Chaintech AV-710 Setup Thread, Including True 44.1kHz Wolfson Output in XP
May 28, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #61 of 512
Yes, that's the infamous "jumper mod" thread.

Quote:

...So, find JP3/4. Go over to the right about an inch, to the jumper bank labelled Front Audio. Now go down, and you'll see a chip marked U14. Directly below this are the jumpers in question...Now, these results have not been verified, but I thought there was increased bass, for one, and an overall tightening of the sound with this tweak.

As other people have said, this "mod" doesn't affect the Wolfson DAC output, and it's not even confirmed whether or not it's a desirable mod for the front channels. Note that this guy's equipment was limited to a pair of DIY modified Sennheiser HD-280s running out of a DIY CMoy amplifier described as "crappy."
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by gozu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about other applications that are not ASIO compatible? Media Player Classic and so forth? Do I change the settings for those?

There are no settings that you can change to bypass the mixer in the same way that KS and ASIO do, besides looking for plug-ins for the particular program. Bypassing the mixer with KS or ASIO is ideal, but just using DirectSound isn't so much worse (depending on your equipment and ability to hear differences). With a 2.1 computer speaker system, the difference probably won't be huge.

Basically, use audio programs for audio; there's no need to worry about specialized routing for everything else.

May 28, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #62 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's my guide for Windows XP. This is if you're interested in getting true 44.1 kHz audio from the Wolfson DAC rather than using inferior and processor-intensive software resampling algorithms to upsample.

This works with a good result. I agree, the resulting sound is neutral. This is now my preferred setting for the AV-710.

Thank you.

Louie

May 30, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #63 of 512
I've installed the 4.73b drivers but now I have no audio. The drivers installed successfully and the sound deck is operational. The sound files play but no audio reaches my speakers.

May 30, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #64 of 512
Are you sure you're plugged into the right output? Try switching to Hi-Sample rate--this is the Wolfson DAC's normal operating mode, so if this doesn't work, something isn't properly setup.

Until you have sound working, use Windows Media Player for your tests. This will eliminate possible KS/ASIO confusion.

Also note that with the "S/PDIF output trick" as listed on the first page, the volume meters in the Audio Deck will no longer display actual volume output.

May 30, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #65 of 512
Quote:

Are you sure you're plugged into the right output? Try switching to Hi-Sample rate--this is the Wolfson DAC's normal operating mode, so if this doesn't work, something isn't properly setup.

Until you have sound working, use Windows Media Player for your tests. This will eliminate possible KS/ASIO confusion.

Also note that with the "S/PDIF output trick" as listed on the first page, the volume meters in the Audio Deck will no longer display actual volume output.

I haven't reinstalled ASIO4ALL or foobar yet (I did a system restore to get rid of the 5.00b drivers earlier). As it turns out, my onboard soundcard was re-enabled and made default instead of the chaintek. The sound is working fine now.

I noticed that ASIO will only work for my envy if I'm not in Hi-sample mode. I assume I should leave all settings as they are
buffer size: 512, latency: 32 sample, no hardware buffer and Always resample 44.1 <-> 48 KHz.

I picked ASIO in foobar, not KS for envy24. Does everything look ok?

Now, I just have to figure out a way to make Foobar's interface less horrible. I wonder who figured it was a good idea NOT to have a volume slider anywhere in sight (i found it under a couple menu layers..). I'll start looking for skins.

May 30, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #66 of 512
Glad that it's working! I have System Restore disabled for that very reason--who knows what settings were different at the last restore point? I figure it's better to manually remove the drivers.

You shouldn't need ASIO4ALL... Foobar's KS plug-in should work without the need for external software. Also, you don't want any resampling. I'm guessing that ASIO4ALL isn't working in Hi-Sample Rate mode (which you don't want anyway) because it would require you to resample Foobar's output to 96 kHz.

The volume slider in Foobar is in the lower-right corner (default: 0.00 dB). For proper gain staging, it should be left at 0 dB... Just adjust the volume with your speakers.
icon10.gif

May 31, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #67 of 512
Quote:

Glad that it's working! I have System Restore disabled for that very reason--who knows what settings were different at the last restore point? I figure it's better to manually remove the drivers.

You shouldn't need ASIO4ALL... Foobar's KS plug-in should work without the need for external software. Also, you don't want any resampling. I'm guessing that ASIO4ALL isn't working in Hi-Sample Rate mode (which you don't want anyway) because it would require you to resample Foobar's output to 96 kHz.

The volume slider in Foobar is in the lower-right corner (default: 0.00 dB). For proper gain staging, it should be left at 0 dB... Just adjust the volume with your speakers.
icon10.gif

Using the KS option for Envy24 in foobar gives me the error: "Unrecoverable playback error: KS output error: error opening device"

I installed the dark panel config which comes with a volume slider. I'm not sure how to set it to 0 dB though.

My audiodeck is set to 2 speakers (non hi sample). Any ideas?

May 31, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #68 of 512
That error usually indicates a sample rate issue. If you have the card setup according to the guide, you'll need to make sure that nothing is resampling the signal... If the resampler plug-in in Foobar is active, you'll need to remove it.

Just to double-check... Are your speakers plugged into the black Alt. Out. / "Back Surr." jack (not the green line out jack)?

Edit: Cool Foobar skin... 0 dB is at maximum volume (all the way up)--just think of 0 dB as "full scale," as in full output.

Jun 3, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #70 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by hijodeltiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
infinitesymphony, with this setup, there's no 96KHz support, is there?

That's correct... But, all you have to do is click the Hi-Sample Rate button in the Audio Deck and you'll have 96/192 kHz selectable sample rates. Getting high-res support out of the card is easy--getting 44.1/48 kHz audio out of the card is the tricky part.
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #71 of 512
I just recently bought this card, and i can only get the front 2 channels to come through the SPDIF optical out. The other channels, rears and center, come through the analog outputs. Does this card not support 5.1 through the SPDIF optical out?

I got one of the cards that doesn't have a labeld "ALT OUT", like the previous posts. Also my card has a front panel connecter, along with the other jumpers. I've not touched the jumpers. I've gotten everything to work except 5.1 through SPDIF optical out
blink.gif

Jun 19, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #72 of 512
I've never used the digital output feature of the card, so that's beyond my knowledge. Do you have it set up for multi-channel in the Audio Deck? Keep in mind that my guide is for stereo analog output, not multi-channel digital output.

Here's what one person on another forum had to say: "It's funny how everyone thinks hooking up optical/digital provides 5.1 channels through one cable for everything, even though it's only the case for pass-through streams from videos, and not games." Also, "...their optical output only encodes 2 channels (L/R) into an optical signal, and can pass-through 5.1 AC3 format signals."

You might consider flashing to Prodigy firmware, which is discussed in several other threads. Apparently the Prodigy drivers are much better for digital output, though they will disable the card's analog outputs.

Could you post a picture of the back of your card? Perhaps Chaintech has issued a revision. If so, I'll make an addition to the first post.

Jun 20, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #73 of 512
Quote:

Originally Posted by legend_jo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just recently bought this card, and i can only get the front 2 channels to come through the SPDIF optical out. The other channels, rears and center, come through the analog outputs. Does this card not support 5.1 through the SPDIF optical out?

I got one of the cards that doesn't have a labeld "ALT OUT", like the previous posts. Also my card has a front panel connecter, along with the other jumpers. I've not touched the jumpers. I've gotten everything to work except 5.1 through SPDIF optical out
blink.gif

The card can output 5.1 throught both Dolby Digital and DTS via the SPDIF out.

Jun 20, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #74 of 512
Yeah, i just figured it out. The audio test in the driver software does not completely go through SPDIF , that's what was throwing me off. The test only sent the front two channels through SPDIF optical out
mad.gif
. I ran a DVD movie with POWERdvd and was able to get full 5.1 the SPDIF optical out...so i guess it needs the proper software to run 5.1? Not obvious enough for me, and just a little too late. I already ordered a replacement card
frown.gif

Thnx anyways...

Jun 29, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #75 of 512
I finally tracked down a second hand AV-710 but now I'm wondering if I got sold a dud. With any version of the drivers installed I get absolutely nothing out of headphones plugged directly into any of the jacks. I just now tried plugging a pair of crappy $10 speakers into the green jack and with every available volume knob and bar maxed, I can just hear the music if I put my ear right up to the speaker.

Does this card just need really really beefy amplification from every single jack or should I be complaining? I don't mind buying a Cmoy or something but I'd rather not if it's not going to fix my problem.

For some reason the only non-budget sound cards sold new in New Zealand are Creative ones. I've been resisting getting one for about five years but this may just be enough to make me pick up an X-fi
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back