CES 2017: MQA announces TIDAL Masters, and more
Jan 5, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #17 of 702
How can you tell which version of an album is being played? There is nothing to indicate which albums have Master copies. 

In the albums section, there's a masters tab. When you play it, its annotated with master where it's normally labelled 'hifi'

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #19 of 702
Did Tidal say anything about how much of their catalog will be available in MQA? It does sound very nice but I thought they said it was taking forever to implement because they were converting their whole catalog. 200 albums is tiny and most of it is crap I don't listen to. 

Jan 5, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #20 of 702
Really excited about this even if it's only a handful of albums to start with, I'm sure more are coming. Just hope it comes to mobile soon, if I'm sitting at my desk and listening I already have all my hi res music available on JRiver so mobile is what I'm really looking forward too.

Jan 5, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #21 of 702
Is there a way/workaround to avoid the 'noise' when switching from one rate to another?

Jan 5, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #22 of 702
Did Tidal say anything about how much of their catalog will be available in MQA? It does sound very nice but I thought they said it was taking forever to implement because they were converting their whole catalog. 200 albums is tiny and most of it is crap I don't listen to. 

I would hope that they are only releasing albums for which high res is already available. If they just upsampled the rest of the catalog it would defeat the purpose.

Jan 5, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #23 of 702
Its more beeing added just now while i was listening..

How do i find out if my dac supports MQA ? (using CMA800i) I do get sound no matter if i choose to -Passthrough MQA-  Or not. I think its better when the box is not checked but I'm not sure.

(On my MHA100 it seems to give 24/48 when its checked, and 24/96 when its not on)

Jan 5, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #24 of 702
  Its more beeing added just now while i was listening..

How do i find out if my dac supports MQA ? (using CMA800i) I do get sound no matter if i choose to -Passthrough MQA-  Or not. I think its better when the box is not checked but I'm not sure.

(On my MHA100 it seems to give 24/48 when its checked, and 24/96 when its not on)

There are only a handful of DACs that fully unwrap MQA files. Any DAC will play them and will sound better than CD quality but you need a Meridian approved DAC to get everything. Its kind of a ****ty marketing scheme if you ask me. Most DAC builders are digging in their heels because they don't want to pay the licensing fees.

Here is the list of full MQA DACs under "Playback Partners" (The selection sucks are the good ones are stupid expensive)

Link: http://www.mqa.co.uk/customer/our-partners

Jan 5, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #26 of 702

Here is the list of full MQA DACs under "Playback Partners" (The selection sucks are the good ones are stupid expensive)

Just got the Onkyo DP-X1A and it is great! You can get the Pioneer XDP-100R for less than $300 which also support MQA so that is also an option. 

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #27 of 702

There are only a handful of DACs that fully unwrap MQA files. Any DAC will play them and will sound better than CD quality but you need a Meridian approved DAC to get everything. Its kind of a ****ty marketing scheme if you ask me. Most DAC builders are digging in their heels because they don't want to pay the licensing fees.

That means that most of the high end dac`s won't support it. So if the setting Passthrough MQA is not checked in tidal, does that mean that the computer does the job and not the dac? In that case, how much quality would get lost?

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #28 of 702
  Where is this "Passthrough MQA" people are mentioning?

Its in tidal under settings for your dac, under streaming when you click the hifi or master down in the bottom right of tidal.

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #29 of 702
  MQA Passthrough should only be enabled for a DAC that has built-in MQA decoding.

FWIW, like up sampling, this may be best handled by the host computer (assuming it has the CPU to do so), as that can be optimized over time, unlike the DAC which will likely always have the same implementation.

It does create a noticeable, but not bothersome, load on my '15 MBP i5.

Sounds great, as indicated above.

Nope. For a complete summary of this topic, see Q42:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/694-comprehensive-q-mqa-s-bob-stuart/

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #30 of 702
Hmm well I am a Tidal subscriber, have a Pioneer XDP-100R and a Macbook Air (mid 2012) - any ideas on how to connect the XDP to the macbook to then stream the MQA files from the laptop app?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back