Chair recommendations?
Mar 19, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #16 of 47
I've got two Aeron chairs I've had now for 15+ years and they're hardly showing wear, so that's a plus. Since we bought these, there are a lot more good choices, but back then, not so much (either high-priced designer chairs or junk from the office store). For me, the mesh seat and back is essential and very comfortable for my body type, and keeps my back and legs cool even in summer. I squirm around a lot in chairs, so most of the ergonomics are set once and forgotten. They are heavy though and fairly wide so not easy to slide under compact desks for drawers with a long drop.

That said, I think you know in the first 30 min if you like a chair. It either feels right or not, and all the ergo adjusting won't fix a back and seat the causes discomfort. I knew the Aeron was right for me the first time I sat in one and never looked back. My brother tried my chair and hated it.

Apr 13, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #17 of 47
I also have an Aeron and love it. Living in a hot climate the mesh is a must, I sit all day for work and I'm usually on my PC for a good portion of the night as well and my ass never feels uncomfortable.

On a side note there's a random foam piece that came off from under the seat somewhere, possibly the front--easy fix as it looks glued on; but I don't even think it is supposed to be there permanently as I haven't noticed a difference in comfort.

May 7, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #18 of 47
Ok my recommendation breaks the budget as well but it's a great chair. I suffer from chronic neck and muscle pain in both shoulders and went through maybe almost $15k in all of the typical well known premium chair brands and models with either a head rest or a high back to support my neck and nothing felt right until I called up one of those online boutique office chair stores and told the saleslady what I needed and she recommended the Nightingale cxo 6200 and it's been the best chair I've ever owned. I bought one for my office at work and one for my home office.

What I liked about it over the other chairs was that the arms could rotate and move forward and backwards. And the headrest was just right. Some were too hard or contoured with a shape that wasn't comfortable. It beat out brands from humanscale, steel case, and Herman Miller. It definitely isn't stylish and looks like your typical cheap mesh chair, but it's tough, comfortable, and the adjustable arms made using the computer even more comfortable to use. I do wish that they had a matching ottoman like those fancy brands have.

I remarkably took minor losses on my other chairs that I knew it wasn't for me in less than a week as I sold them to the other Realtors in my office. We're a boutique firm with the highest average grossing per person average (I brought the average down) in Las Vegas and everyone wants their client to see them sitting in an expensive looking chair and it was easy to sell it to people looking to upgrade.

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #19 of 47
I'm big on the Aerons too. I always have been. The challenge with them, or any chair really, is making sure you get the right sized seat; specifically the part your ass goes on. The measurement from your ass to the bend in your knee is of huge importance. If you end with a seat that's too deep, you'll run into comfort issues. You won't be able to sit in it properly with your legs bent at 90*. Further, a seating surface that isn't deep enough won't provide the required thigh support.

Fortunately, Aerons come in three sizes as far as I know. So for those that despise Aerons, make sure you're sitting in one that's properly fitted. It makes a massive difference.

That said, Aerons are stupid-expensive when brand new (IMHO, really, the only way to get them) and well outside our OP's budget. Avoid "Gaming" chairs like the plague. That includes the earlier mentioned DXRacer chairs. They're 100% garbage and will not last nor provide the proper support. Get an office chair, ideally. One that's actually properly engineered for ergonomics and support. Consider removing the arm rests completely (I do that with all of my chairs). Arm rests are almost always at the wrong height and don't allow your arms to hang properly and bend properly at 90* angles. Nuke 'em.

May 30, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #20 of 47
Stay away from "gaming chairs". An office chair with a high usage rating will go longer than anything and a lot of what's getting recommended is out of the budget and is dismissing a lot of personal preference on top of things that actually matter like your weight/height. I just use a Dormeo from Staples and it's not the best ever I've ever farted in but it definitely checks all my boxes.

Aug 17, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #21 of 47
Recently tried out Steelcase Uno. Super comfortable! What's interesting about this chair is that when you lean back, the back support will push the lower portion forward. So, it's mechanism automatically adjust to an ideal lumbar support. Really well thought out and engineered.

I wonder how other Steelcase chair compare? I've been quite interested in the Leap V2 chair.

Steelcase-Uno-12-0003185.jpg

Aug 21, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #22 of 47
Recently tried out Steelcase Uno. Super comfortable! What's interesting about this chair is that when you lean back, the back support will push the lower portion forward. So, it's mechanism automatically adjust to an ideal lumbar support. Really well thought out and engineered.

I wonder how other Steelcase chair compare? I've been quite interested in the Leap V2 chair.

I used a Leap V2 at my old office. Great chair, lots of adjustments to be made to. the only thing I disliked was that it was rather large, sitting on it there was like a good 3cm of extra space on either side of my butt.

Aug 27, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #23 of 47
As much as people don't like the hype of gaming chairs - when they do go on sale, they are super sturdy built and honestly it helps with posture for long sitting periods.

I picked mine up for 399.99 CAD on a black Friday deal and haven't looked back.

Some of the Secret Labs chairs have some nice logo options too if you are into that kind of stuff.

Aug 31, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #24 of 47
I have an Aeron chair, and I slouch in it as much as any other chair. The only chair that works for me is a Swopper chair because it forces me to sit up straight and activate my core.

Aug 31, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #25 of 47
I have an Aeron chair, and I slouch in it as much as any other chair. The only chair that works for me is a Swopper chair because it forces me to sit up straight and activate my core.
That's the thing. A real good chair prevents you from slouching. Try out the Steelcase Uno.

The issue with Swopper chair is you get tired too quickly, and you cannot constantly work your core like that. Standing desk is better for this (if you are trying to maintain core strength) as you can lower and sit at times as well.

You pointed out why sitting is so bad for people. The body gets used to the core support, and your core gets weak. So, this is where necessary core workouts should come in. Core workouts are important to maintain your back health.

Chairs are really important for people as they reach an old age. People start having back issues.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #27 of 47
As somebody who has a herniated disc C5 the only chair in 20 years that has not resulted in an aggravated back after 2 or 3 hours is my Aeron. We have Humanscales and Steelcase in the offices both result in back pain after an hour or 2. Steelcase For me are awful, no upper back support and no thigh support.

Dec 15, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #28 of 47
+1 for steelcase. I have a leap v2 and its the best chair I've ever had. Got it on craigslist like new for $200.

Jul 2, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #29 of 47
I got big luv for Herman Miller Aeron, but I just recently ran into a lower cost alternative. Herman Miller Celle.

Celle doesn't have the soft mesh surface, but hard textured material (looks like they have other versions with softer materials as well). May not be for those sensitive to hard materials, but man is the ergonomics on this chair super! The back supper is crazy good. You just adjust the knob in the bottom, and it will either harden or soften the back support movement.

Personally, prefer the harder material so that the support doesn't flex and keeps my back support in stiff position. It definitely prevents slouching, and that's the best part about this chair. Slouching leads to back pain in the long run. Most basic chairs causes slouching.

I cannot sit on any lazyboy or any of that sort. These back support chairs really got me addicted.

Herman Millers are built like tanks, very durable.

https://www.hermanmiller.com/products/seating/office-chairs/celle-chairs/product-details/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back