Centrance upcoming product for Iphone 5 above and Ipod Touch 5 : Hi Fi SKYN
Mar 8, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #511 of 1,140
HD650 will be used around the house. I'll have to wait for more detailed reviews regarding some of the newly released closed headphone options for travel - the EL-8 and PM-3 (these both have closed options, right?) are very tempting purchases to pair with the Hi Fi SKYN for travel.

Mar 8, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #512 of 1,140
  Hi - would be very keen to know what headphones you plan to use the Skyn with ... please add to the list below ...

• Audeze EL-8 >
  • Audeze LCD-2 >
  • Audeze LCD-3 >
  • Audeze LCD-X >
  • Oppo PM-1 or PM-2 > 1
  • Oppo PM-3 >
  • Beyerdynamic T1 > 
  • Beyerdynamic T51i or T51p > 1

Please feel free to add other headphones to the list above

Will be comparing to my Schiit stack (Bifrost+Lyr) with Alpha Dogs, for kicks.  Will be very surprised if it comes close to the much-more-expensive desktop separates...  Skyn + Alpha Dogs will be my travel rig (should be great for music & movies on flights!)  Main use day-to-day will be portable with my beloved Sennheiser HD25-IIs.

Dunc

Mar 10, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #513 of 1,140
I don't know if this is possible but, if CEntrance does make an app I would love to see this feature. To me the best part of this is to be able to have a compact way to stream Tidal on the go in an easy compact setup however there is one thing that tidal is missing and that is EQ. Not even sure if this is possible but if CEntrance had that option to be able to set an EQ curve on any audio leaving the iPhone i would be a very happy person.

Apr 1, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #514 of 1,140
Bump.

I'm hoping to revive this thread a little. In fact, I'm surprised there isn't more activity considering the Skyn was just demoed at CanJam and the product is supposed to be released in the next month or two. Is anyone still excited? Any impressions?

Apr 1, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #515 of 1,140

I am über excited about the Skyn, especially since I just recently got the Oppo PM3 and am desperate to hear this combo. I don't know why, but this campaign seems to have gone on for a long time. Maybe because so many new products have been released recently. it looks realistically like we won't get our hands on these until around June at the earliest so trying to put it out of my mind to dampen the anticipation. I am sure it will be well worth the wait but wish it would come sooner. : ) So tempting to rush out and buy other dac/amps for portable use with my PM3 but fighting the urge and trying to be patient. 

Any impressions from peeps who were lucky enough to attend CanJam would be great though.

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #519 of 1,140
 How did it feel in the hand, size-wise? Did it seem like it might be difficult to fit In a pocket? I keep imagining it to be about the length of a tv remote.

I'm interested in this too. What phone did they have?
I have the 6+ and would be adding onto what's already a "largish" phone.

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #520 of 1,140
It made the phone about half again as thick and maybe a third again as long. At first I thought it seemed kinda big but the more time I spent the less I noticed it. I think it would fit in a leg or back pocket well but not a front. I checked the 5/5s prototype, with the 6/6 plus being bigger then the case will be bigger, unsure it that will make it unusable or not. I'm planning on using it with my iPhone 5s until I upgrade then putting my itouch in it and I think it will work fine. future.....?

Jim

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #521 of 1,140
Yes the 5/5s Skyn works with the iPod Touch 5th gen.

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #522 of 1,140
It made the phone about half again as thick and maybe a third again as long. At first I thought it seemed kinda big but the more time I spent the less I noticed it. I think it would fit in a leg or back pocket well but not a front. I checked the 5/5s prototype, with the 6/6 plus being bigger then the case will be bigger, unsure it that will make it unusable or not. I'm planning on using it with my iPhone 5s until I upgrade then putting my itouch in it and I think it will work fine. future.....?

Jim

I keep thinking it would be better, or at least more pocketable, if it were designed to be placed behind the phone with a "lip" serving as a dock for the phone on the bottom. So basically, it would thicken the phone but not lengthen it, placing the bulk of the device behind the phone. Of course, that would make it less sexy and slim and maybe less attractive to mainstream buyers. But as someone used to having stackable bricks in my pocket, it seems like this could be a very slim brick. I just can't imagine using something that I can keep in my front pocket.

Anyways, just my two cents and I'm probably in the minority. I don't want to detract from this wonderful concept by CEntrance and I hope it's a trend that catches on. Seems to be an amazing piece of technology as it is.

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #523 of 1,140
I keep thinking it would be better, or at least more pocketable, if it were designed to be placed behind the phone with a "lip" serving as a dock for the phone on the bottom. So basically, it would thicken the phone but not lengthen it, placing the bulk of the device behind the phone. Of course, that would make it less sexy and slim and maybe less attractive to mainstream buyers. But as someone used to having stackable bricks in my pocket, it seems like this could be a very slim brick. I just can't imagine using something that I can keep in my front pocket.

Anyways, just my two cents and I'm probably in the minority. I don't want to detract from this wonderful concept by CEntrance and I hope it's a trend that catches on. Seems to be an amazing piece of technology as it is.

This has been done before (e.g., VentureCraft), and analysis indicated that the traditional stack setup is not very convenient with thinner bags and cases.  This is why Mike (CEntrance) opted to lengthen the design instead.

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #524 of 1,140
This has been done before (e.g., VentureCraft), and analysis indicated that the traditional stack setup is not very convenient with thinner bags and cases.  This is why Mike (CEntrance) opted to lengthen the design instead.

Interesting. I didn't know about the Venturecraft. I would think this could be done significantly slimmer these days, but maybe I'm wrong. Considering the tiny size of the Skyn, couldn't those electronics be spread out over the larger surface area of the phone while made thinner? Maybe it's too expensive getting things that slim for a project of this scale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back