs represents the reference as tat 1500$ chair that is so much cheaper than the 300-400$ from ikea. Herman miller is like an 80's porche; modular, spares of everything, the very best performance, and you can sell it for the same price you bought it, or more.

May 23, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #37 of 47
herman miller aeron, refurbished in great condition, or new. As a reference, then you might prefer herman miller mirra, or other models, but herman miller chairs represents the reference as tat 1500$ chair that is so much cheaper than the 300-400$ from ikea. Herman miller is like an 80's porche; modular, spares of everything, the very best performance, and you can sell it for the same price you bought it, or more.
I got to hand it to Herman Miller when it comes to build. Just fantastic. It will last for years. The ones at Ikea of Office supply stores are plastic and will degrade in a few years if lucky. Herman Miller will last many many years. I see why Aeron is so popular. It's designed so well. It's pretty much indestructible. It's funny it comes from where GM produced troubling cars.

Right now, I'm using Steelcase Leap V2, and do miss my old Aeron chair.

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #38 of 47
I bought mine used, in 2015, it's as new as when i bought it, use it 10 h per day min

Jul 4, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #39 of 47
So, I've been using Leap V2 for awhile now, and I luv it. I compared it with a cheap Chinese made chair, and I see why people use high-end chairs. So much better for your back. The cheap Chinese ones will cause backache very quickly.

Steelcase now has a new fan.

Jul 7, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #40 of 47
I'm a big fan of the Ikea "Alefjall".

1625636641880.png

Jul 7, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #41 of 47
I'm a big fan of the Ikea "Alefjall".

I predict back pain from long sitting. it doesn't look like an ergonomic design, but just a classic visual design.

if you try out a truely ergonomic design like Herman Miller or Steelcase office chairs, you will notice why they were designed for long sitting. Why they are true office chairs. You have to sit with them for a day and then sit with another chair for a day to know why.

I'm really amazed how effective their chair are in prrventing back strain for such a long time. it's crazy.

And also, they last forever. At $1000 they are worth it for how durable they are. They build it to last. If you went with any other chairs, you'd keep buying new chairs every so often and that adds up.

I decided that I will use these chairs for lounging while listening to music as well. I just get a foot prop. Ames is too expensive for my blood. lol. However, I do want an Ekornes Stressless recliner. They are the best recliners.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #43 of 47
Thos Moser Chaise:

6C3A7254-BF8E-456B-94AE-E5EBA6CD900F.jpeg

Jul 11, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #44 of 47
One more vote for the herman miller aeron.
Bought it last week (new remastered version and full optional) and loooove it!

We spend tons of money on hifi gear, lets give some love to our back too !

Sep 2, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #45 of 47
I’m going to play on the nay sayers side of the Aureon chairs (original). Have 2 embody models at the office, they are much nicer and comfortable. Two issues I have with the original Aureon stem from lumbar support being kind of gimmicky for myself (I’m sure for most people it’s just fine, if not excellent). Another is for my model size (B) my legs are extremely uncomfortable/strained. I’m sure the size A would have been a better option but being 6 ft. tall was nowhere near the recommendations for the smaller size. A more trivial gripe is the arm rests slide down despite my efforts to lock them in position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back