Chaintech AV-710 Setup Thread, Including True 44.1kHz Wolfson Output in XP
Aug 9, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #92 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by el_matt0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you need asio4all to run an av710?

No, but it sure helps if you want to run ASIO with an AV710.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: This post did not help anyone, and makes me sound like a jackass. I apologize.
All I really wanted to express is that I find ASIO4all to be a very useful tool for setting up ASIO in Foobar2000. It's kind of buggy sometimes, yes, but it makes my music sound better. And that's what I like.

Aug 10, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #93 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarinthegourd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any ideas on why Envy24 is showing up as unavailable? Does it matter if I select AC97 instead?

I don't use ASIO4ALL because it has been buggy in my experience, so I can't be sure. Yes, it does matter if you select AC97 because that's your onboard sound. This issue might be corrected by disabling the onboard sound in the BIOS (accessible by hitting either F1 or Delete when the computer is first booted).

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #94 of 512
so that was odd... I followed the instructions and there were two things I found peculiar:

ONE: No sound from the rear surround jack, I had to use the green line out jack.

TWO: I unplugged the headphones during playback and my system crashed. It wont boot up while the headphones are plugged into the line-out jack. It crashes when I plug them into the line-out jack. I assume this is bad. What's the deal here? Is the card fried or something?

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #95 of 512
1) Is there an advantage in using, 2CH Hi-Sample Rate >> KS >> 96k Hz, over the setup posted originally in the guide or is the setup in the original guide better?

2) Which setup would be the best?

foobar >> 96 kHz resampler >> KERNEL stream >> av710 >> 2CH Hi-Sample Rate >> black jack next to optical out
or
foobar >> 96 kHz resampler >> DIRECT stream >> av710 >> 2CH Hi-Sample Rate >> black jack next to optical out
or
the config posted by infinitessymphony in the guide:
foobar >> 48 kHz resampler >> KERNEL stream >> av710 >> 2CH >> black jack next to optical out

3) Should I be using the foobar equalizer or just leave it flat?

Aug 10, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #96 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by lim(x->0) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1)

av710 >> black jack next to optical out >> 2CH Hi-Sample Rate >> foobar >> KERNEL stream >> 96k Hz

Your ordering of processes is a bit mixed up, I think. Don't you mean something more like:

foobar >> 96 kHz resampler >> KERNEL stream >> av710 >> 2CH Hi-Sample Rate >> black jack next to optical out

Aug 10, 2007 at 12:26 PM Post #97 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarinthegourd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your ordering of processes is a bit mixed up, I think. Don't you mean something more like:

fixed it for consistency but I am still looking for an answer
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #98 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by event /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ONE: No sound from the rear surround jack, I had to use the green line out jack.

If sound is coming from the green jack, the card isn't setup right--the output is going through the VIA DACs and not the Wolfson. Give it another try... Also, you may want to try re-seating the card in its slot; your second issue sounds like a connection problem.

Quote:

1) Is there an advantage in using, 2CH Hi-Sample Rate >> KS >> 96k Hz, over the setup posted originally in the guide or is the setup in the original guide better?

or
foobar >> 96 kHz resampler >> DIRECT stream >> av710 >> 2CH Hi-Sample Rate >> black jack next to optical out
or
the config posted by infinitessymphony in the guide:
foobar >> 48 kHz resampler >> KERNEL stream >> av710 >> 2CH >> black jack next to optical out

3) Should I be using the foobar equalizer or just leave it flat?

1. No, there's no advantage. Software resamplers aren't anywhere near perfect, and I found that the sound quality was better without them.

2. IMO, the third choice, except that the guide does not say to resample. The idea is not to resample.

3. Ideally, it's best to go without EQ, but if you like what it does to the sound, go ahead and use it--just remember to click "Auto Level" when you're done making changes.

Aug 11, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #99 of 512
I use KS in fb2k. IIRC, asio4all isnt really bit-perfect (no, I dont care enough to argue about it) and i know KS works like a charm so why bother.

Just wanted to chime in to report that the nasty channel imbalance error that plagued me in the past two driver updates were eliminated with the latest driver set (forgot which ver). Couldnt be happier!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #100 of 512
I'm really surprised. The setup recommended in this guide sounds MUCH better than my previous setup.

Previous: AV710 with Prodigy7.1 firmware and drivers (native ASIO support), Foobar with ASIO

Current: AV710 with stock firmware and drivers, Foobar with KS @ 44.1

Aug 11, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #102 of 512
Quote:

I got the resampling tid bit from this setup guide which is also on the first page of this subforum along with this one.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=248641

Ah, I see... I suggested that the author change that part of the guide (see Post #15 on that thread) because it's misleading. It's actually a bad idea to resample to 48 kHz unless the sound card does not natively support anything but that rate (ex. Sound Blaster Audigy, Live!, onboard AC'97 audio, etc.).

The AV-710 natively supports streaming at 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 96 kHz, and 192 kHz, so you shouldn't need to resample.

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #103 of 512
Hi, I registered just to thank you for this free upgrade. I had previously used upsampling and the wolfson outs into an Accuphase E-202 and DCM Timewindows 3.
Wow, what a difference. Much improved resolution. And it worked the first time!
I might add that with the previous drivers and using a reciever with optical input I had bit perfect thru optical without using kernel streaming in Foobar.
Using the cpl I would select 44.1 khz output and when playing back in Foobar the cpl would always report 44.1 khz as the current ouput. Of course, I'm assuming that what actually left the pc and arrived at the amp was what the cpl reported.
It never sounded this good, though.
So, after reading thru the thread, I see you like the EMU products. Would a 0202 usb be much of an upgrade, iyho?

Aug 15, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #104 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by bilboda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, after reading thru the thread, I see you like the EMU products. Would a 0202 usb be much of an upgrade, iyho?

I've only heard the 1212M, which has clear upper-midrange detail and great resolution; according to what I've read and heard, this is the "Cirrus sound." The 0202 USB has a lower-tier Cirrus DAC, the CS4392 (as compared to the 1212M/1616M's CS4398, their current top-of-the-line DAC), so I imagine it retains some of the Cirrus house sound. It also has an amplified headphone jack, which is better than not having one.
biggrin.gif

Though I never listened to the AV-710 on a great system, it sounded like a fairly neutral card after disabling upsampling. It was decent, but not great at deciphering any particular frequency range. If you like the sound of the Wolfson DAC, you may find the AKM DACs to sound more like a direct upgrade (ex. 0404 USB's AKM AK4396), or you could move to a more analytical sound with a Cirrus DAC. Of course, the quality of a DAC's implementation is critical--I'm oversimplifying.

So, whether or not it would be an upgrade ultimately depends on your preferences for sound signature and music.
lambda.gif

Also, welcome to Head-Fi!

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #105 of 512
if i already have an external zhaolu dac, is the best course of action for me with my AV710 to still use the wolfson dac onboard and run that into my zhaolu, or would flashing the card to prodigy drivers (which im having trouble doing) and running it "bit-perfect" to my zhaolu be a more solid option?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back